The Golden Triangle GT Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HoudiniHarry said:
Happy to meet up around Inglewood message me for catch up on. Sunday sometime

Cheers hh

Hey Harry,

I am not sure of when I will be leaving but I will let you know if I am available to meet up with you. How would you like me to contact you?

Thanks!

goldierocks said:
Around old shallow workings. In any number of places. Persistence is the key, but I find many people swing around an area, move on, try somewhere else, move on. Except for areas that are very readily accessible, most areas still have a bit of gold, although nuggets are in short supply nowadays.

Thanks for the info, will remember the next time I go out :)

Deepseeker said:
Hi NuggetGod. Welcome to PA.

As HH says, Research is the key, followed by persistence and knowing your machine & its manual intimately.
John Tully's gold maps are a good start (although I don't know if he has put one out for Wedderburn?). Geovic is also good once you get used to it's different layers, and the fact that it usually crashes on the weekend :)
Happy hunting :pickshovel: :goldnugget:

I have visited the local information centre and got some prospecting maps and locations. Thanks for the tips!

HoudiniHarry said:
Hope it was an interesting day out the bush. Good luck with the gold search.

Cheers HH

It sure was! Thank you, we had a great time. Good job on that nugget you found!

Chasin general infoo detecting Vic, I have a jayco penguin outback and plan to camp at the free camping grounds with toilets. Will do my research and nominate 3 or 4 campsites. I also have a very reliable 4 wd.
So what iam wondering is Can i get to the out of the way places or should i bring a regestered dirt bike.
If i can get to the hard to get places in the fourby that would be great, to bring the bike it's a bit of drama as i woul have to take the canopy of the ute.

Any advive would be much appreciated and thanks.Never been to Vic detecting.

Polky.

As far as any ground I've covered in the GT if you have a reliable 4X4 and it isn't a show piece you'll be right without the bike :Y: Keep us posted on your visit :beer: I hope your not planning on doing it over summer it's can be and will most likely be bloody hot.

Thanks for the info fellas. Trip will be next year, no restraints on when i go,so will do the reseach p :8 plan the camp spots, and head down from qld when weather is at it's kindest. Not keen on it being to cold though.

Thanks again.

polky said:
Thanks for the info fellas. Trip will be next year, no restraints on when i go,so will do the reseach p :8 plan the camp spots, and head down from qld when weather is at it's kindest. Not keen on it being to cold though.
Thanks again.

Kindest = autumn and spring.
Unfortunately, central Victoria in the winter can be a grey, cold, damp, miserable place indeed.

Agree with grubstake on Autumn :Y: spring is ok but can experience big rain /hail and wind.

Mid March to mid April. Cool nights & warm days but the frosts don't start until mid April - start of May.

Just be aware that the school holidays start early next year - 28 March for 2 weeks. Then Easter long weekend is the 21st of April. Usually a PA meet up that weekend I think if you are still around :Y:

Ok, a family member asked me what part of the "Golden Triangle" would be the hands down best area. He wasn't asking for a patch but more generally. I kinda said this is an impossible question, but said I know where to ask!
So, any one wanna say where is best? Is it still Ballarat and Creswick? Or are you all too cagey. I'd Understand...

If you zoom out a bit with the gold finds overlain on the map, the entire western central part of Victoria is just one big gold patch :lol:

UnderEmployedGeo said:
Ok, a family member asked me what part of the "Golden Triangle" would be the hands down best area.
So, any one wanna say where is best?

In all seriousness most "known" public land areas with established old timers diggings have been walked over by many many detectors BUT ..... walk in any direction 5 /10 /20 meters from them and you just might strike a new patch.

Best would be Private land adjoining these diggings but landowners are reluctant to let you detect there .... you'll probably get shot.

Best idea, pin a map to the wall and throw a dart at it ......

UnderEmployedGeo said:
Ok, a family member asked me what part of the "Golden Triangle" would be the hands down best area. He wasn't asking for a patch but more generally. I kinda said this is an impossible question, but said I know where to ask!
So, any one wanna say where is best? Is it still Ballarat and Creswick? Or are you all too cagey. I'd Understand...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You're Funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
X marks the spot a question like that Eh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Another one :clap: :clap:

UnderEmployedGeo said:

Where is best? well it depends....,
Today when speaking of the Golden Triangle the term generally encompasses the whole Central Goldfields Tourist Region and you can draw a triangle between any of the outer three of the nine major gold rush towns in the region (I stretched it to include Blackwood/Barry's Reef) However, historically the GOLDEN TRIANGLE of Welcome Stranger fame is Dunolly > Tarnagulla > Moliagal > Dunolly. Try Secret Hill at Waanyarra.

PS:The search button is your friend ;)

Latest posts