The MXT (In Depth)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridge Runner said:
silver said:
Ridge Runner said:
To pin point in any mode sweep the coil over the target and scrap a mark (Line) on the ground with your boot, then turn 90* to the target and do the same again and where the centre of the X is is where the target Is, ok.
Old school. :D

Yeah that's right, lol

That 14" coil he has got is a 8x14 and it's like a boat, in fact if he had 2 of em they could double up as Snow shoes, I got one of the Older 8x14 concentrics for the GMT but it is the only Whites coil that looses sensitivity on small targets because of its size. his 950 coil is way better for pin pointing,

Thanks RR, will put the 950 eclipse on tonight.
does the "eclipse" refer to the shape of the beam?

Took my mxt out today for my first real run with it.
Was a hot day, by 1030 it was close to 40 deg, id already downed 2 lt of water.
Area was an abandoned mine, with a reputation of nugget or nothing. After a few hot rocks, got a confusing indication of iron, +94 followed by bullet +40 Then big item , iron 90.....so I dug, found a really big ball bearing, put the detector over the hole, and got the bullet +40 again!
You beauty im thinking. Swithed to prospecting mode, adjusted settings, got a high pitched squeel with a 10% probability of iron, ran it past my entrenching tool and got a growl, back over the hole, screech! Right! I start digging again, and put the spoil on my plastic bucket lid. Ran the detector over the lid, screech! Great its on the lid. Grab a hand ful, run it past the coil, nothin, repeat, same, then, I just tip the lid into the bucket, gotta get out of the sun!
So start driving out, cross a nice dry creek. Why not, walk down about 30m, stretch of bed rock exposed, run the coil over the crevices, all I get is the occasional hot rock, then, in the middle of nowhere, I get a stong beep, get confusing indication again, iron, bullet, iron, braclet, from -90, s to + 40, s so I have to dig, hard digging, all gravel and large chuncks of quartz. Dig half a bucket of gravel and fine grey dirt, then get back to the aircon hilux, hit the road, home.
Get home, and decide to pan the 3/4 bucket. No gold. But I did find my mystery "fugget" a piece of tin folded up......that came from the ball bearing hole.
Also found some mineral that pans just like gold, behaves like panned gold, but is blue! Its a beautiful metalic blue, pretty small flakes, will try to photograph a piece.

1443947318_20151004_1753371.jpg
1443947336_20151004_1751531.jpg

I am not sure why you moved from the first spot ??, maybe you should go back there and find out what was causing the signal, a reading of +10 will be a non ferrous target, you could have found a nice little patch,

Ball Baring?? looks more like a canon ball, lol

Ridge Runner said:
I am not sure why you moved from the first spot ??, maybe you should go back there and find out what was causing the signal, a reading of +10 will be a non ferrous target, you could have found a nice little patch,

Stayed at the 1st spot, and got the target, it was a piece of folded up tin or aluminium, dug from same hole as the cannon ball! Lol.
I actually thought it was a hand grenade from WW2 when I started to uncover it. Had to move after my 3rd washer, 2nd star picket, bolt, nut, beer can, and to top it off, I thought I had found the welcome strangers brother.....lead pipe.

davent said:
Ridge Runner said:

Stayed at the 1st spot, and got the target, it was a piece of folded up tin or aluminium, dug from same hole as the cannon ball! Lol.
I actually thought it was a hand grenade from WW2 when I started to uncover it. Had to move after my 3rd washer, 2nd star picket, bolt, nut, beer can, and to top it off, I thought I had found the welcome strangers brother.....lead pipe.

Yeah I found a Iron/steel 5 bar fence once some one had squashed it flat and buried it, biggest hole I ever dug,, lol

Any idea what the blue flakes are?
Im gonna call them "Blue". Will pan for some more "Blue" next week. Maybe find a big ass nugget of "Blue"

davent said:
Any idea what the blue flakes are?
Im gonna call them "Blue". Will pan for some more "Blue" next week. Maybe find a big ass nugget of "Blue"

not a clue,, does it bleep on the detector??

Latest posts