Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tathradj,

Beer batter onion rings are easy, but take a little work.

Cut an onion or two in thick rings and separate.

Make the batter with plain flour, salt and enough cold beer to make a thinnish batter about the consistency of thickened cream.

Don't work the batter too much, as it is crispier if you don't develop the gluten in the flour. It is fine if there are some lumps. This is the principle for tempura, too.

Stir in a dash of vegetable oil and white vinegar (helps make a crunchy batter).

The batter should taste salty and tangy.

If the batter thickens up while cutting the onions, add a little more beer before frying.

Flour the onion rings, dip in the batter, and into the fryer at 180 degrees C.

Don't cook too many at once, and fish them out onto a rack when they are almost done.

When you have cooked all the rings, put them back in the fryer for a second cook to make them very crispy.

Far, far superior to frozen rings from the supermarket.

Christmas eve seafood platter,

All cooked from scratch...

jumbo prawns, simply boiled, with Marie Rose sauce...

Seared scallops with crunchy serrano ham...

Salt and pepper calamari..

Flathead tails with beer batter...

Grilled Morton Bay bug tails with garlic and chilli butter...

Chips...

Tartare sauce...

Green salad on the side...

That is a really big platter, nearly a metre long!

Girls had Champagne and Chambourg cocktails, I had a couple of Blonds and some Martinis.

Was not undelicious!

1514107760_seafood_platter.jpg

Went to the Sydney fish markets today for a yum cha for lunch. Major extended family politics that I won't go into here.

Anyway, before we went upstairs to the restaurant, Jannine was looking at the expensive cooked seafood that a few of the places sell. She liked the look of the scallop mornay. I said that I could make it better than the ones on display.

So after lunch, I bought a tray of scallops on the shell. Back in Goulburn, I made a quick white sauce with vermouth and a squeeze of lemon. Some pizza cheese and parmesan, and under the grill. Damn they were good, and proof that old fashioned dishes are are very good if done properly.

We also bought some John Dory filets which i cooked in butter with lemon and butter sauce. Chips and salad on the side. They were pretty good too...

1514371486_scallops.jpg

1514371514_john_dory.jpg

I picked up some veal cutlets and very nice marbeled beef ribs at Vicks meats, too...

I have been at Mum's for a few weeks... or years... it's been a blurry time. I am doing the bulk of the cooking for the extended family but keep forgetting to take pics. Mostly cooking meals that are easy to do for large numbers... shepherds pie, roasts, stews, salads. Today I made some poppers at my baby brother's request. A couple with Jalapenos and a couple with small, sweet capsicums for the softer crowd. Never used one of these new fangled gas Weber Qs before, but the result was OK. I usually cook with wood or heat beads. Once again I failed to get a pic of the results.

1515149944_20180105_173228.jpg

Geez mate, can't do better than bacon wrapped poppers......YUM!!! :D

The gas Weber Q's are great, we've had our 8 years and it's still going strong. :Y:

A nice warm 40 deg C Saturday and no fire ban, was the perfect opportunity to fire up the Dragon and smoke some beef ribs :cool:

I had purchased a 3 bone and 4 bone rack from my awesome butcher for the great price of $24.

For the 3 bone I used Worcestershire sauce for the binder and a dry rub I purchased called "Sweet rub o' mine".
The 4 bone I used mayo and a coffee, salt and pepper based rub I made.
Got the Dragon stable at 120 deg C, added some Hickory chunks and Pecan chips and threw the ribs on at 1pm.

1515293132_beef_ribs_jan_2018_1.jpg

They took a fair bit longer than I (should have) expected and at 11pm the smaller rack was ready for a rest.

1515293133_beef_ribs_jan_2018_2.jpg

After 40 minutes or so I couldn't take the sensational smell filling the kitchen and dived in to them.
Yum is an understatement!! :p

1515293078_beef_ribs_jan_2018_3.jpg

At around 11.30 pm the large rack was ready and so I rested it while I had one more beer and put it in the fridge for Sunday nights tea :)

1515293078_beef_ribs_jan_2018_4.jpg

I only had to adjust the top vent twice during the whole cook and they were minute adjustments. This meant that I could hang out in the aircon and keep hydrated :lol:

An awesome way to spend a hot summers day I reckon :Y:

Cheers,

Billy.

Latest posts