Large Sprocket Wheel unearthed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The little coastal town where I live has recently celebrated its 150th birthday and interest in the town's origins and history is still high despite there being nothing at all remaining from those early days to view or display. But recently during an excavation a large sprocket wheel was unearthed, could it be our one and only artifact?

The location where it was found is adjacent to the long-gone jetty and it had a succession of uses pre-1910. First it was a slaughter yard and butchery, then a steam sawmill, and finally a newspaper office and printshop until it burnt down. The land sat unused for the next 90 years and over the last 20 years the site has been progressively developed for housing.
Any guesses as to what type of machinery the sprocket wheel belonged to............

casper

Attachments

• Artefact.jpg
    Artefact.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I think if you could con the local sandblaster into cleaning it for you that might reveal its identity.
good idea! - I was contemplating soaking it molasses for 3 to 6 months. Being a Land Rover enthusiast I'm quite familiar with the latter restoration method, BUT while you are waiting for a result you're getting older and at 69 I'm running low on time.... :)

Latest posts