Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slumming it at work tonight. Made up a parcel with some fish and veges with chilli and Asian flavours. A few minutes in the microwave and boom, one nice, healthy meal. Made one up for Mrs Ramjet and left it in the fridge for her. Just using up whatever veges we had in the fridge.

1512890551_fishparcel1.jpg

1512890551_fishparcel2.jpg

G'day Mackka, there is definitely no charred bits on that lump of pig but there is plenty of yummy "bark" ;)
It probably holds the most flavour as its closest to the smoke and rub and it was most certainly mixed in with the inside bits :p
I was amazed at how it changed colour after taking it off the grill and resting it. I had read about placing it in double foil, but leaving the top exposed for 10 to 15 minutes before tightly wrapping it, and I did just that. It does look very black though hey! :cool:

Billy, I love throwing spuds into the coals and waiting for them to turn black, just love them and I was salivating over that crusty top hoping it wasn't going to be tossed, great work.
I have been thing about having a go at what you blokes make so easy. So question to you Chefs, was it the preference on brand and style?
Cheers
Mackka :) :) :)

Mackka, thank you mate and yes it was tasty. I am in no way a chef, you would have to talk to Mr Duck, Mr Jet etc about that. I'm only learning the art of low and slow and my advice, for what its worth, would be, if you thought you might be interested in trying it, is buying or borrowing etc a Weber kettle and a bag of original heatbeads brand briquettes, doing a bit of googling and youtoobing on techniques and the like and having a crack at it.
I am sure you will get plenty of helpful advice here and there are a few decent BBQ related forums around as well.
I hope you do get into mate but be warned.....it can be as addictive as chasing the yellow stuff :eek: :lol:

Keep them coming. They are giving me tips on what I have not yet created.. The pork and lasagna as well as the fish all look great.

Reverse sear t-bone. Bit like an Italian Bistecca Florintina.

Take a large thick t-bone. This one was just over 1 kg and three to four inches thick.

1513250096_steak_1.jpg

Season it well, and let it get to room temperature. Then into a slow oven (about 100C) until the steak reaches around 40C internal temp on the instant read thermometer.

Then sear it in a really hot pan, and bring it up to around 48C. This gives you a nice rare to medium rare.

Here is the steak searing in my 40 year old French iron pan.

1513250184_steak_2.jpg

Baste with good French butter, thyme and pepper, and serve with a simple green salad and beer batter onion rings! To give a sense of proportion, that is a very large oval plate.

1513250350_steak_3.jpg

1513250350_steak_4.jpg

As they say, not undelicious!

Latest posts