That's not a Knife

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made this little slicer today. Believe it or not, I found this 4 blade end at my local beach.... detected it about 5 inches down with my SPP. It is top quality steel that was probably broken off of a filleting knife by some beach fisherman (idiot) who couldnt be stuffed and left it behind for some poor bugger to step on.
Anyway its repurposed now.. sharp as too. Handle made from some SE Asian hardwood I had laying around.
1519115420_3ae7cd99-f007-485d-ad8d-e4c67590598f.jpg
1519115476_a02f81e5-dada-4be9-a3e5-4c429a5f6643.jpg

Have had these two for a few years, both found while detecting though a couple of years apart. Both made by I.Wilson of Sheffield England.

The knife is "sheer Steel" which is basically the same process of folding steel as per the old Japanese method. The proof marks on the blade date it from 1856 to 1860.
When I picked it up (it was a surface find) I could literally shave the hairs off my arm which I thought wasn't bad for an old blade sitting on the ground for probably well over 100 years. It would easily be the sharpest knife I own and hold the best edge and for the longest.

The cleaver dates from 1890 to 1900.

While I use both regularly as they are, when I get time I'll get around to building handles for them.

7oamBLx.jpg

Yep agree with you there DD, all my boards are camphor-laurel or bamboo. Both naturally anti bacterial woods, just gotta give them an oil every year.

Love your work there Ozzie, looks like itl make a nice boning knife now. Haven't spent time remaking a knife handle since I was a teenager, good fun though.

Love that old style cleaver Madtuna, looks like it wouldve seen a few bones in its day :lol:

The Green Wanderer said:
Yep agree with you there DD, all my boards are camphor-laurel or bamboo. Both naturally anti bacterial woods, just gotta give them an oil every year.

Love your work there Ozzie, looks like itl make a nice boning knife now. Haven't spent time remaking a knife handle since I was a teenager, good fun though.

Love that old style cleaver Madtuna, looks like it wouldve seen a few bones in its day :lol:
Yeah GW, luv mucking around in the shed with a bit of wood and metal and seeing what turns out.
Heres a digging / recovery tool I made from a old frying pan handle and a blade from a set of pruning shears.
1519192328_d10f7570-d46d-4c36-95be-6f1b432b2eec.jpg

OzzieAu said:
The Green Wanderer said:

Yeah GW, luv mucking around in the shed with a bit of wood and metal and seeing what turns out.
Heres a digging / recovery tool I made from a old frying pan handle and a blade from a set of pruning shears.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4086/1519192328_d10f7570-d46d-4c36-95be-6f1b432b2eec.jpg

Clever re-use of an item, well done, looks great. :)

madtuna said:
Have had these two for a few years, both found while detecting though a couple of years apart. Both made by I.Wilson of Sheffield England.

The knife is "sheer Steel" which is basically the same process of folding steel as per the old Japanese method. The proof marks on the blade date it from 1856 to 1860.
When I picked it up (it was a surface find) I could literally shave the hairs off my arm which I thought wasn't bad for an old blade sitting on the ground for probably well over 100 years. It would easily be the sharpest knife I own and hold the best edge and for the longest.

The cleaver dates from 1890 to 1900.

While I use both regularly as they are, when I get time I'll get around to building handles for them.

https://i.imgur.com/7oamBLx.jpg
Hey watch you don't lop your bare tooties off with those blades...
would be hard to find them all bloody in that red dirt mt. :eek: :eek:

Patrick1 said:

The knife is an Ontario RD7 Ranger.
I bought it from ebay, although when I looked to see if they were still available I couldn't find any.
https://www.ebay.com.au/usr/outfittercountry I have bought 5 or 6 items from this seller and have not been disappointed yet.

ONTARIO USA 8692 RAT 7 would be my next choice.

hope this helps,
steve

Went to lunch in a flash Chinese restaurant in Sydney yesterday for my birthday. One of my sisters is a big solicitor to whom money is no problem, and she gave me a very nice Kurosaki Shizuku Gyoto (hand made Japanese knife) as a present.

In the pic, my wife has put the alarmed looking cat in to make a joke about Chinese restaurants and cats (my great grandmother would never eat Chinese because she was convinced that they used cat meat). That's my old mum in the pic, who is in good nick for 81. I'm drinking a Bloody Mary, a necessary cure after a reasonably big night on Saturday.

1520817062_knife.jpg

Here is some more detail about the knife. As they say, it is scary sharp!

https://www.chefsarmoury.com/products/kurosaki-shizuku-240mm-gyuto

DrDuck said:
Went to lunch in a flash Chinese restaurant in Sydney yesterday for my birthday. One of my sisters is a big solicitor to whom money is no problem, and she gave me a very nice Kurosaki Shizuku Gyoto (hand made Japanese knife) as a present.

In the pic, my wife has put the alarmed looking cat in to make a joke about Chinese restaurants and cats (my great grandmother would never eat Chinese because she was convinced that they used cat meat). That's my old mum in the pic, who is in good nick for 81. I'm drinking a Bloody Mary, a necessary cure after a reasonably big night on Saturday.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/158/1520817062_knife.jpg

Here is some more detail about the knife. As they say, it is scary sharp!

https://www.chefsarmoury.com/products/kurosaki-shizuku-240mm-gyuto

Ahhh .... So many cats, so few recipes

Have a machete and a knife I made years ago using car leaf springs, from memory I think it was the Crocodile Dundee movie that inspired the project.... "You call that a knife.............."

Made back in 1982, could shave with this once it was honed. Glued two of my early finds, a penny to end of handle and a threepence to the hilt, handle made from sandlewood with brass inserts (hadn't found any gold to use.). :(

1552782005_knife.jpg

Latest posts