VEGE PATCH. What's growing in yours?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1598172355_20200823_183349_compress66.jpg

Hard Luck said:
20xwater said:
Because getting lights put me 1 month behind I'm not sure if it's to late to germinate cherry tomatoes?
Anyone advice pls?

When is your main growing season 20x. Being about 1000k nth of Melb I don't see why it would be too late. I've only sown a few handful of tomato seeds so far. Will sow out the most in the next few weeks.

Hi Hard Luck,
Another (but expensive) option is to buy some seedlings from your local nursery. The least expensive option is to buy them in punnets which contain about 10 small seedlings which you can transplant into your garden. Otherwise you can buy well-advanced individual plants. Here in Melbourne I tend to put the individual plants into the ground during September. Some of my fellow tomato growers say this too early but it seems to work well enough for me. I tend to choose the "heirloom" varieties such as Apollo, Grosse Lisse, Rouge de Marmande and Tommy Toe. The last one is a delicious cherry tomato which, strangely enough, is not much bothered by blackbirds.
cheers,

onegram

onegram said:
Hard Luck said:
20xwater said:
Because getting lights put me 1 month behind I'm not sure if it's to late to germinate cherry tomatoes?
Anyone advice pls?

When is your main growing season 20x. Being about 1000k nth of Melb I don't see why it would be too late. I've only sown a few handful of tomato seeds so far. Will sow out the most in the next few weeks.

Hi Hard Luck,
Another (but expensive) option is to buy some seedlings from your local nursery. The least expensive option is to buy them in punnets which contain about 10 small seedlings which you can transplant into your garden. Otherwise you can buy well-advanced individual plants. Here in Melbourne I tend to put the individual plants into the ground during September. Some of my fellow tomato growers say this too early but it seems to work well enough for me. I tend to choose the "heirloom" varieties such as Apollo, Grosse Lisse, Rouge de Marmande and Tommy Toe. The last one is a delicious cherry tomato which, strangely enough, is not much bothered by blackbirds.
cheers,

onegram

Hi onegram,
Depending on time I will buy the punnet seedlings. But only cucumber and eggplant and sometimes corn.
I have my own heirloom tomato seed bank and only grow from that.
I have my favourites which I grow every season then I grow some older ones for fresh seed. Tomato seed can be viable up to 10 years.
I just use one of those 60 buck mini hot houses.

1599726384_20200910_180613.jpg

1599726384_20200910_180607.jpg

1599726385_20200910_180559.jpg

I have had my veggies in raised beds with what was supposed to be great soil mix purchased from Bega but veggies havent done a thing, am going to get soil tested

goody2shoes said:
I like the chooks :D
they follow me around all day. So much so I often trip over them and when I swing a pick they are always sticking there heads in the way to get the worms.

Used to make my own fertilizer when i was on the farm.

A third fill a 200 litre drum with cow dung and fill it with water, let it stand for 3 weeks to ferment.

You could grow a dry stick in that crap. :) :) :)

Keep it well covered to keep out the blowies and a fair distance from the back door. {)

EVIE/BEE said:
Used to make my own fertilizer when i was on the farm.

A third fill a 200 litre drum with cow dung and fill it with water, let it stand for 3 weeks to ferment.

You could grow a dry stick in that crap. :) :) :)

Keep it well covered to keep out the blowies and a fair distance from the back door. {)

Pretty much the same thing I do but stinging nettles, be a close race which one smells worse though....

Hampy said:
I have had my veggies in raised beds with what was supposed to be great soil mix purchased from Bega but veggies havent done a thing, am going to get soil tested

Had a similar experience, I purchased a trailer load of what was described premium garden soil from a landscape/nursery firm to top up some beds however it turned out to be mostly poor organic material and very little soil. When I complained they said they sourced it from ANL Australian Native Lanscapes and it was one of their best products. I ran it through my classifiers and showed them what it was made up of. They apologised and offered to replace it but by then most of it was spread throughout the garden, the rest I used as cat litter. Should I ever need to buy soil again, it will be straight sandy loam to which I will then add my choice of organic material.

Often the bought "soil" contains too much material that has not broken down enough and ends up locking up nutrients for a while like wood chips.

Goldfreak, exactly, more or less the case!!. Mine even had what looked like what I would describe as "blue metal fines" and suspiciously like stuff from a sewerage treatment plant. Gardners around here used to be able to buy what was called "Maitland Sandy Loam" it was the basic building block of great garden soil or top dressing for the lawn.

Latest posts