Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

Here are two dishes I cooked in the past. Black pepper beef and chicken and prawn pad thai.

1511701235_black_pepper_beef.jpg

1511701258_pad_thai.jpg

Here you go Eldorado.

Ingredients
Sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp honey
1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry (or substitute with chicken or beef stock)
2 tbsp water
1 tsp roughly crushed black pepper (or 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper)
Stir Fry
1 1/2 tbsp peanut oil (or vegetable or canola oil)
1 garlic clove , crushed
1 small onion , sliced (or 1/2 large onion)
1 lb / 500 g thinly sliced flank , rump, sirloin, fillet or any other cut of steak suitable for stir frying (Notes 1 & 2)

Instructions
Whisk together the Sauce ingredients then set aside.
Heat the oil in a wok or large heavy based skillet over high heat until it is smoking.
Add the onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute or until the onion becomes translucent. Keep it moving so the garlic doesn't burn.
Add the beef and stir fry for 40 seconds to 1 minute until just cooked to your liking (depending on the size of the pieces, how heavy based your wok is, strength of stove). Remove beef and onion onto a plate.
Turn the heat down to medium high. Pour the Sauce ingredients into the wok. It will start simmering very quickly. Let it cook for 1 minute or so until it becomes syrupy - the bubbles will be larger and caramel colour.
Add the beef and onion back into the wok, along with any juices pooled on the plate. Toss in the sauce until just warmed through - 1 minute at most. Don't overcook the beef - that would be tragic!
Serve immediately with rice.

Recipe Notes
1. This recipe is not suitable for cuts like chuck, brisket, ribs or other slow cooking beef cuts.

2. Cut against the grain - When you look at the beef, you will see that the fibres are mostly going in the same direction. When slicing the beef, cut "against the grain" which means cutting the beef 90 degrees to the direction of the fibres. This will produce the most tender beef.

3. Tenderising the beef: Because the beef is flash fried separately from the sauce, this ensures the beef stays tender and juicy. However, if you would like to use the technique used by restaurants to "velvet" (tenderise) the beef, then combine the slices of beef with 1/2 tsp baking soda (bicarb soda), 2 tbsp water, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tbsp oil. Marinade for 30 minutes, then use as per this recipe. I rarely tenderise the beef for this recipe.

pete165 said:
Here you go Eldorado.

Ingredients
Sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp honey
1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry (or substitute with chicken or beef stock)
2 tbsp water
1 tsp roughly crushed black pepper (or 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper)
Stir Fry
1 1/2 tbsp peanut oil (or vegetable or canola oil)
1 garlic clove , crushed
1 small onion , sliced (or 1/2 large onion)
1 lb / 500 g thinly sliced flank , rump, sirloin, fillet or any other cut of steak suitable for stir frying (Notes 1 & 2)

Instructions
Whisk together the Sauce ingredients then set aside.
Heat the oil in a wok or large heavy based skillet over high heat until it is smoking.
Add the onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute or until the onion becomes translucent. Keep it moving so the garlic doesn't burn.
Add the beef and stir fry for 40 seconds to 1 minute until just cooked to your liking (depending on the size of the pieces, how heavy based your wok is, strength of stove). Remove beef and onion onto a plate.
Turn the heat down to medium high. Pour the Sauce ingredients into the wok. It will start simmering very quickly. Let it cook for 1 minute or so until it becomes syrupy - the bubbles will be larger and caramel colour.
Add the beef and onion back into the wok, along with any juices pooled on the plate. Toss in the sauce until just warmed through - 1 minute at most. Don't overcook the beef - that would be tragic!
Serve immediately with rice.

Recipe Notes
1. This recipe is not suitable for cuts like chuck, brisket, ribs or other slow cooking beef cuts.

2. Cut against the grain - When you look at the beef, you will see that the fibres are mostly going in the same direction. When slicing the beef, cut "against the grain" which means cutting the beef 90 degrees to the direction of the fibres. This will produce the most tender beef.

3. Tenderising the beef: Because the beef is flash fried separately from the sauce, this ensures the beef stays tender and juicy. However, if you would like to use the technique used by restaurants to "velvet" (tenderise) the beef, then combine the slices of beef with 1/2 tsp baking soda (bicarb soda), 2 tbsp water, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tbsp oil. Marinade for 30 minutes, then use as per this recipe. I rarely tenderise the beef for this recipe.

Thank you Pete. We had Chinese last night to celebrate my birthday and it was a great night out. I think with your recipe I might get something near the same at home.

Lemonade

Well... I didn't cook it! But you know what I mean :) Lemons from my own trees - it's a delightful drink on these hot days:

From the ABC website
By Brigid Treloar
27th January 2008

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 cup lemon juice (about 4-6 lemons)
4 cups cold water or soda water
Extra lemon & mint for garnish

Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan.

Bring to the boil, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves completely.

Leave to cool and refrigerate -this is the syrup.

Mix the syrup, lemon juice and cold water or soda water.

Serving Suggestion: Pour into a large jug with thin slices of lemon and mint.

And yesterday I made some mayonnaise. Forget the shop bought stuff - it's filled full of preservatives and has little flavour. Home made mayonnaise is easy to make, keeps for two weeks in the fridge and has both an excellent texture and flavour. It turns a basic sandwich into something people pay $10 for in a shop!

NB. Because this, and all real mayonnaise, includes raw egg it should not be eaten by pregnant women.

Mayonnaise
From Margaret Fultons Book of Salads
26th September 2002

1 egg (Ensure the egg is as fresh as possible)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder
2 teaspoons of wine vinegar
2/3 of a cup of olive oil
2/3 of a cup of sunflower oil

Place the egg, salt, pepper, mustard and vinegar in a blender or food
processor and blend on medium speed for a few seconds. Still on
medium speed add the oils drop by drop to begin with, through the
lid, then in a thin stream as the mixture thickens.

Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Will keep for two weeks.

Makes about 1.5 cups.

----

To add the oil I make a "well" with cling-film in the neck of the food
processor, in the bottom of the well I use a sharp knife to make a
small hole; this cling-film well then acts as a drip feed.

SinHof said:
Good Evening All,
On a recent hunt, Diana the Greco Roman God Of The Hunt was in a good mood and I returned home with a bountiful supply of prime young Fallow venison. To nights dinner comprised of a whole rump seasoned with salt, fresh ground black pepper and fresh garlic. The Baby Weber Q was set up in bake mode and the smoker box loaded with well seasoned snow gum saw dust.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/972/1511174169_capture.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/972/1511174143_20171120_190213.jpg
Mr's SinHof prepared a selection of veg to bake while the Weber worked its magic with the venison, the end result was a fab meal, the venison was beautifully tender and the flavour was just great.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/972/1511174513_20171120_193338.jpg
Its meals like this that makes being a hunter gatherer and the work that goes into getting game meat home in excellent condition well worth while. To round out the meal; desert was fresh strawberries marinated in a fine Hunter Valley port followed by coffee, in all a memorable meal and one that will happen again.
Cheers, SinHof.

That looks sensational SinHof!!!
It is a lot of work to get the meat to the plate but what a great sense of satisfaction it brings along with the delicious meal that is the end result.
Can't wait to see the results of the next hunt.
Cheers,
Billy.

pete165 said:

Pete, have you been holding out on us with your cooks? :lol:
They both look sensational and restaurant quality food with magazine quality photo's.. :eek:
So come on, show us more, show us more!!!! :p
Cheers,
Billy.

Gilly47 said:
today i cooked a kilo and a half of king prawns at a townsville prawn shop.. YUM YUM YUM
Now come on Gilly, you can't just tease us with words, we need pictures!!
Remember the golden rule..... no photo's = didn't happen! :D
Bet they were tasty though ;)

I hadn't done a lot of cooking for a while but I am back into it again. Trying to eat healthy.

Lean steak with steamed veges. There are more calories in the gravy than the rest of the meal. :eek:

Barrumundi en papillote with Asian flavours, spicy cous cous and veges.

Last one was at work. A little roast pork with steamed veges.

1512874352_20171204_194554.jpg

1512874352_20171206_195041.jpg

1512874515_20171208_191109.jpg

Mike Harding said:
And yesterday I made some mayonnaise. Forget the shop bought stuff - it's filled full of preservatives and has little flavour. Home made mayonnaise is easy to make, keeps for two weeks in the fridge and has both an excellent texture and flavour. It turns a basic sandwich into something people pay $10 for in a shop!

NB. Because this, and all real mayonnaise, includes raw egg it should not be eaten by pregnant women.

Mayonnaise
From Margaret Fultons Book of Salads
26th September 2002

1 egg (Ensure the egg is as fresh as possible)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder
2 teaspoons of wine vinegar
2/3 of a cup of olive oil
2/3 of a cup of sunflower oil

Place the egg, salt, pepper, mustard and vinegar in a blender or food
processor and blend on medium speed for a few seconds. Still on
medium speed add the oils drop by drop to begin with, through the
lid, then in a thin stream as the mixture thickens.

Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Will keep for two weeks.

Makes about 1.5 cups.

----

To add the oil I make a "well" with cling-film in the neck of the food
processor, in the bottom of the well I use a sharp knife to make a
small hole; this cling-film well then acts as a drip feed.

Mike, that is a great idea to use the cling film :Y:
It certainly is the season to enjoy some mayo and I am going to have to give this a go!
Cheers,
Billy.

Ramjet said:
I hadn't done a lot of cooking for a while but I am back into it again. Trying to eat healthy.

Lean steak with steamed veges. There are more calories in the gravy than the rest of the meal. :eek:

Barrumundi en papillote with Asian flavours, spicy cous cous and veges.

Last one was at work. A little roast pork with steamed veges.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/214/1512874352_20171204_194554.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/214/1512874352_20171206_195041.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/214/1512874515_20171208_191109.jpg

Well Mr Jet, you certainly make healthy look bloody delicious :p

I had a crack at my first "blade in" pork shoulder (aka-Boston Butt).
Found a classic Carolina rub to try and after mixing up all the ingredients I covered the 3.5 kg "butt" with it and put it into the pre heated to 120 C Dragon at 11.30 Friday night. Added some Hickory chunks and Banksia pods for some smokey goodness and went to bed:
1512875950_boston_butt_3.jpg

After 15 hours, it was done with an internal temp of 95 C and a meat probe fell into it like a hot knife through butter :p
It was a struggle to get it off the grill without it falling apart, but, I managed and this was helped by the fact that the butcher had made a bit of a wrong cut when preparing it for me and had tied it up with some twine.I then gave it a nice 4.5 hour rest in a pre heated esky.
1512875951_boston_butt_6.jpg

I then cooked up a delicious beer based BBQ sauce:
1512875951_boston_butt_7.jpg

1512875878_boston_butt_8.jpg

After the sauce was made and had cooled down it was time to expose my Butt :lol:
It was like Christmas had come early as I unwrapped the layers of foil :p

1512875878_boston_butt_10.jpg

Shredded it somewhat with my meat claws and added some sauce:

1512875878_boston_butt_12.jpg

Turned out to be a great success and as moist and tender as any meat I have eaten.
Plenty left to freeze for pizza's, wraps etc and the whole process was an enjoyable way to spend the weekend at home ( which by the way) smelt great for the entire time ;)

I can highly recommend this particular cut of meat but Ramjet, you may have to just have a little bit, because its probably not as healthy as some other meals :D

Cheers,
Billy. :cool:

Latest posts