Victorian prospector unearths 145-ounce gold nugget

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes looking a bit sus isn't it. New Gold Detecting show airing soon 4 kg nugget found this week, School holidays coming up . A well know detector model finding it.. I don't like coincidences. . it's a bit much.

But Good on the bloke that found it ...Cheers and drink the Champagne mate.

Wishfull said:
Yes looking a bit sus isn't it. New Gold Detecting show airing soon 4 kg nugget found this week, School holidays coming up . A well know detector model finding it.. I don't like coincidences. . it's a bit much.

But Good on the bloke that found it ...Cheers and drink the Champagne mate.

Well they found some nice nuggets in last weeks episode 3 and I got episode 4 to watch on TV on Monday, So you can guess what I'm doing Monday night, :D :D :D

John.

Ridge Runner said:
Goldpick said:
The article didn't mention a whisper at 12", he actually thought it sounded like a horse shoe (meaning loud). He also mentioned that he could just visually make out the very top of the nugget at 12", which sounds like it was sitting on end in the hole, which would only expose a relatively small cross section to the detector.

I don't think he would want his personal GPZ pictured in the article, might give away his identity if using specific covers etc. Either that or he had it stripped down and cleaned for the photos.

The nuggets have obviously been cleaned for a publicity shot (after the fact), reckon I'd do the same if it meant a few $$$ were coming my way from Minelab for a bit of a plug. :)

I have seen about 5 or 6 reports about it and the first one said it was a "whisper" which is why I am confused about it and all the other reports are cut and pasted from the news paper The Age, So it's no wonder it don't add up.

John.

Maybe a bit of creative license going on there, nothing stays in its original format once the press get hold of a story. ;)

Anyway, good to see a large chunk of gold getting around, regardless of the backstory.

After watching that 4 corners show, I can,t believe anything reported on TV as absolute anymore. News paper reports are usually rehashed versions of TV reports. Add advertising , and the truth is somewhere in the middle, or only partial revealed.
Great to see such a big find though!

I haven't got much faith in the aussie gold hunters show cause that ia filmed by screen australia and they where the ones who got there detectors stolen from the whipstick now if your there filming pro swingers why would you hire 3 detectors from coiltek to film you would think the pros would have there own gear and some thats only my thinking l hope its not all put on and they throw a couple well known prospector to get us sucked in

davent said:
Add advertising , and the truth is somewhere in the middle, or only partial revealed.

Spot on as you never know who is in bed with who and for what reward.

Now I heard a very interesting angle on this story yesterday from one person whose information I felt I could rely on, so here goes....

1. There is reported to be a picture floating around of that very same nugget sitting on an old Coiltek coil and that it was certainly not found with a GPZ.

2. It was detected in pushed ground in WA some time ago.

3. Something about Coiltek owning rights to images of the nugget and Minelab paying to use the nugget sitting on top of the much discussed GPZ coil and other pics.

4. The prospector was approached by Minelab and asked to keep it quiet for a bit until they organised their media release (they in turn grease his palm).

5. Media release very conveniently timed for the school holidays (a theory already presented on this thread) no doubt a sales boost would result.

Personally I think if it was genuinely detected by a lucky prospector a huge CONGRATULATIONS to him.

If not, and it it is all fabricated to drive sales SHAME ON the people who put this into play. Just be honest.

I don't care if it was found in pushed ground on a lease or detected by a hobbyist out having some fun, it's a great and enviable find either way.

IN NO WAY AM I CLAIMING ANY OF THIS TO BE ACCURATE OR TRUE, simply reporting a version i had been presented with and thought quite interesting.

more reasons to give to the government the "power" to close more areas due of possible fabricated finds, as well as sales add ... my thoughts ....

Jeez we're a funny bunch us detectorists :rolleyes: - full of pessimists & subscribers to conspiracies. No wonder people shy away from showing finds of any kind let alone significant ones!
The last significant one to come to light in the media was treated with the same jealousy, disdain, misinformation & efforts to discredit anyone involved. In the end that bloke ended up being nothing more than a down to earth family bloke that got lucky & cashed in on it a bit. The media was used to raise the profile of the nugget before selling. I don't see this as much if any different at all - the media is being used prior to sale & Minelab have jumped on it as they did before. Good luck to them & good luck to the finders.
Personally I don't buy into all the which machine, where was it found, is it fake, is it an old nugget crap. I don't care - it was found & it should give us all a bit more hope when out having a go. There is more than sub grammers left 8)

mbasko said:
Jeez we're a funny bunch us detectorists :rolleyes: - full of pessimists & subscribers to conspiracies. No wonder people shy away from showing finds of any kind let alone significant ones!
The last significant one to come to light in the media was treated with the same jealousy, disdain, misinformation & efforts to discredit anyone involved. In the end that bloke ended up being nothing more than a down to earth family bloke that got lucky & cashed in on it a bit. The media was used to raise the profile of the nugget before selling. I don't see this as much if any different at all - the media is being used prior to sale & Minelab have jumped on it as they did before. Good luck to them & good luck to the finders.
Personally I don't buy into all the which machine, where was it found, is it fake, is it an old nugget crap. I don't care - it was found & it should give us all a bit more hope when out having a go. There is more than sub grammer's left 8)

I don't think jealously is involved, I'm happy just using my machines, Would a find like that make a difference ? of course it would, Am I bothered ? No. My detecting is about what I enjoy, For me it is more about the machines and pushing them to the limits the finds make it fun, Good luck to who ever found it, One thing for sure he's gonna have a bugger of a job Topping That,

John.

Mbasko well said. As an ex-Minelab employee I know how finds and success stories etc were handled, and some of the rumours and "heard from a reliable source" type comments are sometimes so far from the truth that all you can do is sit back and laugh.

The only time finds and success stories were not immediately posted was when we were gathering articles for the Minelab Times magazine. Also the length of time it takes to get a story, good photos, and finally written permission to share the find. Finds and success stories sell detectors, it's that simple.

Congrats to the finder!

Ultimately no one finds out about any of this unless the finder tells someone. If he wants to make a few more bucks by involving business or the media, then that's up to him... but he probably loses the right to complain about any of the aftermath :)

All i can say is it's a great reward for a lot of hard work, and congratulations to the finder :)

Have a look at the color,to me it looks is funny for a Vic nugget,but thats my thoughts.

Regards Frank

Thats the beauty of modern day gold prospecting coupled with social media and online forums!

Its even easier than it was 100 years ago to hide the big one.

Just put the news out there....then let the rumors do the rounds, no one will ever get to the truth.

Your nugg is safe!

wink, wink :)

Latest posts