Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushpig

Jed
Reaction score
Thinking of moving down South for a few months. At this stage it will be only be for a few months with the possibility of extending.

Would really appreciate some ideas of decent towns to move to? Preferably in the bush and in or near the goldfields.

Cheers,

BP

Camping, caravanning or renting accommodation will ultimately have a bearing on where you decide to settle I would think.
GT

bushpig said:
Thinking of moving down South for a few months. At this stage it will be only be for a few months with the possibility of extending.

Would really appreciate some ideas of decent towns to move to? Preferably in the bush and in or near the goldfields.

Cheers,

BP
Maryborough and Ballarat are both biggish regional towns mate.
Maryborough is probably closer to the the dry, flat terrain gold areas with lots of other gold area options close by and is definitely warmer and drier than Ballarat if you like the heat.
Ballarat is a bigger town with more to do if you're into art, cinemas, eating out, shopping and is slightly closer to Melbourne. It's also a lot colder though and the goldfields are more vegetated and steeper and therefore harder to detect.
Have fun and good luck.

SCROUNGER said:
bushpig said:

Cheers,

BP
Maryborough and Ballarat are both biggish regional towns mate.
Maryborough is probably closer to the the dry, flat terrain gold areas with lots of other gold area options close by and is definitely warmer and drier than Ballarat if you like the heat.
Ballarat is a bigger town with more to do if you're into art, cinemas, eating out, shopping and is slightly closer to Melbourne. It's also a lot colder though and the goldfields are more vegetated and steeper and therefore harder to detect.
Have fun and good luck.

Thanks Scrounger have a lot to think about now.

Many people try to live out near me thinking its country and pleasant in the hills. That was true, about 25 years ago, now its a tourist area highly growing with towns and roads unable to support the residential population, very little council work or money put into the right spot. It 'was' nice. Many empty or derelict storefronts in the past 5 years

Haha yeah the shopping centres and main rd has had a few changes and stripped of all those big pine trees that were everywhere for some reason. I guess a risk to the hwy and york rd. Mt.Everyone changes I'd say are probably good ones though and useful. A lot more 'proud' than near yarra junction say

AtomRat said:
Haha yeah the shopping centres and main rd has had a few changes and stripped of all those big pine trees that were everywhere for some reason. I guess a risk to the hwy and york rd. Mt.Everyone changes I'd say are probably good ones though and useful. A lot more 'proud' than near yarra junction say
No loss stripping pine trees from anywhere outside there natural range imo Atom, environmental deserts are created wherever those trees are planted in Australia i reckon. I lived in Montrose for some years, bloody things were everywhere, blocking drains and stopping anything below them from growing, and they don't even make decent firewood :)

Yeah, I never said I disagreed. Many near my house have had to be taken down. They are way too big and there's no farm to mark anymore, just houses and courts lol. The pines rip up the roads with thier root systems here bad, and houses.

They make good wood for hand carving, wood turning and planks :)

I would like to move to somewhere around Albury

Close to Beechworth an short drive to Bendigo, not so far from Bright and has some gold workings around town

Employment, main north south freeway blah blah blah

Wow!! I am getting the travel bug myself now, maybe I could get a kick back or something from tourism Albury Wodonga :D :D :D

Cheers

Bazz

Gday BP,
I love Blackwood but it is a tiny community with very dense bush and very deep valleys and steep hills/mountains.
It's tough going prospecting whichever way you do it and hot in summer and colder than Ballarat.
Having said all that, I love going to that region.
Cheers Steve :)

Thanks Stoyve. The old man has fond memories of the place also of St Earth cottage do you know if it's still there?

Do you prefer big or small towns & will you be wanting to find work etc.
Some of the smaller towns might be an option, like Creswick, Daylesford etc, just depends what you want to do while down this way. If looking for work then close to, or in a bigger town would be a better option.
Bendigo might be alright, not as cold as here in Ballarat but probably hotter in summer.

bushpig said:
Thanks Stoyve. The old man has fond memories of the place also of St Earth cottage do you know if it's still there?
It's still there bushpig. I go detecting just behind st earth a place called Back creek, it's all overgrown and a lot of blackberrys making it hard to detect. I love the Wombat Forrest.

ozziii said:
Some of the smaller towns might be an option, like Creswick, Daylesford etc, just depends what you want to do while down this way. If looking for work then close to, or in a bigger town would be a better option.
Bendigo might be alright, not as cold as here in Ballarat but probably hotter in summer.

I will be looking for work but I have been driving an hour each way to work for a few years now. I prefer small towns in the bush but we will have look at locations with School's for the little one's. Thanks Ozziii

ozziii said:
Yeah, i forgot about Bendigo ozziii, also a largish regional town about and hour and a bit out of Melbourne but right on the gold and only a short distance to Maldon etc. Does get a lot hotter than Ballarat in summer but that's good if you like the heat. Lots of industry there as well.

Latest posts