Today's new finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dug about 50 bottle caps today looking for my first silver coin, with no luck.
I found 8 coins, two half Pennies, three full Pennies, and three 2 cent coins.

After giving up on the elusive silver coin I decided to pack up and head towards my car when I saw my uncle on his tractor.
So I headed his way to say g'day. Literally while chatting with him I detected what I thought was another bottle cap, but to my surprise was this beauty.
1400392582_image.jpg

1400392601_image.jpg

It took me 28 coins before I found my first silver. I'm stoked :lol:

Here's the rest of my haul.
1400392815_image.jpg

Stay tuned for a wrap up, after they have had a little wash.

Cheers Paul :)
It was a nice way to end the day.
I was lucky to find her sitting in the middle of the paddock all by herself. It felt like a little gift from the detecting gods for trying so hard :lol:

The other notable coin was this 1879 Penny. It's the second one I have found, not as nice condition, but she is the narrow date version :)
1400402559_image.jpg

Also found this cool little bottle.
1400402621_image.jpg

E.H Faulding & Co .Ltd
Would I be correct in saying this could date to the mid 1800's ?

The other side of that 1878 Penny has an interesting imprint or damage?
At first I thought it was damage, but on closer inspection I noticed it is centred perfectly on the vertical, and it hasn't caused the coin to bend, making me think it was deliberate.

1400403557_image.jpg

Any such thing as stamped coins?

Well done on that silver Stoney, now they should just start pouring in. Smell it big time before you clean it with anything(maybe next time) so that you get a big wiff of the smell of silver out of the ground, then trust your instinct as you drive around with your windows down(the smell of silver will lure you in).

silver said:
Well done on that silver Stoney, now they should just start pouring in. Smell it big time before you clean it with anything(maybe next time) so that you get a big wiff of the smell of silver out of the ground, then trust your instinct as you drive around with your windows down(the smell of silver will lure you in).
:lol: I hope so :)

I haven't cleaned it yet :) didn't know how so it's just had a bit of a rub on my shirt as I plucked her.
The sniffa is blocked up with a cold, so can't smell much right now.

Just save it for a good sniff when you are better, I promise it will be worth your while !

Here's a pic of what I call site 3
1400451876_image.jpg

It's defiantly been a good hunting ground for coins, but not much in the way of relics.

I know the last time it was occupied was in the 1960's early 70's by alcoholics.
I have no idea when it was constructed.
The oldest coin I've dug was a 1864 half Penny, all the way to a 1977 twenty cent.

silver said:
Just save it for a good sniff when you are better, I promise it will be worth your while !
Will do :)

I do have a nice little collection of silver coins, I just never dug one till now.

I've never thought about having a smell, I just like the sound they make when jiggled :)

This baby is my fave.
1400474928_image.jpg

The Peace Dollar was my Dads, I think he was giving it when he worked for a soft drink company, it has a Pepsi Cola pendant thing it clips into.

She is pretty worn - but I must say the artwork of American coins from the late 1800's and early 1900's are the most beautifully designed coins that were ever made. I am sure it holds some sentimental value as it is from your Dad. I feel extremely lucky to be able to share the hobby with my son and always look forward to our next hunt!

Yeah, it has tons of sentimental value, my dad only recently passed.
And I remember asking him about that coin when I was a kid.

Your right, the artwork of those are sweet.

This one is minty :)
1400482043_image.jpg

Talking about silver :p

This was my first target today, about ten feet from the gate I enter.
1400560942_image.jpg

I couldn't believe it, the very next coin (and target) after my very first silver coin, and I get another :lol:
It's starting to turn purple, should I do anything to prevent it?

Also dug these today.
1400561192_image.jpg

Total days haul.

Two 1966 2 cent coins
One 1967 1 cent
Two 1948 half Pennies (must be a popular year)
One 1947 half Penny in bad shape
One 1908 half Penny
One 1939 one Penny
One 1917 one Penny
One 1871 one Shilling
An old bullet
And a couple more buckles.
1400566836_image.jpg

Had another good hunt after work today.

Went to site 3 and pulled a few more coins, then I decided to try site 1 again. I thought I'd done it to death, but I'm now more familiar with my machine and made a few cool finds.

I dug a 1944 Aus Penny, a 1952 Aus Penny, 1966 20c, a 1953 Aus half Penny, a 1919 Aus half Penny, and a 1907 Victorian Penny.
Also a Legacy pin, a cricket buckle, another nice little bullet, another six buckles, and one mystery item that I'm very excited about.

1400645786_image.jpg

1400645824_image.jpg

And this is the mystery item, looks like a gilded button?

1400645872_image.jpg

Cheers - Stoney

Hi stoney that coin looks like it has been counter stamped, mate. The British used to counter stamp foreign coins, I would love to see the other side of the coin.

cheers Rob

Stoney said:
At first I thought it was damage, but on closer inspection I noticed it is centred perfectly on the vertical, and it hasn't caused the coin to bend, making me think it was deliberate.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2845/1400403557_image.jpg

beach detecting addict said:
Hi stoney that coin looks like it has been counter stamped, mate. The British used to counter stamp foreign coins, I would love to see the other side of the coin.

cheers Rob

Stoney said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2845/1400403557_image.jpg

Here it is, I'm not sure why I said it was a 1878, should be 1879.
1400653725_image.jpg

Great haul there Stoney. It has to rate as one of your top hunts.

Geez......them blokes in the 1800's must have run around with their pants around their ankles a lot, don't think I have ever lost a belt buckle. Has anyone else?