The Best Gold Detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridge Runner said:
If a person is only going out there 2 weekends a year it is not worth spend 6 to 10K on a machine that is only going to gather dust for 360 days of the year.

In my 45 years, I've never had a hobby. I've made plenty of bad investments, but never on a hobby.

Ridge Runner said:
...research is your best friend and going out there with some skilled members would be a bonus than trying to battle on on your own.

I'm glad I found Prospecting Australia.

Ridge Runner said:
I am happy to find what ever, whether it's coins or Gold, A good time and good company are worth more than Gold.

I'm only interested in finding Gold, and if I'm giving you a high five, it's because you're only interested in finding gold. ;)

BetPlacer said:
mbasko said:
If repairs or upgrades were required for the QED then it would need to be returned to Australia although if technically minded the manufacturer may be able to talk you through minor repairs?
Bringing your own into Australia won't be an issue. There is EMC compliance here (same as FCC) but all major brands like Minelab, Garrett, Whites, Fisher, Tesoro, Nokta/Makro are already used here so must comply. The QED is compliant to EMC regulations.

When and if I come to Australia, I'll likely just bring my own. Looking like it's going to be a Mine Lab of some sort. I'll scope out the QED's once I'm there.

mbasko said:
There is a Minnesota/Wisconsin prospecting group on Facebook & other groups that reckon gold is found there? They might just be lucky or full of it?

Do you have a link to their page you could post?

mbasko said:
Still a lot of very relevant questions on that list for Australia as our conditions can vary considerably in different areas & states. Australia is a big country. A lot would depend where you plan to visit & what areas you plan to detect in.

The TV show seems to concentrate on WA and SA. My intention for now is to first find the right professional detector for detecting no matter where I go in the world. Then do a enough prospecting in the USA to get some practical experience. Once I learn the language and get a few relevant stories to share in order to qualify myself, I'll go in search of a professional group to work with that makes their living at detection mining.

mbasko said:
The GPX4500/5000 would likely be a good choice & one easily taken home with you + repairers/retailers in the USA.

For now, that is exactly where the compass seems to be pointing. From what I'm seeing, I can get a NEW GPX4500 complete with 11-inch DD Search Coil, 11-inch Monoloop Search Coil, Coil Covers, Koss Headphones, Detecting Harness, and Finds Bag for around $2900 USD/$3500 AUD.

Regarding my skeleton plan above: Depending on how the pieces fall into place, I'd like to do my first expedition in Colorado this summer doing both river sluicing and detecting. However, that may have to wait until next summer.

The issues I have with doing any business in the USA is all the red tape that plagues this country now. Between the federal, state, and local governments, permits, deals with land owners... By the time you find your first ounce, you're going to have to chop it in half to fill the pockets of politicians. Sadly, because of all the red tape and official expenses, it's encouraging more and more to resort to thievery, so now also add the expense of insuring and protecting your equipment and investments. By the time you put together your first ounce, you only MAYBE get to keep 30% of it. And God forbid you accidentally wander 1 foot onto a private land owners 10,000 acres, and he's out there with his machine gun and hand grenades itching to add a notch on the post of his slaughter house. Believe me, there are even more potential expenses and hazards that I won't get into lest I start to sound like a conspiracy theory nutter. :|

Any of that sound like Australia?

Be prepared to spend way more than 1/2 an ounce if planning to detect especially in the west.
While we don't have a habit of shooting tresspassers, you'll still need permits and permissions unless on vacant land as you can't just go where you please.
You'll need a miners right (minimal $25) but the big expense will be a suitable vehicle and safety gear etc. The west can be a nasty place to the ill prepared.

madtuna said:
Be prepared to spend way more than 1/2 an ounce if planning to detect especially in the west.
While we don't have a habit of shooting tresspassers, you'll still need permits and permissions unless on vacant land as you can't just go where you please.
You'll need a miners right (minimal $25) but the big expense will be a suitable vehicle and safety gear etc. The west can be a nasty place to the ill prepared.

Being a non-resident, my intention would be to gain the confidence of a professional troop in order to receive a legitimate invitation to share expenses, workload, and bounty. With ZERO experience, and no equipment at this point, I'm by NO MEANS ready to pursue that, but in time...

Plenty of red tape in Australia BP might be worth your while contacting state authorities as part of your research and learning while you wait to purchase your machine and learn it. At the end of the day bureaucrats will make life hard no matter where you live.

BetPlacer said:
madtuna said:

Being a non-resident, my intention would be to gain the confidence of a professional troop in order to receive a legitimate invitation to share expenses, workload, and bounty. With ZERO experience, and no equipment at this point, I'm by NO MEANS ready to pursue that, but in time...

Not saying that wont happen, but it's a big ask!
Good luck

madtuna said:
... it's a big ask!
Good luck

True that mate! Not sayin' I'm ready to hook up with a troop any time soon, but my intention is to fully engulf myself in the community, building associations with professionals for the sole purpose of finding GOLD GOLD GOLD. At my age and level of life experience, I know what I want and how to get it, even if I have to build it myself. For right now, all I have is honesty about my intentions, and in time, my work will be my credit.

Cheers and thanks for the well wishes.

Please take this as constructive criticism not a slight or dig.

It's great to have a goal and focus and chase your dream and succeed in obtaining it, but your wording raises a few red flags. Hopefully it's just the way you Yankadonians express yourself and I'm reading it wrong.

"Once I learn the language and get a few relevant stories to share in order to qualify myself" -Stories or experiances?

"....my intention would be to gain the confidence of a professional troop " -Tricksters and conmen gain the confidence. Prospectors gain the trust.

"....building associations with professionals for the sole purpose of finding GOLD GOLD GOLD" - First build friendships and trust, gold is just a part of the journey. If your sole purpose is to find gold, go it alone because things will turn sour without the trust.

" ....I know what I want and how to get it" -At what cost to others?

I hope it's just me, but the way that reads to me is you'll exploit any avenue no matter what to get your hands on some gold.
A wise bloke once told me - Never detect with someone more gold hungry than yourself.

Cheers!

madtuna said:

Constructive discussion is the linchpin of trust mate. Sussing it out is unique to me, not Americans. Americans ALL are thinking what what I'm spilling, but I spill it to get to the heart of the matter, leaving NO STONE (pun intended) unturned.

madtuna said:
It's great to have a goal and focus and chase your dream and succeed in obtaining it, but your wording raises a few red flags. Hopefully it's just the way you Yankadonians express yourself and I'm reading it wrong.

You're reading it right, but with the wrong impression. First off, I'm too old to be "chasing a dream". I just work, and get rewarded based solely on that work. Sadly, I've become a rarer breed in my ever growing entitled American Society.

madtuna said:
"Once I learn the language and get a few relevant stories to share in order to qualify myself" -Stories or experiances?

In my world, there is no story unless there is experience. If I'm telling a story, which at this point I've told none except about my own picking profession, It's because I have the experience. But I get the suspicion, and that's good. Tells me you're paying attention. I don't trust people that just give me their confidence. People that do just offer me their confidence, it just takes a little digging to get to either their ignorance, which becomes a teaching moment for me, or their sinister intentions.

madtuna said:
"....my intention would be to gain the confidence of a professional troop " -Tricksters and conmen gain the confidence. Prospectors gain the trust.

YEP! That is exactly the way tricksters proceed. But what "trickster" tells you his exact plan? Fact is, I'm simply defining how REAL relationships are ALSO actually formed. I've found when I put it on the table the way I do, it actually clears the air so we can just get down to business quicker. So on behalf of "gaining trust", I'm spelling it out. LOL! Americans hate it too. LOL! When I spell it out like that, they usually run because it exposes their intentions. It's my way of calling out peoples BS. And in my business as an urban prospector, 90% of folk are full of BS.

madtuna said:
"....building associations with professionals for the sole purpose of finding GOLD GOLD GOLD" - First build friendships and trust, gold is just a part of the journey. If your sole purpose is to find gold, go it alone because things will turn sour without the trust.

Oye mate! I have a wife of 17 years, 5 children, and a successful business. The few solid friendships I have built over the years are well tested, and will continue to be well tested. The more recent professional relationships I've developed in the past 15 years are the same. You want to talk mining Gold and where and how to find it, I'm yer man, with FULL DISCLOSURE that I'm a greenhorn at this point. My SOLE PURPOSE is to find gold. Been doing it as an urban prospector since 2004. Friendships built on trust will form around that common goal. That's just how life works. I didn't come here to learn life lessons or for therapy. I'm here to find gold. Along the way life lessons will be learned, and therapy through an understanding friend will be reciprocated. That's just how life works.

madtuna said:

Great question! I've found that most folks try to answer it with a lot of lip service.

madtuna said:
I hope it's just me, but the way that reads to me is you'll exploit any avenue no matter what to get your hands on some gold.

It's probably not just you. Yer just the one that seems to be willing to suss it out. Anyone else taking a second to read this thread is probably thinking the same things. And those that don't give a rip, I'll probably will never be in business with.

madtuna said:
A wise bloke once told me - Never detect with someone more gold hungry than yourself.

A wise bloke (My now deceased father) once told me when I was about 7 years old, "In the end, you won't be judged on how much gold you've accumulated, you'll be judged on how you treated people trying to accumulate it."

Same wise bloke also said, "Time to stop talkin', and time to start workin'!"

:Y: ?

madtuna said:

"....my intention would be to gain the confidence of a professional troop " - Tricksters and conmen gain the confidence. Prospectors gain the trust.

Cheers!
An excellent post. I read it the same way you do

Latest posts