Wally69's Nugget Hunting Practice. The By-Catch.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sandta said:
Inside the ring pull is my guess ;)
Love that dog tag , its a beauty :p

Do you get to keep it if you spot it first ?
And did the dog rot out of that collar or what ?
And the nuggie is sitting in the bottom right side button" lowest button hole".

silver said:
Sandta said:
Inside the ring pull is my guess ;)
Love that dog tag , its a beauty :p

Do you get to keep it if you spot it first ?
And did the dog rot out of that collar or what ?
And the nuggie is sitting in the bottom right side button" lowest button hole".

Correct, but too much had work getting that one to let it go.

1430955898_image.jpg

No bones but two bullets under the tree, poor Rover

Good onya Wally, poor rover "yes"(could tell by the collar still done up),.... good looking little nuggie, well scored.

I was a little horrified when you found that collar and chain still attached to the tree mate. Was a lot of work for that 1 tiny nug, at least you got 1. The Gold gods are dirty on me for some reason.

Here's my coin from the time of Emperor Nasi Goreng......... :lol: It's pretty corroded, that soil there must be nasty.

1430970368_20150507_134036.jpg

Some interesting relics sure did pop out of the ground Heath but the trip felt a bit like this at times

1430971195_image.jpg

Sure did feel that way mate, just glad you thought to bring the bottle of JD, helped ease the angst a bit. I had fun regardless, better than hanging out at home by a long shot. Got to wash the Prado this arvo. :)

For those that are thinking WTF, they got gold and coins.

Wattle Flat and Sunny Corner are our closest goldfields but are also our detecting nemesis'. We also failed to reach two destinations due to forestry works and and almighty bog hole.

We did get the chance to explore some new ground and find the source of the mighty Turon making it a memorable trip. :cool:

Was a great couple of days doing some exploring, I highly rate Prado's for offroad ability now also...... as that hill coming out of that middle of nowhere area was rough as hell, was wondering if we would make it. All those Blackberry scratches polished off the truckster too with the Maguires quick wax, great stuff that.

I'm glad we didn't attempt the bog hole, I think we would have been camping there with a long walk out if we had. I need some recovery gear, next on the list to buy I think.

Found another lead seal

1431600640_image.jpg

Looks like there are some hand carved/stamped numbers on the back so I have had it in the ultrasonic cleaner for a while

the front reads 'Packer' 'London' 'Joh..ston.....' But there is still too much crud on the back.

Does anyone know if Alibrite or H2Cl will eat into lead?

I don't think HCL will damage lead mate, could be wrong though. Should nail the Iron way faster than the Lead even if it does react slightly.

Wally69 said:
Not sure what this is, might be a bonnet emblem off an old car ?????

Wally, I think that served more purpose than merely being an emblem or ornament.

Before the hood ornament came the motometer, an ornate thermometer affair that screwed into the radiator cap; it was intended to keep the driver informed of the engine coolant temperature.

With improved, thermostatic cooling, the motometer went out the window in the late twenties, to be replaced by sometimes very elegant hood mascots. These were offered initially by accessory houses then, in 1930, by Cadillac itself. The first automotive motometer was introduced by a Mr. Boyce in 1912. The fashion soon caught on. Cadillac added its famous script and coat of arms to it. When the temperature gauge was moved to the instrument panel, an empty space was left atop the radiator; the hood ornament filled it adequately.

Wally69 said:
Thanks guys, love getting those nuggets out to reminisce sunnier, golden times. :p

Darn rain has had me stir crazy, hence the trench/relic/gold art. I think I should start a new pseudo-religion called the Synoptic Prospectors. We could follow the high pressure weather systems around the world and congregate on alluvial grounds.

Thankfully the weather cleared and I managed to sneak out this evening. I am happy to report I celebrated my 1001 post with a 1920 HP and some expensive Italian silver. Heart almost stopped with the NZ 2 bucks, it didn't feel like a dollar and the shine in the twilight had me wondering if the sovereign is smaller or bigger? Blood pressure returned to normal when I saw a familiar lady on the reverse.

It has been a fun building up to the 1000 and the forum has introduced me to some great people for which I am a very lucky man.

Thanks to all. :cool:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1430646836_image.jpg

I have that silver pendent in my draw in front of me! 2 grams of 999 lol

My mrs went to thow it out some few months back and I had to explain to her the importance of rare metals, even if it's $1.40 of silver lol

I found something similar to this squashed penny. It was amongst a heap of other pennys and half pennys. My belief is that it was something forged as a fake to throw in a bucket.. a gambling game i heard that was played back then.

Latest posts