The MXT (In Depth)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wolfau said:
Gold Diver said:
I'll Chip in here,

Have you actually tried doing this test early morning or at Night?

What time does the mineralization moderate?
-2 C out in the desert between 10pm -7.30 am BTW.

I'm just putting together a quick video, hope to have it up tomorrow.

Gold Diver said:
John Mate, If you ever make it over here, look me up, be great to take you out on the Gold.

Cheers for the info

GD

Thanks GD, that would be Great, I will be coming Home as Soon A John Jr has finished College, maybe A Bit sooner I hope, It's been A Couple of years since I have been Back, But Life can do that to a person, Aye.

John

Since you mention Bruce Candy, John, it's worth noting a couple of relevant comments in his recent Minelab Knowledge Base Article (KBA 24-1), Basics of the GPZ 7000 Technology: Zero Voltage Transmission (ZVT):

In the context of comparing the issues of ground balancing with VLF, PI and ZVT technologies, he notes, A disadvantage of PI is its lesser ability to detect very small nuggets compared to VLF detectors. And also, Another disadvantage of PI is its capability at detecting very large nuggets compared to CW metal detectors, such as ZVT. CW means Continuous Wave and includes all technologies that do not have zero transmit periods (almost all technologies other than PI). [ie. VLF].

The successes of the SDC and the GPZ show just how much gold has been overlooked with the supposedly all-conquering PI's and like Gold Diver above, I believe that some of that gold is readily findable with modern VLF detectors.

grubstake said:
Since you mention Bruce Candy, John, it's worth noting a couple of relevant comments in his recent Minelab Knowledge Base Article (KBA 24-1), Basics of the GPZ 7000 Technology: Zero Voltage Transmission (ZVT):

In the context of comparing the issues of ground balancing with VLF, PI and ZVT technologies, he notes, A disadvantage of PI is its lesser ability to detect very small nuggets compared to VLF detectors. And also, Another disadvantage of PI is its capability at detecting very large nuggets compared to CW metal detectors, such as ZVT. CW means Continuous Wave and includes all technologies that do not have zero transmit periods (almost all technologies other than PI). [ie. VLF].

The successes of the SDC and the GPZ show just how much gold has been overlooked with the supposedly all-conquering PI's and like Gold Diver above, I believe that some of that gold is readily findable with modern VLF detectors.

Wow, That's Impressive Stuff,

I see why the ZED is having a Big Impact on finding Gold, The ZED is often referred as A Hybrid (crossed between A PI and A VLF) But it seem to work like a VLF but with the power of A PI, Where as PI's have not much to Offer in Normal Ground I am wondering How the ZED would do because of how it behaves like a VLF but it can do it in Hot Ground.

With VLFs I have Dug Some Monstrous Big Holes and in one Area where the soil went from Black as I dug down it went to a greenish sandy colour with Tiny Ruby Coloured Grains in it, But the depth was Huge with most holes being over 17 to 19 inches for coins and small bits of Lead Using a 10" coil.

If ZED Type Technology was Actually put into A Real VLF then I think the Company that Builds it will put every other company out of Business within A Year,

Going back to the Third Tone Issue, We all crave more depth from our Machines and we Change brands In Search for the All Seeing Eye, Yet We have the Tools built into these machines yet so many people never give it a second thought and we trade in our machines to gain another Inch or So yet this third tone will add many inches NOT one or two. I don't think the VLF story is Over yet, But maybe in the next year or So we will see if any of the Rumours Are True,

Thanks Grubstake for the Great Info.

John

VLFs are not over yet. Nor are PIs.
If you take a look at the jump from the last decent PI, you'll notice a large amount of room for improvement with the timings compared to that used in the SDCs MPF timing. And they went back to a 6v operation in the SDC.?....with on board batteries of an older matrix.
Imagine a new PI model, built with one timing...made to reach a certain depth and nugget size.? Like an SDC with say a......12"-14" coil.?
The mind boggles doesn't it?... :/

Minelab simply jumped way ahead without going in between. Its written in their own literature. Question is....Will they improve on the current PI platform.? If they don't...perhaps someone else will.?

I think no one has A Clue what can be done, They Only know some of the things that can't be done and I think they spend a lot of time trying to get those things to work instead of getting on with something New

Narrawa said:
The SDC is still a PI detector.

I realise that, but by altering some of the established Minelab PI design basics, it showed just how many smaller nuggets are still available at shallow depths - no doubt we've all seen the stunning pics of dozens or hundreds of pieces uncovered (and in some cases, thousands!) These nuggets are mostly being found in VLF territory, for those with the skills and machines to handle the mineralisation. And a skillfully-used VLF will also find some of the remaining bigger, deeper pieces at the same time, as Gold Diver and Ridge Runner are saying.

Optimum times for gold prospecting: 5-7am - lowest angle of the sun, 11-1pm - highest angle of the sun, 5-7pm - lowest angle of the sun.

Sun flares and weather have a considerable effect on prospecting also. http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/communities/space-weather-enthusiasts

When the flare class goes above 'C' in the Flare Class chart; it's a No-Go day for gold hunting.

The article here is also something to ponder. This guy is brilliant. And with the device below if you learn some basic dowsing things could get very interesting indeed....http://www.smh.com.au/national/water-diviners-dowsers-may-have-special-sensitivity-to-electromagnetism-20141227-12cpvm.html

I've brought a top of the range detector (not an electronic metal-dector) from the US and am trialing it now. Some very interesting results.

Have a Captain Cook at it here:http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=121568507581&Long-Range-Gold-Detector-Locator-TFR-1-Custom-Dowsing-Rod-

As I've been crook with a tooth extraction a while back, I haven't been out for a while but am back on the track next week or so after I get some topo maps of the Kilkivan and Eidsvold area

Isn't that Long Range Locator missing some component(s)? They usually have a calculator attached to them to compute the data received by the rod.

Narrawa said:
Imagine a new PI model, built with one timing...made to reach a certain depth and nugget size.? Like an SDC with say a......12"-14" coil.?

Yep, it's called the GPZ7000 ;)

1437279425_image.jpg

Me Looking for new ground, where to start????

A very interesting discussion.

If the Gpz7000 is a super VLF, do you think that is why it's having a few teething problems RE ground balance??
And how long before Whites released thier PI VLF combo, or other company's relize this will be the way forward in the future? Exciting times ahead.
And hats off to Minelab for pushing the boundreys of what can be achieved.

i strongly believe as said previously that too much enfisis is on finding a small gold, and not enough on discrimination, and good target separation. You have to work hard in areas that were picked over by the old timers with their tin cans everywhere, but that's where the gold is and you will be rewarded.
Plus I have found lots of old coins which makes the day really enjoyable.
That's why I own the MXT, and also like using DD coils with a GP3000. But ground mineralization makes it almost impossible for me to deal with most of the time with a VLF, so here is hoping for improvements.

Just one last thing on the SDC2300, and I'm not saying its a bad detector, because it's a great unit but really, if that was designed with the public in mind you have got to be kidding me.
It looks like it has been designed for military and then sold to the public as an afterthought.
Brand new until and I had to wrap tape around the batteries after a phone call to Reeds Prospecting because it was shutting down on me, and that arm rest should be sold with a warning sticker.
Just sell me a detector, water proof box, comfortable and reasonably priced.
90% of us don't care it folds up like a Transformer. I'm in the 10% that did care, but now figuring a way to pack the GPX series into my backpack.

Sometimes simple is best

GD

Gold Diver said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3502/1437279425_image.jpg

Me Looking for new ground, where to start????

A very interesting discussion.

If the Gpz7000 is a super VLF, do you think that is why it's having a few teething problems RE ground balance??
And how long before Whites released thier PI VLF combo, or other company's relize this will be the way forward in the future? Exciting times ahead.
And hats off to Minelab for pushing the boundreys of what can be achieved.

i strongly believe as said previously that too much enfisis is on finding a small gold, and not enough on discrimination, and good target separation. You have to work hard in areas that were picked over by the old timers with their tin cans everywhere, but that's where the gold is and you will be rewarded.
Plus I have found lots of old coins which makes the day really enjoyable.
That's why I own the MXT, and also like using DD coils with a GP3000. But ground mineralization makes it almost impossible for me to deal with most of the time with a VLF, so here is hoping for improvements.

Just one last thing on the SDC2300, and I'm not saying its a bad detector, because it's a great unit but really, if that was designed with the public in mind you have got to be kidding me.
It looks like it has been designed for military and then sold to the public as an afterthought.
Brand new until and I had to wrap tape around the batteries after a phone call to Reeds Prospecting because it was shutting down on me, and that arm rest should be sold with a warning sticker.
Just sell me a detector, water proof box, comfortable and reasonably priced.
90% of us don't care it folds up like a Transformer. I'm in the 10% that did care, but now figuring a way to pack the GPX series into my backpack.

Sometimes simple is best

GD

Oh Dear O Dear, I just fell in Love with That Bike, I Know its Off Topic but What is It :eek: :eek: :eek:

Because of the MXT's Junk ID and the fact it can handle Fairly hot ground is the Reason It has Such A Following and sifting through the Old Mining Camps Is where you will find the forgotten Gold and The Old Coins are A Great Way Of Dating The History of the Area, Finding Coins Helps to Fill In The Blank Space's, from the oldest to the youngest coin which will give you an Idea of when they got there and when they left, Any machine that can do that is just as important as the top of the line PI and In a lot of cases even more So, Australia Is A proving Ground for Any Machine But Through Out the Whole World VLF's Are King At Tracking A Nations History., And As For their Durability they Even Took And Used the GMT In Antarctica, So from one of the Hottest Place's On the Planet in OZ to the Coldest Place On Earth You can get much more flexible than that, So these Machines have to have something going for them, Aye.

John

Off topic, but a great place to detect wouldn't you agree??
That place has an old Aboriginal water hole at the top of the home hill known as a Gnamma hole (ngamma) They made it with fire, and cooling with water, slowly cracking the granite until it made a well 3 meters down in solid rock, trapping spring water coming out of the hill.
Sometimes made naturally, but I am told by an elder this is how this particular hole was made.
I'm not sure how old it is, but I would say thousands of years.
I found old spear heads, and chipped rocks for skinning animals, but they remain there as that's where they should stay.
Prospecting is so much more than finding Gold sometimes.

Bike is a Yamaha XT, she's the best prospecting buddy I have.

GD

I Agree, Seeing that Landscape at the end of the day and watching the Sun Come up there Is Gold In it's Self.

I am already Swinging A Coil over that Spot In my Mind, It's No wonder why we do this, Everything about is A Win Win situation.

Thanks for posting it,

John

PhaseTech said:
Narrawa said:

Is the 7k pulse induction.?...damn!!!....lead astray once again. :lol:

Narrawa said:
PhaseTech said:
Narrawa said:

Is the 7k pulse induction.?...damn!!!....lead astray once again. :lol:

It's A DDL, Deep down Locator, I think??

Latest posts