The Weekend Prospector TV series (Original - Tommy)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One detects that a few posts in string that's almost Minelab "haters" :8
Should always remember that no matter the equipment, it's only as good as the operator ;)

Dog Ranger said:
One detects that a few posts in string that's almost Minelab "haters" :8
Should always remember that no matter the equipment, it's only as good as the operator ;)

Most of us are just having a dig at the poor script and acting and over the top seeding / put up detecting... I like my ML gear in general but must admit that since the new owners have taken over... That ML seem to have taken on a different culture re advertising etc but I guess it is just the shift to capture the new markets.

It may help sales but does little to promote a responsible hobby from the feedback and comments I have seen/experienced outside of the fourm. Only good thing is that there will be lots of hardly used equipment on the secondhand market once again. Then again my ML gear never stops working.

As to only as good as the Operator... 110% on the money but even the guests (other advertisers, so called MD people ) are clearly showing any lack of skills other than I want my face to be on TV.

Maybe I am just old school and Fake news/People etc. are just not worth wasting time on or with...

Still lots of subjective editing but something a little more real and maybe like the ALONE series, would provide a more factual life and times of prospectors and relic/coin hunters...

Had a Chrissy beer with a neighbour yesterday and he asked have I seen the show I said it's to painful to watch. He has never prospected in any way his reply was he can't believe people allow the show to go to air. At least not everyone who knows nothing have the sense to recognise trash when they see it.

You could piece together a series of 30min episodes made up of segments of various YouTube footage that would be more informative & better presented.
Actually wouldn't be a bad idea to contact some XIV I.e. Walnliz, JayGold, Aussie Gold Prospector, Goldhounds, JP, Nenad, Steelphase, The Bearded Prospectors, Vo-Gus etc. etc. etc

No matter how shite this show is,it still has quite a few people tuning into it every episode to watch how bad it is,so it has worked

I understand where you fellas are coming from re this show. It was incredibly simplistic, even a bit insulting to experienced gold hunters and not in any way representative of the real world of gold detecting in Australia.
It would be nice to be able to trot out and find a few quick nuggs. and to be able to afford to toss a 7000 about like it was just a few bucks. I saw somebody do the same thing on a show about the Garrett AT Gold.

The thing is that it is possible to stumble upon a good size nug on a first time out. I did exactly that in Wedderburn many years ago when Using my Sov XS. Got a strong signal that sounded like iron and I walked away from it but it nagged at me and I went back and dug it up. It was nice near on 2 oz clean nugg approx 5 inches down in an area that had clearly had plenty of detectors over it.at the time they would have likely have been Garrett Deep Seekers and A2B ground Hogs The iron tone was caused by the heavy iron mineralisation.messing up the Disc mode of the Sov. It was that day that taught me to never use Disc when searching for gold . .

Another thing is that if you are going to make a show about gold prospecting with metal detectors then you will not hold many viewers for very long if you just show people spending hours or weeks finding nothing....This is the reality for the majority of us who can go out for up to a year or so before getting a sniff of gold.

Just an opinion to strike up a bit more debate re these poor attempt gold prospecting shows.

something drove me the other day to watch #5 8.( :poop:

thankfully i went to sleep :zzz:

last thing i remember was the ring in deep water :money:

I have to agree, selling the sizzle not the sausage!
A few ideas!
Laomers What to look for in the gold fields 4 or five pages of information 10 or more pages of thanks and praise!
Setting up your detector, on a Gpx 5k show me where and when you would use coin and relic what it sounds like when its unbalanced (ground), when to turn up the gain and balancing gain and stabiliser. Not using a 5k then show me how to use the one have in different places searching for different targets.
Research and planning.
Matt T

Problems with some of these shows and quick and big value finds is that some; who can not truly afford it, spend $ and seriously think they will make $$$.

Buyer beware or A fool and his $ are easily separated...

Intent of the show is to sell product - yep does that.

A true reflection of the hobby and hard work = NO Fiffen way

Season 2 will be so much better.

1546306622_screenshot_20190101-113155_facebook.jpg

Wishfull said:
Are the producers not listening to comments ? :( :N:
They probably have no idea that there is a few forums that cover prospecting.
My thoughts are the producers know absolutely nothing about prospecting.

Wishfull said:

FB page is full of 2000 plus like and loves and all positive comments.. Any thing else seems to just vanish LOL.

So the producers and sponsors are loving it...

Can not wait to see him pan and pull out grams of alluvial at a time....

AngerManagement said:
Wishfull said:

FB page is full of 2000 plus like and loves and all positive comments.. Any thing else seems to just vanish LOL.

So the producers and sponsors are loving it...

Can not wait to see him pan and pull out grams of alluvial at a time....

Will probably be like the first prospectors to pan a dish at Sofala in the 1800's they got half a dish of gold each time!!!
I hope they put that in. It would start a new rush to Sofala. :lol:

Latest posts