That's not a Knife

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read an article on the ABC news site about a young 14 year old girl, Leila and her father Karim Haddad whom hand make knives for customers however they also have hands on teaching for those that want to make their own knife.
Tharwa Valley Forge, near Canberra ,looks very interesting. some knives valued at $4,000.
Mackka

There used to be a guy up ere in Cairns that did the same. We were very keen on our 16 year old to make one of his own for his birthday, but the business must have shut?? :-(

Simmo said:
There used to be a guy up ere in Cairns that did the same. We were very keen on our 16 year old to make one of his own for his birthday, but the business must have shut?? :-(

The bloke I mentioned earlier, Dylan Jones of Cape York Blades, used to live in Cairns and had a small knife making business. He still runs day long knife making coarse. I think he only came up with the name "Cape York Blades" after moving North.

Mackka said:
Just read an article on the ABC news site about a young 14 year old girl, Leila and her father Karim Haddad whom hand make knives for customers however they also have hands on teaching for those that want to make their own knife.
Tharwa Valley Forge, near Canberra ,looks very interesting. some knives valued at $4,000.
Mackka

Saw this on TV Mackka.
Incredible that a modern 14 yo girl is blacksmithing.
Very talented too I thought.
Apparently it is a family tradition.

Yes Chiron apparently the father Karim served his apprenticeship under a Master some 25 years ago. She has been making knives with him since she was 8.
A truly inspirational story.
Mackka

Just got my kitchen knives organised out of a drawer (very bad for the edges) and on to a magnetic rack...

1518949641_knives.jpg

Very nice set,
Glad to hear youve got them out of the kitchen drawer DD! ]:D theyll stay nice and sharp now.
Yep those chinese knives are a dangerous creature, worst knife injury ive had was caused by one.

Interestingly, the knife second from the left is also VG-10 steel, like Simmo's beautiful Japanese knife above. It came from IKEA. I read a review of it suggesting they were OK and bought one just to see, because for $50 it was a bargain.

Knife is very well balanced, and shaved my arm out of the package. Edge was a little less than perfect though. A few passes on the ceramic steel helped.

I'll see how it goes in the longer term, and after I have put a good edge on it.

Nothing better to use in the kitchen than good quality, sharp knives. I have two cleavers, one I use on carcasses and bones and the other for just general chopping.
Just as a matter of interest I only ever use wooden boards, what do you use?

I have a plastic board, and two wooden ones.

Wood is superior in every respect. A lot of people dont know that wood tannins and other components have a strong anti-bacterial effect, and consequently wooden chopping boards are far more hygienic than plastic.

Remember in the olden days butcher shop floors were strewn with sawdust?

The top one is a Victorinox i picked up at an OP shop a while back. You never know when you might need to skin something lol

DrDuck said:
I have a plastic board, and two wooden ones.

Wood is superior in every respect. A lot of people dont know that wood tannins and other components have a strong anti-bacterial effect, and consequently wooden chopping boards are far more hygienic than plastic.

Remember in the olden days butcher shop floors were strewn with sawdust?

Agreed, I started my working life as a butcher with wooden chopping blocks, saw dust and wooden handled knives. Half way through my apprenticeshit they made us swap to plastic handles and plastic chopping boards and banned the sawdust.

A squillion test with bacteria counts have proved time and time again that wood was far superior.

Another thing, when a bit of meat or fat fell off the bench on to the saw dust floor it went into the waste.
After the saw dust ban, if a bit of meat or fat fell off the bench it went into the mince tub. This includes meat that was trodden on and was picked out of the tread of thier boots. I witnessed that too many times to count.

1519115090_3b054554-a6f2-4534-bf45-bbdb3ee6ff18.jpg

Great thread 7.62 thought Id share a couple of mine biggest one I brought when I was 18 now43 still keep it tucked away dont know if its worth much but to me its cool. Excalibur hangs out in the draws in the back of my Ute.puma kicks around on my dash board :Y: another thread might be a good one would be guns :) :)
Some nice knives out there :Y:

Latest posts