Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RM Outback said:
Looks like Silver's going nuts, if not now I feel it won't be far away :lol:
Finally happened RM ,.... you called it mate, I've gone nuts !
1479073444_20161114_073726.jpg

Not in a big way ,... but nuts none the less ! :D

Did another bird last weekend, on the Weber this time.

Turned out a rather tasty feed :p

1479454509_roast_chooken.jpg

I found a "piece of beef?" in the freezer that I won in a raffle last year, and not being sure of the cut I decided to "low and slow" it in the Dragon and see what happens. 8)

Made up a rub of some tasty ingredients:

1479454992_beef_rub.jpg

1479454506_beef_1.jpg

7 hours at 110 c until 83 deg c internal:

1479454507_beef_2.jpg

and 1 1/2 hours rested in esky.

1479454507_beef_3.jpg

1479454508_beef_4.jpg

Looks a little dry in the photo's ( and probably was somewhat) but it was super tasty and tender.

Have a meat injector on order so will definitely be trying beef again on the "Ol Dragon" ;)

Cheers and beers,

Billy.

At home by myself, as SHMBO is in Sydney seeing her mother, who is in a bad way, and #3 daughter is at work.

So I made a king prawn pizza, on a thin and relatively low carb base.

Pizza was fresh tomato, onion, prawns, french shallots, white anchovies, chilli flakes and garlic oil.

1479550483_pizza.jpg

Went down very well,

No.2 Son made jelly tip iceblocks today.
Can't eat them myself, but, everyone says they are yummy ! :p :p
ha, forgot the photo. :8
(edit in photo)
1479553453_20161119_205938.jpg

Mrs S is all about low carb, Martini will be on the try list now too.
not for me though, I'm 5+ months in on the alchodry (abstinence) as well as no sugars and no grains ! :D

Caught and cooked,
Put the boat into the water and went squid hunting yesterday, it's been ages since we had a home cooked meal of squid, pretty simple prep, flour, egg and bread crumbs; simple but a great meal, fresh is best, a long way from some of the squid that one has when eating out. Next time I will be a bit more adventurous and go for something like squid in special spiced salt, any other suggestions will be welcome, still have three lots in the fridge.
Cheers, SinHof.
1480564049_20161130_145714.jpg
1480564096_20161130_193424.jpg

Hey Sinhof,

When it is as fresh as that, simple is best, that's for sure.

To make salt and pepper squid, the general technique is to score the inside of the hood into little squares so it curls up nicely when cooked. Mix an egg white with salt, pepper, and whatever spices you like - I generally use chilli powder and garlic powder, and sometimes some ground Chinese szechuan pepper.

Put the squid in this mix, and coat with a mix of tapioca flour (arrowroot) and corn flour. These make a lighter and crunchier coating than plain flour, although that works too.

Your should also coat the tentacles, to, as they are the best bit. Just cut the beak out and run your fingers down them to remove any hard bits of the suckers. Cut into two lots if from bigger squid.

Thanks for the variations on a theme of squid, Dr Duck, your idea sounds great, will certainly try that soon, stay tuned. Greenhornet, we do a stuffed squid recipe along the lines of: marinate the whole squid cones in brien, dry and smoke, then stuff with boiled egg, cooked prawns, avocado; refigerate for a couple of hours and then cut into bite size slices topped with black caviar, looks fabulous an tastes great. The smaller arrow squid are best for this meal.
Cheers, SinHof.

SinHof said:
Thanks for the variations on a theme of squid, Dr Duck, your idea sounds great, will certainly try that soon, stay tuned. Greenhornet, we do a stuffed squid recipe along the lines of: marinate the whole squid cones in brien, dry and smoke, then stuff with boiled egg, cooked prawns, avocado; refigerate for a couple of hours and then cut into bite size slices topped with black caviar, looks fabulous an tastes great. The smaller arrow squid are best for this meal.
Cheers, SinHof.

YUM, let me know when it is on the menu, I'll be coming over for dinner.... :lol:

Hi Folks,
Well this past week has been a bit of a squidathon in terms of capture,prep and cooking; in an earlier post Dr Duck kindly put up his recipe for salt and pepper squid; this morning the better half phoned up and informed me the fish monger had called into work and she had bought some fresh king prawns.
Hmmmmmm!!!, a squid entree? Thanks to Dr Duck, for his suggestion we had a absolute cracker of a seafood dinner, I prepared his salt and pepper squid with some minor changes, Sambal Oelok (chilli) and freshly prepared garlic paste. The better half put together a colourful prawn, mango and avocado salad, all washed down with a bottle of Lindeman's Early Harvest Semillon Sauvignon Blanc 2016, there is no risk that this combination will go into the favourite list and be enjoyed repeatedly through summer.
Cheers,SinHof.
1480671296_20161202_190440.jpg

Got orders from the boss lady to ensure some food happens for tea. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anyway, hit the butchers for some pork leg steaks, cooked em a little in the oven on 220 and rested em for 5 under foil.
Fried diced carrots till near done in butter, added a chopped red apple and fried till the apple was near softened, added a can of chopped matoes n puree (salt and tumeric) and left it to simmer for a bit.
Steemed a sliced zucchini till just tender to drop on top.
1480683561_20161202_192443.jpg

Certainly a different meal to normal, but only the young fella and myself actually liked it all, girls just ate meat then went on to watermelon followed by icecream n milo ,.... me, well I had to forgo the icecream bit, but I gave the watermelon a fair hiding (seedless and perfect) ! :p

Latest posts