Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There you go. Went the extra bit this morning. Also love crumbed feta on them.

1583714668_20200309_090440.jpg

DrDuck said:
Chops and cutlets are a luxury these days. We used to get them for breakfast in my grandma's pub back in the '60s.

The butcher used to throw in a shank for the dog. They are becoming a luxury item, too.

Yeah Dr. It's a bit ridiculous the cost of lamb these days. Thanks to some of those celebrity "chefs" even the cheap cuts have gone through the roof.

Hard Luck said:
DrDuck said:
Chops and cutlets are a luxury these days. We used to get them for breakfast in my grandma's pub back in the '60s.

The butcher used to throw in a shank for the dog. They are becoming a luxury item, too.

Yeah Dr. It's a bit ridiculous the cost of lamb these days. Thanks to some of those celebrity "chefs" even the cheap cuts have gone through the roof.

Yup. Butcher used to give us shanks for the dog. At our local Woolies T bone is on special for $22! Outrageous.

Made a couple of sourdoughs yesterday, and kept some dough to make a pizza, Neopolitan style.

Proper pizzas are cooked in an oven at 600C, far beyond the 240 or so a domestic ocem can do.

To recreate the authentic style, I stretched the dough rather than rolled it, and cooked it initially in a hot carbon steel saucepan before sticking it under a hot grill to finish.

Made a classic margarita with tomato, good fresh mozzarella, some pecorino (hard sheep's milk cheese), olive oil and a few basil leaves.

It was puffy, light, crunchy and delicious. Probably the best pizza I've made in 30 years.

All the girls were visiting with one fiancee in tow. After the pizza entree we had a small pork belly porchetta and a roast chicken with the usual trimmings.

Not too bad at all.

1584267127_fb_img_1584266550719.jpg

Made these beef short ribs the other night, sous vide 18h @ 78C.

Sous vide is seasoning the meat and vacuum sealing it before cooking it in a temperature controlled water bath.

Glazed with sauce constructed from the bag juices, and finished on the gas grill. Served with coleslaw and a jacket potato.

Was tender and delicious, just starting to shred.

1584525432_fb_img_1584525355998.jpg

Tonight I was Living large while I can still get decent meat. 800 g rib eye SV for 6 hours @ 57C and seared. Finished with a butter baste and a glaze manufactured from the bag juices.

I have 3.5 kg of scotch fillet dry aging and about the same amount of pork belly curing for bacon. 1/2 maple cure and 1/2 maple and gin cure.

So we won't starve in the next week anyway.

1584525627_fb_img_1584523259355.jpg

Most Meat has almost tripled in the last day here.Some has gone way further.
Pork fillet was $6.95 now $36 .
Looks like duck and rabbit will be on the menu in the coming weeks.And yes I know ducks are protected in qld but I don't give a dam .They still taste good and there's to many anyway.

Latest posts