G'day from Mac in Melbourne

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Just a quick intro about myself: I'm located in the inner(ish) northern suburbs of Melbourne. I have always been a bit of a fossicker / scavenger and I was lucky enough to be given a detector by my wife & kids for my birthday late last year. It would be fair to say I've been hitting it pretty hard ever since... maybe my wife is starting to regret it :p

My first few hunts in the local parks would have to be described as failures learning experiences. I quickly worked out that I needed a pin pointer and a proper digging tool, and I haven't looked back since. I have mainly been hunting in my local area, but have also managed a couple of half days in the GT. I'm been mainly looking for coins and relics, but am interested in doing a bit of gold panning/detecting down the track too.

Seeing what everyone here has managed to find has been really motivational for a newb like me, thanks for running such a great forum.

Cheers from Mac

G'day Mac welcome to PA keep an eye on the members section for organised meet ups and get involved :Y: You'll be welcomed and get to see some gear chew the fat and learn how everyone goes about it, enjoying a camp fire and fun will help :)

Welcome from Dave as well Mac, I like your moniker, I've got an old jockey mate that lives round the corner and his nick name is Jackel, he went to Iran to ride in the 70s and during the night the Jackels used to come down from the hills to scaveng for food in the outskirts of Theran and they'd be howling to each other, my old mate used to get up on top of his apartment block after he'd had a few sherbets and spend the night howling with them, wasn't much else to do there he reckoned, anyway now he's just Jackel to everyone. Cheers mate and good luck :beer:

Thanks for the welcome everyone, appreciate it.

RM - will keep an eye on it - gotta say getting out for some detecting, a campfire and a yarn sounds pretty great :perfect:

Dave - that's classic, your mate sounds like quite the character, he must have some great stories to tell.

Cheers guys from Mac

David-Karratha said:
Mac, I hope youre not related to the infamous Carlos?

No David, definitely no relation!

During the 90s, my brother and I had a few movies we had taped of the TV that we watched pretty much until the tapes wore out. We had Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (could be the root of the treasure hunting obsession) and James Bond The Living Daylights. We also had The Day of the Jackal, the 1970s movie starring Edward Fox as the Jackal - one of those classics where you are barracking for the bad guy as he evades capture by the detectives hunting him.

Mac

Latest posts