Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I made a dolly pot.
All the materials have been scavenged off job sites - a piece of heavy steel plate, and a screwpile offcut.
It is shown here prior to painting ( gloss black left over from another project)
I have found that the round end of a 6ft fencing bar fits nicely inside the tube, with about a half inch clearance all round,
and has plenty of weight to aid crushing. An added bonus is being able to stand comfortably upright while using the pot, and the
bar has become a dual purpose tool ( I always feel like I have loaded half the shed into the fourby when I go bush, so it's nice to streamline things a bit:)

1466416787_image.jpg

I reckon it would weigh about 4kg. Not too taxing in the backpack with a pan, sieve and smoko. The fencing bar for pounding is pretty hefty though:) Although, the chisel end of the bar is probably more effective than my pick for liberating rock from the ground

jamie said:
made it yesterday, when i moved got rid of my old outdoor firepit so welded up a new one, didnt paint it thohttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2214/1467591354_img_0840.jpg
I reckon it would work well as a camp cooker as well as heater. Well done jamie. :p

Today (actually yesterday) started another project - a mini high banker using 1.6mm aluminium. Only 6" wide and 18" long.

Trying to weld 1.6mm aluminium with lpg torch and fluxless rod but cannot get sufficient heat. Tested on .5mm sheet and melted it - too hot. Any ideas

Bob

Hey Bob,there is a new soldier out now you can use on alloy and other metals, I think it was called 2010 rods used for model engineering, magic stuff from what I saw and you can use a propane torch, You don't have to get the metal molten for it and it is strong. I've even seen it used to fill large holes. You can oxy weld alloy but a standard torch is a nightmare, you need a special torch and oxy/acetylene set up.

jamie said:
made it yesterday, when i moved got rid of my old outdoor firepit so welded up a new one, didnt paint it thohttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2214/1467591354_img_0840.jpg

Love this, bloody great idea :cool: :cool:

Called Durafix. :)
Use a map pro torch and keep your joins clean.
Heat the job, Not the rod and flow it on.
You will break the aluminum but not the join if done properly.
Good idea to have a very good look at the site.
I use it myself. :) :)

B5MECH said:
Hey Bob,there is a new soldier out now you can use on alloy and other metals, I think it was called 2010 rods used for model engineering, magic stuff from what I saw and you can use a propane torch, You don't have to get the metal molten for it and it is strong. I've even seen it used to fill large holes. You can oxy weld alloy but a standard torch is a nightmare, you need a special torch and oxy/acetylene set up.

I made a video of a recent trip... but not allowed to post it yet. lol need 10 posts. I usually just read. will post when im allowed.

Latest posts