Today I BOUGHT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to complicate it a little more, I'm currently sitting here thinking-do I or do I not purchase a coiltek 14" mono elite to hang off it. The 5000 already comes with the two commander 11's and the 15"x12"... Decisions, decisions!

tassietaurusbull said:
Nice rigs guys I'm a complete ford guy. Today I bought a service on my old ba falcon just $1330.00 with new ball joints and bits. Oh and I got a 60-100zoom magnify glasses too of eBay today with other bits and bobs.

hey mate
I like your avatar! is the most beautiful flag in the world!

TheSilentBugler said:
Hammers and a pick. Market bargains.

Miners pick and little sledge have some real age to them, pick will be restored, and ready for use soon. Trying to make out makers mark on little FBH.

Anyone know the name or use of the curved hammer?

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1539/1435458520_unnamed.jpg

the one on the left mate is a common brickies hammer, its a chipper they are still used today and i still carry one in my truck top pop quartz with. the top one i also have one of these i got from the markets, hardest thing is finding a handle that fits, they are amazing at busting open ground and if you look closely in the old mining pictures you will see everyone had one back in the day and they have lasted very well.

StateLibQld_1_102208_Gold_miners_outside_a_bark_hut,_Queensland,_ca._1870.jpg

Know what you're saying Keano. Win win situation hey? You DO know that she will more than likely expect to find more gold than you when you're both out detecting together though, don't you????? ;) ;) ;)

G0lddigg@ said:
TheSilentBugler said:

Miners pick and little sledge have some real age to them, pick will be restored, and ready for use soon. Trying to make out makers mark on little FBH.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1539/1435458520_unnamed.jpg

the one on the left mate is a common brickies hammer, its a chipper they are still used today and i still carry one in my truck top pop quartz with. the top one i also have one of these i got from the markets, hardest thing is finding a handle that fits, they are amazing at busting open ground and if you look closely in the old mining pictures you will see everyone had one back in the day and they have lasted very well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._outside_a_bark_hut,_Queensland,_ca._1870.jpg

Hi there GOlddigg@,
You just wondering if the door stopper in the picture is a nugget :D ;)

I have a plan for that to mate, all be it a short term one! We are proud owners of a two and half & 6 month old girls, so it will be sometime before we both hit the fields together! ;) But hey, she beats me regularly when where out fishing, so why would detecting be any different!!

G0lddigg@ said:
TheSilentBugler said:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._outside_a_bark_hut,_Queensland,_ca._1870.jpg
I reckon the bloke on the right has got a dirty big one under that hat. Nugget that is. :p

TheSilentBugler said:
Cheers GOlddigg@, did you find a handle or make one to fit?

mate not exactly, the bloke at the market i set him a challenge, hes the kind of guy that sees alot of bits and pieces so figured hed nail it. i said if you can find a handle i'm happy to pay extra. he did but its an axe handle that isnt quite right. It was good for a few months but started to give way. If you seen how much of a hammering i give my tools you wouldn't be surprised :) i am still looking for a perfect fit, its needs to be rounded at both ends of the head section..

1435804985_20150702_122839.jpg

1435804986_20150702_122903.jpg

Gotcha, an axe head is never gonna be right, had a look, but the shaft is all wrong, given they're a one way tool, let alone the profile where it goes in the head.

I'll let you know how I go, got a couple ideas at the mo.

yeh basically he tricked me by packing it full of wood and silicone, which lasted about 5 minutes :) i'm sure if you look around at the head shaped you will be able to find something...

Plan A is a mattock handle in imported hickory, in just about any hardware store, would need some shaping, but the shaft profile is right and plenty of meat on the head end, full bottle elbow grease and a rasp would do it.

Plan B is a custom job in spotted gum, historically right, and I'll have some stock soon for some other ye olde tool handles anyway. Much Bigger job, but would be a thing of simple, useful, beauty.

i reckon go with b, a will be unnecessarily heavy for the extra bulk used in a mattock just my thoughts.

plus you're taking away 80% of the shaft :) although you could heat treat it and tap it in as well to re harden the core. hmmm now i remember why i walked away form this one

1435808069_20150702_132718.jpg

an old time spoke shave is excellent for making wooden handles.. sometimes a piece of pipe welded in lasts very well if you are really giving the implement a work out. :)

Latest posts