Turbopan information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i got a couple of these puppys for xmas needed a pan for the sweepings off the floor where i melt my metals
the outlaws bought me a couple of these lookin forward to using em :)

Hi all, I've recently seen on YouTube a "Turbopan" and it claims to be two or three times quicker than a normal pan. Any opinions on that?

I'm tempted to buy one, but is it the best?

Thanks. :Y: :)

I felt such a spaz trying you use one once!
I have wondered if if it could be adapted to an electric flat bed concentrator though.

I have never had any luck with my turbo pan but in saying that i have never given it the chance! I took to a conventional pan a lot quicker

They go alright, can be a bit painful to get black sands and fine gold out. No good for clays.

Often asked myself if i seeded the pan with a known amount how many pans could i agitate before some of it flew out?

Has its place but no silver bullet.

Liked my pyramid pro a hell of a lot more until some b@s#ard knocked it off with my sluice aswell which was sitting on my ute tray while I went to work. :mad:

Keep thinking about getting one sent over from the States one day in the not too distant future. Could do bulk dirt it in.

They are good for sampling areas...But if you want to just pan buy a Garrett or the minelab one.And if you need a pan for sluice cleanups just get a standard black one.JMO :Y:

They are ok, no holy grail but if you get the hang of the action it will work, and for Mudgee Hunter so will a hubcap or a dogs dish!

Hard in areas with bulk black sands.
I tend to pan down into another pan for the final cleanup, not a bad way to pan anyway. :goldpan:

Havent you seen them at the Mining Expo Gazza?
Local product, made by a local bloke/geologist/prospector, Kim Hillier, who's family found a rather large bit of Yella, down South I believe!

I like them, different, but work ok if you get the technique right!
Same as using a competition flat pan in the Open event, you need to have the technique down pat!

EDIT! I confused the OP with Diggerman60, Gary. My Apologies!

I'm a newbie Jaros so unaware they had been out that long, I thought it was a relatively new design lol.

Well, the majority here are calling the Turbopan a piece of junk lol. Shows how the videos can be so deceiving.

Anniegee I don't know if you are serious or there is a hidden meaning there. All good, but I suspect as you are the only real positive feedback that you are joking,

Thanks all, you've saved me on that one. :Y:

Hi Dig,

I bought a turbo pan when I first started and found the following to be the case when using at Deep Creek Gympie. Turbo pan hates any dirt with clay in it. Clay gets stuck in the pans riffles and stops the riffle action. Center of the pan is too small for any kind of finishing- i prefer a broad base pan like a Garret Super Sluice. Turbo pan will be OK in really gravelly areas with no or limited clay and would be good for test panning spots.

I dont use mine anymore other than to sit it at the end of my river sluice to check if any gold is washing through the sluice.

Ive seen one bloke use his as a nut and dip tray when its beer time.

My advice..get a garrett super sluice pan (one with wide base) and give it a good rub out with steel wool to condition the pan and get rid of any oils left in the pan from the manufacture process.
cheers
Mike

Digger58 said:
I'm a newbie Jaros so unaware they had been out that long, I thought it was a relatively new design lol.

Well, the majority here are calling the Turbopan a piece of junk lol. Shows how the videos can be so deceiving.

Anniegee I don't know if you are serious or there is a hidden meaning there. All good, but I suspect as you are the only real positive feedback that you are joking,

Thanks all, you've saved me on that one. :Y:

No, I was certainly not joking about the pan itself .. It's awesome and so quick .. but the :lol: emoji was put there because not every pan has gold in it.. which means I'm digging in the wrong spot.

I know heaps of people bag them out, but I'm happy with mine ... and maybe I just have a good technique :lol: (I'm joking there)

Latest posts