Turbopan information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received a Turbopan in the mail that I ordered for my brother in law and I got to say its interesting bit of gear, has anyone here had any experience good or bad with this type of pan? and is there any special technique required?

Which type did you get the black or green? I have not used one myself and have heard mixed reviews on them. I was tempted to get the black one to try as it looked similar to the M&M quantapan which i have seen and work really well.
From what i understand you will have to learn to pan a bit differently to use the turbopan, more circular motion than shaking and washing.
Will be interested to hear what you think.

He got the green one, will probably be a few weeks before we take it out for a test run.

Nice.
Be interested in how you go with it - looking forward to a review

Hi all,.

Tryed two Pans out turbopan & the md marks speed pan..

The Turbopan works well enough as the spirals makeup three quaters of the pan break down any compaction and the anticlockwise
motion forces any gold into the gold trap in the centre of the pan and the rubbish dirt and pebbles are
shot out the sides of the pan.To pan off one pan of dirt say 4kg it took me 3-4 minutes but the only problem
i had with this pan is that you get all the left over dirt and black sand and gold in the gold trap you still have to
revert back to using the same method to get at the gold as an old black plastic pan..

The MD Marks speed pan this pan with it's spirals that take up the whole of the pan works on the same
method as the turbopan the anticlockwise motion and lives up to it's name it is the quickest pan that i've used
the same amount of dirt as above and the pan off was finshed in about 30 seconds and the only method that was used
was the anticlockwise motion all the way and your left with a little black sand and gold this pan is costly but if it gets the
gold it's worth it.... :) :) :)

Thanks GR..... :cool:

Gotta go with GR on this one.
Ive got a Turbopan also. Bit tricky to start off with but still a lot of hard work i thought.
Seen the MD Marks speed pan in action. Thinking its on the money.
Cleaner result for the same amount of material in less time
Just my 2 bob's worth..... :D

Tried both MD Marks speed pan and turbo pan. Quite often I gave my cons to Dave (goldrocs) for a speedy cleanup with his MD Marks took couple of minutes compare to my 30-45 minutes in a traditional pan :) . I know what youre thinking my panning skills are bad (when it comes to black sand) -- thats why Im building a miller table. Turbo pan? well it takes time to get use to and agree with GR still have to use traditional pan

Hi All,

i bought on of those turbopans cause they look good. A bloke at the CBR show was selling one similar six times the cost. But on using it, it concerntrates fine to the center as designed, but had great difficulty doing the wash up as the concertrate is in the center and i am used to the old klondike pan with swirling around the edges.

I see a benefit if you keep putting dirt through it and see what have at the end of the day, but not good as a test pan.

How does everyone else rate them if you have one.

Harry

Nugget,

i posted something on this in the gold and detecting not knowing there was an equipment topic --- either way the will take abit to get used to because of the design

Harry

I have one and find the same problem.
Here is what I found from my experience with the Turbo Pan.
They are great to reduce your gravel to a concentrate fast and the cost is cheap (around $18 - $26) compaired to the MD (up to about $250).

Trying to pan off the fines at the end is tricky. I found gold flakes in the second top riffle on my first few attempts so I can almost guarantee I lost some gold.

The best solution is to process your materials quickly with the Turbo pan by following the examples on You Tube.
If you classify your dirt into the pan it is important to ensure the riffles are not packed with material, the dirt must be looose.

Clean and rinse dirt then rotate aniclockwise in a swirling motion, this throws the lighter materials off the sides.
Whether processing under water or out of the water is better I haven't worked that out yet as you need a fairly large pool of water to wash the pan under water, something not always available where I go.

The gold tends to work its way into the centre of the pan. They recommend to rotate clockwise at the end, this is to clear the riffles and washing any other gold into the centre. You can check the centre trap for gold at this piont and I remove it at this piont.

This next step is where I find it gets tricky, when I try to reduce the concentrates over the edge there seems to be little to stop the gold going over. At this point I would suggest saving the concentrates in a bucket for further panning in a regular pan.

Maybe its a matter of practice ;)

I did a test panning from a garret gravity trap pan into a container and then repanned the residue in the turbo pan. To my suprise I found two rather large flat leafy flakes (small pickers) trapped in the centre trap in the turbo pan.There is little chance of washing larger flakes out if you check the pan centre once most of the fines are gone.

I think if you are starting out or have poor panning skills (like myself) the turbo pan can be a great asset if the field.
Hope this helps. :)

Beer Pig said:
Nugget,

i posted something on this in the gold and detecting not knowing there was an equipment topic --- either way the will take abit to get used to because of the design

Harry

No problem mate, I just merged the two topics together :)

Yeah, we had one, met Kim and even had a demo from him.
Good for getting most of the material out, but when down to nearlly nothing, pour everything into another pan.
Absolutely useless for finishing...

G0lddigg@ said:
Thought I'd throw in my two cents, only been prospecting for 6 months got the fever first pan was a turbopan. Very tricky to learn however after a while you will get it. Personally all the 1/2 g nuggets I've found where on their way out of the pan :( so cant imagine how much I threw away. Now I use it to quickly reduce material then dump it into a small pan.

Trying to get all the fines in a turbo pan is impossible. Give me a drop riffle pan anyday :p

Welcome to the forum Goldigg@.

I had almost forgot about this topic, we took the turbopan out for a spin a couple of weeks ago, it's definitely going to take some time to get used to it. I know what you're saying about throwing gold out of the pan, more practice needed I think.

Gold miner said:
Yeah, we had one, met Kim and even had a demo from him.
Good for getting most of the material out, but when down to nearlly nothing, pour everything into another pan.
Absolutely useless for finishing...

Give me a Garrett Super Sluice pan any day of the week. ;) Cheers Wal. :)

I have one but dont like it much. I havent tested it fully because I find it next to useless finishing so I just grab a black pan.

Well, wish i knew all this BEFORE i bought mine years ago. It was a bit of a rip too, from what i remember.
Also, mine (black) is rather flimsy with no strengthening bead/ lip around the edge. I believe they may have addressed this issue?

Have found just like anyone else, no good for finishing the job....

Cheers, FF.

I like the pan a lot. Can process quite a lot of material and don't have to worry about losing much. It's really quick.

Great pan for beginners I think as well because it is hard to lose the fine gold.

Just the other day panning with a mate, he wasn't getting specs with a normal pan but was getting colour every pan with the turbo pan.

Redmanti said:
I like the pan a lot. Can process quite a lot of material and don't have to worry about losing much. It's really quick.

Great pan for beginners I think as well because it is hard to lose the fine gold.

Just the other day panning with a mate, he wasn't getting specs with a normal pan but was getting colour every pan with the turbo pan.

He was digging in a differant spot?????

How do you go with final recovery?

What is your method?

Latest posts