Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about to tuck in.... just the Avocado and Chicken not from the garden :D
1566812556_screenshot_2019-08-26-19-39-56.jpg

I've been doing sous vide cooking lately. Basically, it's bagging up the food in vacuum bags and cooking at a controlled temperature, generally for an extended period of time.

Lamb shanks 48 hours @ 62C.

Pre seared the shanks and bagged them with shallot, celery, carrot, some cherry tomatoes and rosemary and a little garlic that had been cooked in EVO, deglazed with white wine and well reduced to get rid of the moisture.

Bagged them in pairs and added about a tablespoon of lamb glac de viande that was jellied, so vacuum sealing was not an issue.

Had these in the fridge for 4 days after the long cook. Reheated them SV for an hour, poured the juice into a saucepan, and added more lamb glac de viande, a little sugar, salt, black pepper, about a teaspoon of harissa and a little lemon juice.

Added parboiled carrots to the sauce once it had reduced a bit, and seared the shanks in EVO.

Served on some natural sourcraut that had been heated with shallot, a little garlic, and chicken stock with some black peppercorns and caraway.

I had a dirty Martini on the side.

It was a surprisingly effective and delicious combination, as I was not sure about the sauercraut.

1567675921_fb_img_1567675516419.jpg

That looks awesome drduck!
Could you sear the shanks after you sous vide them for a a different texture in the dish?

I've never cooked anything using the sous vide technique but I have read a bit about it and will definitely give the technique a go

HippyProspecting said:
Could you sear the shanks after you sous vide them for a a different texture in the dish?

I've never cooked anything using the sous vide technique but I have read a bit about it and will definitely give the technique a go

Yep HP, I seared the shanks before and after the sous vide cook. I think for steaks it's better not to sear beforehand, but it seems to work well for lamb.

DrDuck said:
HippyProspecting said:

Yep HP, I seared the shanks before and after the sous vide cook. I think for steaks it's better not to sear beforehand, but it seems to work well for lamb.

Thanks
I will keep that in mind

Lol, I grew up in a house like that.

First time I took my now wife for a Chinese with my family I had to put stuff in her bowl to make sure she got enough, as it was the quick or the hungry, and Jannine is a slow eater.

But here is not much work to prepare and bag the shanks, and I cut a hole in a cheap Coleman cooler to accommodate the sous vide circulator. It does not need any attention during the cook.

The time in the fridge was simply because I made the shanks on Monday, and ate the first batch then. I could easily have made 6 or more batches and frozen them.

Once you have cooked the SV, finishing the dish is no more complicated than cooking a normal dinner.

However, I like cooking (and eating) and am on a years long service leave, so making nice dinners is no problem.

We have been staying with friends on Leyte island in the Philippines , our friends own a house in a small fishing village near the sea shore.
Population of about 500 people and lots of children.
Yesterday we cooked pansit canton (noodle dish with mix vegatables and pork ) and fed all the children , 130 meals served.

We have taken lots of pictures along with a few drone videos but we have limited internet in this place , so its hard to upload the videos and pictures at this time. Will do so when I have better internet.

Latest posts