That's not a Knife

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its 1075 and I did harden before tempering. I went to non magnetic and right into conolia oil to quench. It was tempered at 210 degrees for 2 hours in a gas oven.

For a first knife I am pleased with it and I'm sure I will get alot better at it. Handle is now on and I will shape it when I get around to it. I used a two part epoxy resin for the handle.

1567083075_20190829_204931.jpg

1576473068_rps20191216_160428.jpg

Wife found this at an antique/junk shop and thought it looked interesting. I'm not much of a knife expert but it's definitely cool. Has anyone got any ideas on where it's from and how old it is? Looks kind of middle eastern to me and Google reckons it looks like a jambiya? All I know is that I'd hate to be on the wrong end of it in the hands of an angry Arab!

Thanks mate, looks like the one. Doubt if mine would be worth that much as it's in pretty rough condition, but that's how I like things. This one looks like it's been used which makes it much more valuable to me. Gotta wonder what stories it could tell and how it made it's way to Tassie.

7.62marksman said:
these are the last waiting to be refurbished

The first one looks like bayonet for a Kalashnikow (with wire cutter).
I have to see if I can still get them from a surplus store and bring one back.

Cheers

Michael

Dave79 said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/12713/1576473068_rps20191216_160428.jpg
Wife found this at an antique/junk shop and thought it looked interesting. I'm not much of a knife expert but it's definitely cool. Has anyone got any ideas on where it's from and how old it is? Looks kind of middle eastern to me and Google reckons it looks like a jambiya? All I know is that I'd hate to be on the wrong end of it in the hands of an angry Arab!
check post #372 mate its twins

What is the best not too expensive knife sharpening system. I saw somewhere that Lansky is a good one. Around $180 with a bench clamp. Seems a bit expensive.
I thinking of taking up doing a bit of knife making, thats why I'm asking.

Wishfull said:
What is the best not too expensive knife sharpening system. I saw somewhere that Lansky is a good one. Around $180 with a bench clamp. Seems a bit expensive.
I thinking of taking up doing a bit of knife making, thats why I'm asking.

Cheapest system would be a piece of flat plate glass and various grades of wet n dry...I would probably use a wet stone first to get it reasonable sharp, and then progress onto the medium and then finer grades of wet and dry..

If you do a search on YouTube there are a few videos showing how to sharpen either knives or chisels this way...

Thanks Pete E. Ive got a reasonable idea how to sharpen knives. Just wondering now if the stone Lansky system would last a reasonable amount of time for the price at around $85.00 as opposed to their diamond system which is $100 more expensive which would last way longer I guess. Or is there a better system ?

Wishfull said:
Thanks Pete E. Ive got a reasonable idea how to sharpen knives. Just wondering now if the stone Lansky system would last a reasonable amount of time for the price at around $85.00 as opposed to their diamond system which is $100 more expensive which would last way longer I guess. Or is there a better system ?

I can only speak as a casual user of the Lansky system...I started with the basic version and then upgraded to the diamond hones as they came up on sale.

I wouldnt know if the diamond hones last longer but I think they cut quicker and seem to give me an edge quicker....the other thing I like about the Lansky is that it's compleley modular so you can replace or upgrade bits as required..

A medium and fine double sided wet stone and a good steel wishfull,

Best steel is a old rats tail file ,grind and polish smooth(have a bucket with water to keep it cool) then put it in iodine for awhile then take it out give it a acid wash and good wash with water and it is good to go ,the one i made about 30 years ago is still good
The iodine puts small rust pits in the steel that makes them work

1588630504_thumbnail_1.jpg

I have used a diamond steel,i found they gave you a edge quicker, but it seemed to me that the edge did not last as long as with the home made one,or it is just biased towards the go to steel

Latest posts