Wally69's Nugget Hunting Practice. The By-Catch.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got gold and silver today, both interesting finds

1433139902_image.jpg

Do you remember the days whe you use to purchase your pesticide dispenser with a fancy engraved gold plated warning label?

No? Me neither, Bayer was established in 1863 and the U.S. suspended trade with them in WW1, so if us Aussies did the same, the tag is possibly from the turn of the century.

9gms of Silver seems to be a hat cord brooch. Darn stone was missing and I could not locate it in the adjacent dirt.

1433139954_image.jpg

If only the stone was there Wally,... still great finds and good conversation pieces.

silver said:
If only the stone was there Wally,... still great finds and good conversation pieces.

I think I will have to go out for another look as it is a Mexican bolo tie, possibly one of the early ones made by Frank Patania Sr. and would most likely have contained a nice Turquoise cab.

Fine sieve,... on site and go like the billy-o.
Wally69 said:
silver said:

I think I will have to go out for another look as it is a Mexican bolo tie, possibly one of the early ones made by Frank Patania Sr. and would most likely have contained a nice Turquoise cab.

Nice to see a shilling pop,.. I was thinking shilling today myself(not that it happened), good pair of silvers Wally.

I have been having a dry spell on the silvers and starting to think I had a bad case of rocketitis. The hunt stared out in typical fashion with six BBs in a row then it all came good in a 2m x 2 m area. :lol:

It's interesting how one side of the 3p is brilliant and the other not, seems to be common with my local dirt.

1433458124_image.jpg

Was it clay Wally or darker soil with decoposed organic matter? I think the darker soils are way more acidic than clays which I think are generally a bit more alkaline around here. A lot of the modern coins I found the other day were starting to lose features, it was damp dark organic type soil, which I'm sure would be acidic, some coins were not even that old.

Must be electrolysis in certain soil types.

These two were down in the clay at 6 to 8" but must have started their journey as lawn spill. The goldies were a good 4" deep in the topsoil just above the clay, very deep for such a short time in the ground.

Had a short but colourful hunt today. The earring could be 9ct gold and was found under a ringpull. I would normall dismiss a bouncing target ID on the 705 as a ringpull but this one gave an unusual double response in the pinpoint mode.

1434024989_image.jpg

Wally I find the same thing with the coins around my area in Sydney, one side is almost like new and the other is severely corroded and illegible! An amazing phenomenon.

Nice looking silvers Wally,.. and gold to boot,.... Well done on that score ! :lol: .

Thought I would post a photo of relics from an old alluvial spot I tried yesterday. I knew my luck would change when I found the horse shoe; always seem to find a nugget shortly after and it didn't dissapoint, it was the very next target and one of two for the session.

1435747749_image.jpg

The 1800's folding knife/fork is pretty cool. It took a bit of cleaning to work out what it was as i could only see the knife butt and a couple of unusual blobs when it came out of the ground.

Latest posts