That's not a Knife

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some thieving bloody arse hole lifted my Bowie from my truck here one night...one of the only times ever that I forgot to lock me truck!
So...I bought this one ...it's Gerber brand.
1599476282_gerber_bowie.jpg
...got word from Aus post it will be here tomorrow...so they say.

P
numpty said:
this was my digger :rolleyes: (protector) until i found out im not allowed to carry it, so it sits in the shed now. peace of mind for me as most of my hunting was at night. i only pulled it out once on a night hunt.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5599/1594605257_img_20181118_151004.jpg

What a shame how the law treats knives now.

When I was a kid on the farm from 7 years old or so we would all carry a sheath knife on our hip and sometimes with two knives in it , one curved 5 inch blade for skinning and a straight boning knife or a Bowie. We wouldnt even take them off when we walked to the local shops to buy ammo.

Back then the local milk bar sold milk , bread and ammo for anything.

These days you got to even have a license for an air rifle :zzz:

Yeah mate ...can't wait to get my hands on it!...so bloody pissed off with myself over the Winchester...I loved that knife.Was gonna get a replacement but the warrawong store had no stock...so...I was gonna go up to sydney store...then Isaw this one one for 36bucks!...I'll put a blade on it and just see how it holds it's edge...well worth it if it does...comes with a canvass pouch :awful: ...so I might see if there's someone around who can do a you-beaut leather one :cool:

Crevice sucker...My understanding of the law is that you can't carry any sort of 'switch-blade' or shiev..but that a 'fixed blade' is legal if not concealed..ie when hunting fishing outdoors recreation etc......am I wrong?

OH OK! Ken...I wonder who...who wrote the book of loo...ve...haha :playful: Sorry mate can't help me'self sometimes! :p

Just did a search...sandbagger's looks wonderful!...probably couldn't afford it!'

Yeah...Nah...would have to detail to him the size and that...Igot a lot of my old man's leather working tools getting the leather can be a hassle as they want you to buy it by the metre mostly...dunno at the moment...might wait till I get it to see what the sheath is like...it might be alright. :cool:

CreviceSucker said:
P
numpty said:
this was my digger :rolleyes: (protector) until i found out im not allowed to carry it, so it sits in the shed now. peace of mind for me as most of my hunting was at night. i only pulled it out once on a night hunt.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5599/1594605257_img_20181118_151004.jpg

What a shame how the law treats knives now.

When I was a kid on the farm from 7 years old or so we would all carry a sheath knife on our hip and sometimes with two knives in it , one curved 5 inch blade for skinning and a straight boning knife or a Bowie. We wouldnt even take them off when we walked to the local shops to buy ammo.

Back then the local milk bar sold milk , bread and ammo for anything.

These days you got to even have a license for an air rifle :zzz:
Will need a license soon to use a bloody chainsaw :lol:

Well, I got the knife today...I wrongly referred to it as a 'Gerber'...it's not...Its from the Columbia knife Company who have headquarters in Oregon USA.
While not quite as imposing as the Winchester Bowie...this knife has a presence all of it's own. I really like the Pewter Scroll work and the timber in the handle. It feels really well balanced in the hand and some of the forums I checked out suggest that they hold an edge exceptionally well...we'll see over time whether that's the case. :cool: I think I can live with the nylon type sheath! :argh: although it's certainly not custom made for this model knife...it's held reasonably well within the sheath but there is room there for a significantly wider bladed model... :/ otherwise...it's a good bush knife.
1599636626_columbia_blade.jpg
1599636645_columbia_in_scabbard.jpg

Been reading the posts and enjoyed seeing all the members posts, some nice looking blades and some very interesting ones too.
Im curious about the Gerber Winchester Double Barrel Bowie, seems its a very popular knife with the members .
Just wonder why that is and what makes it such a good knife ..

Wishfull said:
What is the best not too expensive knife sharpening system. I saw somewhere that Lansky is a good one. Around $180 with a bench clamp. Seems a bit expensive.
I thinking of taking up doing a bit of knife making, thats why I'm asking.

Did you tackle the knife making Wishfull?
I too have developed an interest but didn't want to go the whole hog of setting up a furnace at least to start with, to do all the heat treating work. So I am playing with making a small (3.5" blade) knife from an old file, as it is already hardened, and using this process a home oven is all that is needed to temper the knife. I have modified a YouTube vid process as the basis for the work.

1602383426_knifeprogress.jpg

The blade has been tempered at 400degC (light straw colour) and is razor-sharp. As this is an experimental project I am just going to use some bits of well-cured Red Gum as the handle scales but would like to use Micarta in the future. I have yet to decide what to use for pins on the handle.

Rob P.

nucopia said:
Been reading the posts and enjoyed seeing all the members posts, some nice looking blades and some very interesting ones too.
Im curious about the Gerber Winchester Double Barrel Bowie, seems its a very popular knife with the members .
Just wonder why that is and what makes it such a good knife ..
Ok far enough..
here is another question.. whats the best way to sharpen a knife blade ?
Wet stone, bench grinder belt sander.
How do members keep their blades sharp ?

Latest posts