Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoky bandit said:
.use a butter knife to mix....do not kneed at all..the more its mixed and kneeded...the dencer it will be :D

Yep, SB has it right, it is the same principle as scones, if you work the dough it develops the gluten, which is good for bread, but not good for damper and scones which depend on the baking soda to make them rise.

Also, make the dough fairly soft, which assists with the rise as well as making the product less dense. The butter helps make the finished result tender too.

Apparently the old timers used to resort to some interesting methods when baking soda was not available. I read years ago of blokes putting Eno's Fruit Salts in to rise the dough, but can't find any references to it on line!

No doubt the baking powder and butter free recipes were used when all that was on hand was flour and a bit of salt, and the main concern was simply getting feed, even if you needed sharp teeth and a strong jaw to eat it. That said, the ability to make good damper was highly valued and a mark of a good bushman.

Haven't made these for a while.
Stuffed burgers.
Made quite a few extra so I can take them to the GT camp next weekend.
And no! I'm not sharing..lol

20161022_165529.jpg

20161022_184254.jpg

20161022_182226.jpg

Hard Luck,

They look good...
Making me hungry...lol
Going to try those when I get home...

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

A few things I've cooked lately,

I'm lucky enough to have an old fashioned butcher who raises his own beef, and dry ages it. Here is a nice rib eye on the bone that I seared, rested in a low oven, and served with truffle butter, on Friday. Yep, I like it rare!

1477220479_steak1.jpg

1477220479_steak2.jpg

1477220479_steak3.jpg

Tonight we had a friend from up the road with her 4 hungry kids. They like my fried chicken, so I cooked up a few wings, marinated in butter milk and spices for 24 hours, and then floured with SR flour (makes it more crispy) and fried at 155C. I had a chilli sauce with butter to toss the wings in, for those who like it hot..

1477220706_wings.jpg

1477220706_wings2.jpg

No worries, HL,

The wings are segmented into the two main bits, and give the tips to the dogs. They are good to get the dogs to do tricks like drop, roll over, etc. The marinade is buttermilk, salt, pepper, chilli powder, garlic powder, onion powder, some sage powder and thyme. The exact mix does not matter too much, but I like it to be salty and a bit hot.

You need the marinade to be distinctly salty and spicy, as the flavor is not as strong as the marinade would leave you to believe. Stick them into the fridge for as long as you can, 24 hours is good. It makes the chicken very tender and juicy.

Flour the chicken in SR flour one bit at a time, and put the pieces on a tray for an hour or so to set. The SR flour makes it extra crispy. It also helps to put some marinade in the flour and rub it in to get some nice crunchy, lumpy bits happening.

Fry at a low heat, I have a temperature controlled fryer and cook at 155C., until the chicken has a nice colour and is cooked through. To cook that amount of chicken (4kg of wings - about 28 wings, or 56 pieces), I fried them in batches of 12 bits. Oil is mild olive oil (4l) with a lump of beef dripping (250g).

After all the bits are done, you simply have to drop the wings once again for a short time to heat and crisp them. As they are not cold, you can do about 18 bits at a time.

Naturally, you can cut up a whole chicken and cook it in the same way. Smaller chooks are better, say a number 9 or 10, bigger chooks are hard to cook through in a home fryer. The Colonel uses deep frying pressure cookers, and while I don't eat it much, I reckon the pieces have become smaller over the years.

Sauce is your favorite chilli sauce, with a bit a the tomato sauce I made to put on pizzas, some fish sauce, Sriracha chilli sauce, and good lump of butter. The yanks like Franks Hot Sauce, which is OK, but not as spicy as I like.

Went out to a quick trip to Oallen today, and caught up with Bazza and Jemba, who had been prospecting in another location. Results were average.

After the trip, I made simple surf and turf. It's just well seasoned steak quickly cooked at high heat and rested in a very low oven, while I seared the scallops, which had just been seasoned with salt and pepper, in the cast iron pan I cooked the steak in. I just melted some butter in once the scallops were half cooked. It was damned good.

1477651035_surf_and_turf.jpg

Thanks Bloke,
I will take you up on that one very quickly. :) :)
I am going to the NAPFA meeting on the 12th next month.
Looking forward to meeting up. :)

DrDuck said:
Tathradj said:
That Rib Eye would be awesome DrDuck. :) :)
Have to grab a few on the way back from Hill End.

Doug, let me know if you are passing through Goulburn! I can get a few cryovaced for you.

I went to Sydney yesterday, to take my eldest daughter out for lunch to celebrate her handing in her honours thesis in Occupational Therapy. Only one more prac to go and she will be finished, and hopefully working and off my payroll. Only two more girls to go after that.

Anyway, we had yum cha at the Chinese joint at the Sydney Fish Markets, and pretty good it was too. I took the opportunity to buy some seafood, which I cooked up tonight. King George whiting fillets, with a brown butter lemon sauce, garnished with salt and pepper tiger prawns and calamari.

We also went to Vick's Meats, which is a carnivore's paradise, and got some veal cutlets which I will cook up tomorrow.

1477822001_fish.jpg

Yep, Holdenmad, I made cutlets Milanese, seasoned with salt, fennel, white pepper, rosemary and thyme, and crumbed. Cooked in olive oil and butter. Just served with lemon and a green salad. Just delicious, but I did not get a pic.

DrDuck said:
No worries, HL,

The wings are segmented into the two main bits, and give the tips to the dogs. They are good to get the dogs to do tricks like drop, roll over, etc. The marinade is buttermilk, salt, pepper, chilli powder, garlic powder, onion powder, some sage powder and thyme. The exact mix does not matter too much, but I like it to be salty and a bit hot.

You need the marinade to be distinctly salty and spicy, as the flavor is not as strong as the marinade would leave you to believe. Stick them into the fridge for as long as you can, 24 hours is good. It makes the chicken very tender and juicy.

Flour the chicken in SR flour one bit at a time, and put the pieces on a tray for an hour or so to set. The SR flour makes it extra crispy. It also helps to put some marinade in the flour and rub it in to get some nice crunchy, lumpy bits happening.

Fry at a low heat, I have a temperature controlled fryer and cook at 155C., until the chicken has a nice colour and is cooked through. To cook that amount of chicken (4kg of wings - about 28 wings, or 56 pieces), I fried them in batches of 12 bits. Oil is mild olive oil (4l) with a lump of beef dripping (250g).

After all the bits are done, you simply have to drop the wings once again for a short time to heat and crisp them. As they are not cold, you can do about 18 bits at a time.

Naturally, you can cut up a whole chicken and cook it in the same way. Smaller chooks are better, say a number 9 or 10, bigger chooks are hard to cook through in a home fryer. The Colonel uses deep frying pressure cookers, and while I don't eat it much, I reckon the pieces have become smaller over the years.

Sauce is your favorite chilli sauce, with a bit a the tomato sauce I made to put on pizzas, some fish sauce, Sriracha chilli sauce, and good lump of butter. The yanks like Franks Hot Sauce, which is OK, but not as spicy as I like.

Thank you Dr.

Latest posts