Today's new finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
silver said:
great finds, and top quality photos going on here Stoney !
Thanks again Silver.
It's amazing the quality of the smartphone cameras these days.

Just wondering if there is a way of getting an age on this buckle?
1399770651_image.jpg

It looks to my untrained eye to be a lot older then anything else I've dug at these sites so far.

I've heard that on part Molasses and three parts water cleans up old rusty steel, I've also heard it as 50 parts water to 1 part molasses from the old boys long gone. Rusty buckles do look older than their brass brothers though. So age could depend a bit on how deep it came out of the ground compared to your other onsite finds.

Thanks Silva, I need to start taking note of the depths.
I'm still like a little kid at Christmas, I get too excited when I find something lol.

I had a blast today, knocked off work early, sun was shining and found a couple more things.
1399871542_image.jpg

One 1947 Penny, and one 1924 Penny, a cross pendent, another nice button, and a few other bits.
1399871698_image.jpg

Can any one tell me what button that is?
1399871795_image.jpg

The backmark is in great condition.
1399871850_image.jpg

Cheers for looking

Thanks Paulmarr, im very stoked, especially with the button. I love the research that comes with trying to ID them.

Great finds and fantastic photo's, just love it. the cross looks as though it would have had an inlay possibly wood. I look forward to the next instalment.
Mackka

silver said:
I've heard that on part Molasses and three parts water cleans up old rusty steel, I've also heard it as 50 parts water to 1 part molasses from the old boys long gone. Rusty buckles do look older than their brass brothers though. So age could depend a bit on how deep it came out of the ground compared to your other onsite finds.

Thought people may be interested in a couple of topics on cleaning coins and relics.
Both have posts on electrolysis and molasses methods.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3526

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2360

the duck said:
It is a general service button for NSW volunteers from 1870 to 1890 its a great find from the australian militia it came in 3 sizes

Thanks the duck.
Do they have any value to collectors? Not that I would sell it, I'm just curious.

Also do you know if they (the N.S.W general service) were issued weapons? As I have found at least 4 different types of bullet shells in the same location.

Cheers.

Ramjet said:
Nice find. Awesome that you found a pic of it in original condition.
It's a shame Jesus rose from the cross ;)

It is a shame, but there is so much junk around the spot I found it, maybe I will be able to resurrect him lol

Latest posts