Tuena yesterday

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went for a pan at Tuena yesterday and Grabben Gullen today with a mate, got a tiny speck here and there in about every second pan. Made me realise I really need a sluice or 2 and a highbanker. Anyway was perfect weather and a nice 2 days in the country side.

Was a big camp setup down at Mt Costigan Road crossing but no-one about. Had a pan at the Limestone Creek area also, there was someone highbanking in the middle of the creek. I assume that was Mary-Anne, did'nt say hi was too frantic trying to pan a picker or 2. They were working a bloody deep hole though, they kept almost dissapearing, lol.

Grabben Gullen gave about the same amount of tiny specks as Tuena, doh! No Sapphires for me either, double doh!! My mate pulled a 16 carat ugly green one out of his pocket when we got home though the bastard. :) As it was his first go at fossicking it must have been beginners luck, anyway it's a pretty ugly stone, a bomb I guess, though semi sort of transparent. Nah good on him. :D

Heading out of Tuena there was a cop car screaming up the road with sirens going, then another, then a rescue vehicle, then more cops and then and ambo and another cop about 20 mins later near Crookwell. Dunno what happened, anyone else know? Sounds like it was serious, they are pretty dangerous roads out there if you're not careful.

Hey Heatho , yes that is Mary-Anne & all the mounds of rocks are her doing , pretty keen panner , now sluicer. Funny she wasn't there Sunday , no one about at all down that way , may be a message there ;)

Maybe she's doing so well she's having Sundays off. :) I Wish I got my detector out but was keen to pan instead, I will use it next time I'm down there though. Will try and find a good spot for a swing there next time.

Hi Heath,

How high was the water?

I think I will hit Tuena OR Grabben Gullen next Fri & make a really long weekend out of Labor Day ;)

Twist your arm to come down again?

I'll bring a mate & rotate out between highbanking & giving you someone to swing with..

I should be able to on the Friday. Water was flowing nicely but not high at all. Might try GG or Oberon this Sunday also, are you keen?

I will be back up there for a few days this weekend. Probably just hang around mt costiigan crossing area again. If you see a silver triton I won't be far and don't be afraid to come over and say g'day :)

Hey Greg, I'm hunting Sapphires this weekend, but will be keen to head back to Tuena area soon. Would be great to have a yak sometime.

I'll look out for both silver 4WD's , but will wait until holidays are over ,so see you guys soon , as we are bound to meet

Im going to Tuena next Tuesday will be there till the end of the long weekend Ill be in a white Hilux duel cab with a camper trailor

Hey fellas, those of you who are going to Tuena, when I was there I spoke to Mary-ann and she told me how the river would "dump" gold into spots. IF you go and find her there's a spot just down river from where she's been since February where the river turns into the far bank and then turns 90 degrees out into the flow again.

I didn't have any of the gear, (long handle shovel, bin, banjo etc,etc) when I was there, but if you find the spot I'd be interested to hear how you go. The hole is relatively deep (waist high at least) so it may hold the goods. She's been finding grain sized lumps and that's the reason she's still there. (She showed me the stuff she had - impressive.)

Gears packed......leaving at 3am should be at Tuena around 8am.......meeting up with Goldrocs ,hereskip
Chism and Dozer.
Will be in a dark green landrover discovery with black bar and winch with heaps of spot lights on it.
Come over and have a chat.
I have plenty of gear (hightbanker etc.) If any one wishs to tag along they are most welcome.
Cheers
TheSmithy.

We should all get prospecting Australia stickers for our vehicles so we don't need to remember makes and models :)
Will be there hopefully around 10-11 am

Latest posts