Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RM Outback said:
ctxkid said:
what is the green stuff in the photos ??

:lol: :lol: :lol: it's the vegan ingredient that the sheep ate so we could get some vegan vitamin value in the meal :playful: I love processed vegan tucker :lol: :Y: if it hasn't been processed the right way you'll find it's only good for the chooks :p

can ya bale some an send it please , the sheep up round this way are getting a taste for rocks , lucky bugger with so much :Y:

ctxkid said:
RM Outback said:
ctxkid said:
what is the green stuff in the photos ??

:lol: :lol: :lol: it's the vegan ingredient that the sheep ate so we could get some vegan vitamin value in the meal :playful: I love processed vegan tucker :lol: :Y: if it hasn't been processed the right way you'll find it's only good for the chooks :p

can ya bale some an send it please , the sheep up round this way are getting a taste for rocks , lucky bugger with so much :Y:

If I could I would but it isn't mine, you'd cry if I took a photo of the paddocks they will do very well out of it. I hope you guys get the right rain sooner rather than later or not at all .

A couple of recent, comfort food meals. Pulled lamb in the slow cooker and a monster T bone with onion gravy. I am keen to cook but life keeps interfering. Bloody work n grand kids. LOL :p :lol:

1569584582_pulled_lamb.jpg

1569584582_tbone1.jpg

Rubbed a KG of pork belly with good Shanghai dark soy sauce, some good Vietnamese fish sauce, white pepper and five spice. Sous vide for 18 hours @ 60C.

Cooled it down, sliced and sauted.

Served on a vaguely Vietnamese salad of rice noodles, peanut sauce beancurd, cucumber, mint, coriander, green shallots and chopped peanuts.

Dressing was white pepper and coriander root pounded in the mortar and pestle, with lime juice, Chinese white vinegar, fish sauce, peanut butter and some stevia and monkfruit sweetner. Some fried shallots for crunch, and some super hot crispy sambal anchovies on mine because I like it hot.

It was not undelicious!

1571656793_fb_img_1571651986716.jpg

1571656823_fb_img_1571651999657.jpg

1571656847_fb_img_1571652005730.jpg

1571656869_fb_img_1571652010893.jpg

Smoky bandit said:
Wow looks good...Alot of work for 6 small bits of pork belly :8 :Y:

Well, that was only half of it. It's easy to cook a big bit, but there is only two of us at home.

The sous vide is set and forget, just season the meat, bag it and throw it in the bath. As the process pasteurises the meat, you can put it in the fridge until you need it. Much easier and less attention required than slow smoking for example.

Finishing is quick and easy, and the results very good - very tender and juicy with no shrinkage - and almost impossible to achieve with other methods.

So overall, in my opinion, i's a useful technique.

DrDuck said:
Smoky bandit said:

Well, that was only half of it. It's easy to cook a big bit, but there is only two of us at home.

The sous vide is set and forget, just season the meat, bag it and throw it in the bath. As the process pasteurises the meat, you can put it in the fridge until you need it. Much easier and less attention required than slow smoking for example.

Finishing is quick and easy, and the results very good - very tender and juicy with no shrinkage - and almost impossible to achieve with other methods.

Well very good then :Y: :)
And that's all that counts. :Y:
You have sparked my interest in this method.

Smoky bandit said:
DrDuck said:
Smoky bandit said:

Well very good then :Y:
I shall give it a go. :beer:
Looks and would taste great, but a lot of effort and cost for a home cooked meal. You will need to fork out for vacuum sealer and Sous Vide cooker, so bang goes several hundred $$$.

Me I like just about anything fortunately/unfortunately, so I don't like to go to much time, effort and cost for my tucker.

Rob P

PabloP said:
Smoky bandit said:
DrDuck said:
Smoky bandit said:

Well very good then :Y:
I shall give it a go. :beer:
Looks and would taste great, but a lot of effort and cost for a home cooked meal. You will need to fork out for vacuum sealer and Sous Vide cooker, so bang goes several hundred $$$.

Me I like just about anything fortunately/unfortunately, so I don't like to go to much time, effort and cost for my tucker.

Rob P
Yer Mate ,
I'll stick to my slow smoked 1/4 pig.. :lol: :lol: :beer:

A mate went fishing yesterday, unfortunately I was not able to go as I had the plumber booked in.

He did OK, but had to battle the mutton birds to get a bait down. The birds have no problems diving to pick up a bait 5 meters or more down.

Anyway, he gave me this beautiful snapper of a kilo that I simply BBQ'd and dressed with olive oil and lemon and some grilled asparagus on the side. A nice meal for the two of us.

1572085850_fb_img_1572084919185.jpg

1572085876_fb_img_1572084933582.jpg

I have just been cooking standard meals. Nothing to compare with the wonderful food you all have been posting. My first day off after 8 shift work days. On the worst part of our roster. Six weeks with no day work. Only arvo and night shift.

Looking for tasty, healthy meals. Had a look on line at many Broccoli salad and created my own version. Added chicken to make a complete meal. Be a nice side dish without the Chook. As with any recipe there can be variations. I added some options in the ingredients list

1573806253_20191115_144653.jpg

Chicken Broccoli Salad

Ingredients

1 Chicken breast, cooked, diced. We used some leftover BBQ chicken.
1 head broccoli
1/2 cup green beans chopped. (Optional)
1 carrot cut into match sticks. (Optional)
4 rashers streaky bacon, cooked and diced.
Celery stick sliced.
Corn kernels. Fresh or canned, frozen. (Optional)
Pine nuts. ( Could use Walnuts, Almonds etc)
Pepitas. (As above.... Use your Fav nuts)
Dried cranberries. ( We had them in the pantry. Could use raisins, sultanas etc)
1/2 Red onion, diced.

Dressing.

1 Tsp Mayonnaise.
2 Tblspn Olive Oil
2 Tsp Sugar.
1 Tblspn Mustard. (Option. Dijonaise instead of this and Mayo)
Juice from one lemon plus the zest.
Salt, pepper
Garlic minced. (We have some delicious Black garlic and I grated it over the salad instead)

Place all ingredients into a jar and shake. Or whisk in a bowl.

Method.

NOTE. I don't really measure much so add or subtract the ammounts to suit your tatses.

Cut broccoli into flowerettes.
Microwave Brocolli, Carrots and beans for 1 minute. ( Can be eaten raw but we prefer them like this).
Rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Drain and allow to cool.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
Mix in the dressing. ( I could have made more dressing for this amount of salad.)

Latest posts