Victorian prospector unearths 145-ounce gold nugget

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, what a thrill it must have been to find that clunker. That nugget would get me a mortgage and pay some of it off. Honestly though I know I'd be way too tempted to spend it all on prospecting gear, a camper and a colossal prospecting adventure. The finder and I have a lot in common minus the nugget lol

DeathKiss said:
Weather was shitty for last 2 weeks ....needed to be muddy ...old discovery ...recently "shared"

At 2 feet the ground is still rock hard from my experience, pretty sure its the real deal. Gold bearing ground is hard all year round unless it's top soil.

Ridge Runner said:
There is no way would the ZED whisper on that Lump at 12", That thing would melt ya headphones at 2 feet, even a VLF would have screamed on that at 12 inches, there is a guy digging a 5 ozt at 30 inches on YT.

Reporters and their own twist to things and have no clue as to what any of the machines can do,

John.

Makes me wonder if it was indeed a GPZ that found these nuggets as promoting a product might be enticing for further rewards.

Good on the digger for honouring his sharing agreement! He deserves it just for that! Personally, I'm just looking forward to the flood of cheap Zeds that will be on eBay in a few months when all the wannabes realise: a) it's hard work, b) you gotta know what you're doing and research where to look, c) you don't always find gold first time, let alone within the first 6 months, d) you gotta know how to navigate, prepare for being in and like the bush, e) enjoy the solitary time without continual companionship/parties etc, e) be off the drugs, and f) their brownie points are running out very quickly!

BigWave said:
Good on the digger for honouring his sharing agreement! He deserves it just for that! Personally, I'm just looking forward to the flood of cheap Zeds that will be on eBay in a few months when all the wannabes realise: a) it's hard work, b) you gotta know what you're doing and research where to look, c) you don't always find gold first time, let alone within the first 6 months, d) you gotta know how to navigate, prepare for being in and like the bush, e) enjoy the solitary time without continual companionship/parties etc, e) be off the drugs, and f) their brownie points are running out very quickly!

Don't forget. Falling down a mineshaft, and the drop bears..lol

BigWave said:

Some might struggle with e) or maybe it might help :D

AU Fever said:
The first e) is my favourite out of all of those - "e) enjoy the solitary time without continual companionship/parties etc".

"e"
probably boils down to how well you get along with ya missus :) :) :) :)

Bogger said:
AU Fever said:
The first e) is my favourite out of all of those - "e) enjoy the solitary time without continual companionship/parties etc".

"e"

And how many 'e's you have :lol:

I think that we may find that the location was on private property that has not had significant historic prospecting done on it. Else such large targets would have been found with earlier detectors. While they say that they have cleaned up the area for about another oz worth, I applaud their hard work, approach and research to find the spot. Other like items are usually found the same way.

Rob.

paul_mac1 said:
Bogger said:
AU Fever said:

"e"

And how many 'e's you have :lol:

Haha, there was 2 "e)"s - "e) enjoy the solitary time without continual companionship/parties etc, e) be off the drugs"

Love the first one, don't do the second one ;)

Rush said:
Ridge Runner said:
There is no way would the ZED whisper on that Lump at 12", That thing would melt ya headphones at 2 feet, even a VLF would have screamed on that at 12 inches, there is a guy digging a 5 ozt at 30 inches on YT.

Reporters and their own twist to things and have no clue as to what any of the machines can do,

John.

Makes me wonder if it was indeed a GPZ that found these nuggets as promoting a product might be enticing for further rewards.

Yeah, I don't think it was, They said they found the small ones at 2 feet and the monster was 12 inches, And if it was a Whisper at 12 inches there was no way was it find with a minelab GP,SDC GPX or GPZ, I have dug loud coins at 12 to 14 inches with a VLF, That GPZ in the picture is a Setup Photo from minelab or one of his mates in the group.

John.

Ridge Runner said:
Rush said:
Ridge Runner said:

John.

Yeah, I don't think it was, They said they found the small ones at 2 feet and the monster was 12 inches, And if it was a Whisper at 12 inches there was no way was it find with a minelab GP,SDC GPX or GPZ, I have dug loud coins at 12 to 14 inches with a VLF, That GPZ in the picture is a Setup Photo from minelab or one of his mates in the group.

John.

? Big call there John. Ground composition, target orientation, machine settings, operator, hearing deficiency maybe. As you can tell I'm inclined to think it's the real deal. Anyway the bloke who found it knows and has delivered the goods with photos GPZ and all. I don't own a GPZ yet, do you. It seems of late any sizable nugget found is by virtue of the Z unless its a working claim and even then most would have one I suppose.

RM Outback said:
Ridge Runner said:
Rush said:
Ridge Runner said:

John.

John.

? Big call there John. Ground composition, target orientation, machine settings, operator, hearing deficiency maybe. As you can tell I'm inclined to think it's the real deal. Anyway the bloke who found it knows and has delivered the goods with photos GPZ and all. I don't own a GPZ yet, do you. It seems of late any sizable nugget found is by virtue of the Z unless its a working claim and even then most would have one I suppose.

Well I have owned A TDI SL, a TDI Pro and 2 GP 3500s and neither one of them would Whisper on such a Lump, even my MXT would have Over Loaded on something that big, My 3500 would/will Scream on that at 12 inches. My musketeer Advantage was loud on a piece of brass a 1/3rd of the size of that at 16 inches, The ZED can see 1 or 2 gram bits at 12 inches Plus.

I am pleased for the finder, But the Story does not match the Performance of the Machine, Out of Non Modified Machines the ZED is the deepest or most powerful there has ever been. So something is not right there somewhere.

John.

The article didn't mention a whisper at 12", he actually thought it sounded like a horse shoe (meaning loud). He also mentioned that he could just visually make out the very top of the nugget at 12", which sounds like it was sitting on end in the hole, which would only expose a relatively small cross section to the detector.

I don't think he would want his personal GPZ pictured in the article, might give away his identity if using specific covers etc. Either that or he had it stripped down and cleaned for the photos.

The nuggets have obviously been cleaned for a publicity shot (after the fact), reckon I'd do the same if it meant a few $$$ were coming my way from Minelab for a bit of a plug. :)

Goldpick said:
The article didn't mention a whisper at 12", he actually thought it sounded like a horse shoe (meaning loud). He also mentioned that he could just visually make out the very top of the nugget at 12", which sounds like it was sitting on end in the hole, which would only expose a relatively small cross section to the detector.

I don't think he would want his personal GPZ pictured in the article, might give away his identity if using specific covers etc. Either that or he had it stripped down and cleaned for the photos.

The nuggets have obviously been cleaned for a publicity shot (after the fact), reckon I'd do the same if it meant a few $$$ were coming my way from Minelab for a bit of a plug. :)

I have seen about 5 or 6 reports about it and the first one said it was a "whisper" which is why I am confused about it and all the other reports are cut and pasted from the news paper The Age, So it's no wonder it don't add up.

John.

Well if I found it I'd be putting out a few stories that didn't add up ...................... and could name a million reasons as to why I would do so. Men have died over much less. I think the find is what it is but very few would perhaps know the real story or in fact ever will ? The welcome stranger nugget was found over a hundred years ago yet do a web search even now and you will see how many conflicting stories there are still out there regarding the circumstances of it being found and I personally know most of them to be completely false .
Gold .................... ya gotta love it.

Seems a lot of fuss about nothing Once the Nuggets are in the bank there are gone for good, And there is little chance they missed any others because they would have raised their game after the first one was found,

It's a great find and something they will all remember forever So Good on them and I hope they find more,

John.

Latest posts