Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It worked and I have my first prisoner ?
1589160329_20200511_110356_compress77.jpg

1589160352_20200511_105752_compress72.jpg

Yes, they take on the colour of their surrounds. Green, Blue, Brown, or even reddish brown if it were say in a dam in red ironstone stained soil.

These ones were all green/brown, because I grew them out in EDU's in a stainless steel milk tank in mostly darkness.

1589192809_thumbnail_yabby_love.jpg

Some years ago people were making money selling brilliantly blue yabbies that were raised inside bright blue tanks. Aquarists would buy them for their display fish tanks, only to be disappointed after their first moult when their color changed. Kind of like the Aquarists version of buying a Duffer mine or selling dubious gold :D

Deepseeker said:
Yes, they take on the colour of their surrounds. Green, Blue, Brown, or even reddish brown if it were say in a dam in red ironstone stained soil.

These ones were all green/brown, because I grew them out in EDU's in a stainless steel milk tank in mostly darkness.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ges/13321/1589192809_thumbnail_yabby_love.jpg

Some years ago people were making money selling brilliantly blue yabbies that were raised inside bright blue tanks. Aquarists would buy them for their display fish tanks, only to be disappointed after their first moult when their color changed. Kind of like the Aquarists version of buying a Duffer mine or selling dubious gold :D
Awesome and interesting,
Are you saying that the blue colour change restarts every time it sheds if kept in a blue tank?

They are interesting creatures for sure. Yes, they adopt the general color of their surrounds, which of course makes sense for camouflage & protection. Whether they can consciously do so or not, or whether it's some evolutionary chemical reaction that takes place on it's own without their input I don't know, but they molt a number of times throughout their life and their new shell will become a different color if their surrounds are changed. That's a very healthy looking specimen you have caught there by the way, and it looks more like one that has come out of clean water rather than a muddy, weedy dam.

Deepseeker said:
They are interesting creatures for sure. Yes, they adopt the general color of their surrounds, which of course makes sense for camouflage & protection. Whether they can consciously do so or not, or whether it's some evolutionary chemical reaction that takes place on it's own without their input I don't know, but they molt a number of times throughout their life and their new shell will become a different color if their surrounds are changed. That's a very healthy looking specimen you have caught there by the way, and it looks more like one that has come out of clean water rather than a muddy, weedy dam.
Yeah the dam is spring fed I think coz allways full and the ground around it is really wet with clean water.

New design, roof entry, bait cage is the access hatch.
Dam sampler lol
1589261426_20200512_140138_compress33.jpg

1589261462_20200512_140440_compress61.jpg

Triangular faces not quite equalateral lol

They're not there for mud or rocks...they're there for rego requirements.
As Doug suggests, they probably wont be there long :D

yep...just the photo angle. Wider than the wheels and actually stick out passed them :Y:

Latest posts