The Best Gold Detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
One issue you might have with importing the QED into the US is it hasn't got FCC compliance.
https://www.fcc.gov/engineering-technology/laboratory-division/general/equipment-authorization
I do remember hearing or seeing something about Interfacion working towards getting it but then other info suggests they are happy to remain small? Chances are it may get through to you ok but then if they do check it you could lose it & your AUD$1850+?

I have considered these factors. I wonder how much flack I'd get if I decided to do some prospecting in Australia, and bought a QED there, then tried to fly it home. But then I'd suppose if it ever had any issues, replacement parts would be difficult to obtain, and I'd likely have to resort to bush fixes. On the flip side, I assume bringing my own to Australia wouldn't be an issue?

mbasko said:
Not to distract from this forum but you may be better asking your question here also: http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/ to get a more local answer to your question.

I've seen this forum, and at this point, I'm not inclined to discuss my thoughts with other Americans on these matters. No sinister reasons or anything, it's just that I tend to give up the honey holes, even of my own business. I've learned that I have this odd way of putting things that seems to give up the gold. I find a nice pick, suddenly 100 blokes show up and I go from 10x my money, to struggling to double it. :8

mbasko said:
Not sure of the ground conditions around Minnesota but the blokes on there could give you a better idea of what would be best there i.e. a $500 Gold Bug Pro might best suit your needs regardless of what money you had to spend.

Minnesota has no known gold. A little bit of rumors and hearsay over the last hundred years, but no tangible finds known to the public. Oddly, my state is known as the Land of 10,000 lakes specifically due to an ancient melted glacier. The center of the state is very flat with some foothills to the south east. Far north is very hilly by the Canadian boarder, and very iron rich. There a lot of mines up there in an area specifically known as "The Iron range" around Laker Superior. That said, I'm pretty sure there aren't any detectors that could tell the difference between the ore and gold if there were any.

mbasko said:
You may be better to draw up a list of requirements in a detector that would suit your area like:
1) Need to be waterproof or not
2) Small gold capability/large deep gold capability or combination of both
3) Lightweight or not important
4) Local after sales support/parts/accessories/training if important to you (some detectors are turn on & go - others may require some tuition depending on skill level)
5) Highly mineralised ground handling ability or ground not so harsh
6) Budget etc.

A thoughtful list indeed. I can tell that like me, you tend to take a more professional approach to things, so I appreciate you taking the time. But I am asking the question specifically regarding Aussie prospecting.

Cheers

old hand said:
Sorry mate I do not. I have been detecting for 37 years over that time I have used many detectors , I have been using a new 45 for the past few years and it does ever thing I need it to :Y:

Right on. It's a great feeling when you find the tool that fits. So is detecting a hobby, or do you feed the house with it?

I am retired and go out 2 or 3 times a week for a few hours depending on the weather it been to hot at the moment 34c to 45c the other day :)

BetPlacer said:
old hand said:
Between $3000 and $4000 you cannot go past a new gpx 4500 regards john :Y:

For now, this one seems to be the most popular. Do you know what the gal and the French guy team on the TV show use?
I think they use GPX 5000's.

BetPlacer said:
I have considered these factors. I wonder how much flack I'd get if I decided to do some prospecting in Australia, and bought a QED there, then tried to fly it home. But then I'd suppose if it ever had any issues, replacement parts would be difficult to obtain, and I'd likely have to resort to bush fixes. On the flip side, I assume bringing my own to Australia wouldn't be an issue?
If repairs or upgrades were required for the QED then it would need to be returned to Australia although if technically minded the manufacturer may be able to talk you through minor repairs?
Bringing your own into Australia won't be an issue. There is EMC compliance here (same as FCC) but all major brands like Minelab, Garrett, Whites, Fisher, Tesoro, Nokta/Makro are already used here so must comply. The QED is compliant to EMC regulations.

BetPlacer said:
Minnesota has no known gold. A little bit of rumors and hearsay over the last hundred years, but no tangible finds known to the public. Oddly, my state is known as the Land of 10,000 lakes specifically due to an ancient melted glacier. The center of the state is very flat with some foothills to the south east. Far north is very hilly by the Canadian boarder, and very iron rich. There a lot of mines up there in an area specifically known as "The Iron range" around Laker Superior. That said, I'm pretty sure there aren't any detectors that could tell the difference between the ore and gold if there were any.
There is a Minnesota/Wisconsin prospecting group on Facebook & other groups that reckon gold is found there? They might just be lucky or full of it? :lol:
Good detectors will balance the ore out & signal on metallic targets like gold. Australian goldfields are scattered with ironstone & Western Australia in particular is very iron mineralised. Minelab detectors work well here in all states.

BetPlacer said:
A thoughtful list indeed. I can tell that like me, you tend to take a more professional approach to things, so I appreciate you taking the time. But I am asking the question specifically regarding Aussie prospecting.

Still a lot of very relevant questions on that list for Australia as our conditions can vary considerably in different areas & states. Australia is a big country. A lot would depend where you plan to visit & what areas you plan to detect in. The GPX4500/5000 would likely be a good choice & one easily taken home with you + repairers/retailers in the USA.

BetPlacer said:
old hand said:

For now, this one seems to be the most popular. Do you know what the gal and the French guy team on the TV show use?
If it's the couple on Aussie Goldhunters he mostly uses a GPZ7000 & when on salt lakes a GPX. She uses a GPX all the time but not sure if they have 4500's or 5000's. I would assume GPX5000 but may be wrong.

mbasko said:
BetPlacer said:
old hand said:

If it's the couple on Aussie Goldhunters he mostly uses a GPZ7000 & when on salt lakes a GPX. She uses a GPX all the time but not sure if they have 4500's or 5000's. I would assume GPX5000 but may be wrong.
I recall when she had to head back to town to get it fixed they mentioned 5000, Henry predominantly uses 7000.

BetPlacer said:
I'm sure there will be plenty of, "If it's not Aussie, IT'S CRAP!" That said, I couldn't find much on QED. Anyone have any links on where to buy and how much?

There are many Top Gold finding machines from the US with a well proven history and the EU have made some hot machines too which all work well, The type and brand a person buys boils down to how committed they are to finding Gold and how often they are going to get out there, If a person is only going out there 2 weekends a year it is not worth spend 6 to 10K on a machine that is only going to gather dust for 360 days of the year.

A person can have just as much fun with a cheaper detector as they can with a more expensive one, Buying a high dollar machine does put a lot of pressure on a person to be successful even more so when they have over spent, Buying such a machine does not guarantee success because some of the guys here go out a lot and still come home with nothing, research is your best friend and going out there with some skilled members would be a bonus than trying to battle on on your own.

I am happy to find what ever, whether it's coins or Gold, A good time and good company are worth more than Gold.

J.

Maldon Gold Centre said:
BetPlacer said:
MineLab does indeed seem to be the preference outside of the QED Aussie brew.

Minelab has great marketing and make some good machines but there are plenty of other choices.

True, but for consistent gold finding as a hobbiest or for professional detectorists in the Australian gold fields there is Minelab and then daylight

i recon you could get a QED box Mailed via DHL without issue.... you really need to know what you are looking at .

I had a set of Upper control arms mailed mailed out of Oregon xmas eve or the day before, arrived the monday after. i recon less than a week...

Chewy said:
Unless it's a counterfeit. :| You have to be careful as there are always some about on ebay.

Buying used, even second hand always makes me woozy. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy new for my first detector. Once I get some experience I'll know what to look for in buying used.

mbasko said:
If repairs or upgrades were required for the QED then it would need to be returned to Australia although if technically minded the manufacturer may be able to talk you through minor repairs?
Bringing your own into Australia won't be an issue. There is EMC compliance here (same as FCC) but all major brands like Minelab, Garrett, Whites, Fisher, Tesoro, Nokta/Makro are already used here so must comply. The QED is compliant to EMC regulations.

When and if I come to Australia, I'll likely just bring my own. Looking like it's going to be a Mine Lab of some sort. I'll scope out the QED's once I'm there.

mbasko said:
There is a Minnesota/Wisconsin prospecting group on Facebook & other groups that reckon gold is found there? They might just be lucky or full of it?

Do you have a link to their page you could post?

mbasko said:
Still a lot of very relevant questions on that list for Australia as our conditions can vary considerably in different areas & states. Australia is a big country. A lot would depend where you plan to visit & what areas you plan to detect in.

The TV show seems to concentrate on WA and SA. My intention for now is to first find the right professional detector for detecting no matter where I go in the world. Then do a enough prospecting in the USA to get some practical experience. Once I learn the language and get a few relevant stories to share in order to qualify myself, I'll go in search of a professional group to work with that makes their living at detection mining.

mbasko said:
The GPX4500/5000 would likely be a good choice & one easily taken home with you + repairers/retailers in the USA.

For now, that is exactly where the compass seems to be pointing. From what I'm seeing, I can get a NEW GPX4500 complete with 11-inch DD Search Coil, 11-inch Monoloop Search Coil, Coil Covers, Koss Headphones, Detecting Harness, and Finds Bag for around $2900 USD/$3500 AUD.

Regarding my skeleton plan above: Depending on how the pieces fall into place, I'd like to do my first expedition in Colorado this summer doing both river sluicing and detecting. However, that may have to wait until next summer.

The issues I have with doing any business in the USA is all the red tape that plagues this country now. Between the federal, state, and local governments, permits, deals with land owners... By the time you find your first ounce, you're going to have to chop it in half to fill the pockets of politicians. Sadly, because of all the red tape and official expenses, it's encouraging more and more to resort to thievery, so now also add the expense of insuring and protecting your equipment and investments. By the time you put together your first ounce, you only MAYBE get to keep 30% of it. And God forbid you accidentally wander 1 foot onto a private land owners 10,000 acres, and he's out there with his machine gun and hand grenades itching to add a notch on the post of his slaughter house. Believe me, there are even more potential expenses and hazards that I won't get into lest I start to sound like a conspiracy theory nutter. :|

Any of that sound like Australia?

Latest posts