telescope

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
the wif gave me the money to buy my first telescope today and have been all day setting it up. I will give it its first run tonight if all these bloody clouds clear, Right now its like getting a new boat but there is 50 knot winds on the water.

Nice :D

What kind of scope? Size?

I've got a 10 inch NewtonIan on a Dobsonian mount from Bintel. I love it, but haven't used it in a while, and it's been even longer since I've taken it to any real dark sky site :( Wish I had a different mount for my scope though as I'd love to try my hand at some astrophotography.

haha you beat me to it PotofGold, 10 inch is a good telescope to look at galaxies and nebula. I would love to get a 16inch with a observatory but need the $$$ maybe one day when i find a huge nugget i can go and buy one :)

SC75 said:
haha you beat me to it PotofGold, 10 inch is a good telescope to look at galaxies and nebula. I would love to get a 16inch with a observatory but need the $$$ maybe one day when i find a huge nugget i can go and buy one :)

Yeah that's what I was after. I wanted to get as big an aperture as possible for the dollars I had to spend...hence why I ended up with a dobsonian mount. But yeah its great for looking at those faint fuzzies.

A 16 and an observatory would be...just fantastic. I was just looking at those observatories the other day actually...I can dream haha. Biggest scope I've looked through was a 24inch (I think) up at Border Stargazer a few years ago...that was something else. Also got to see a talk by, and sit down and ate dinner with John Sarkissian. He is the guy who located the original lost nasa moon landing tapes. That was pretty cool :)

PotOfGold said:
Nice :D

What kind of scope? Size?

I've got a 10 inch NewtonIan on a Dobsonian mount from Bintel. I love it, but haven't used it in a while, and it's been even longer since I've taken it to any real dark sky site :( Wish I had a different mount for my scope though as I'd love to try my hand at some astrophotography.
a got a 76/700 national geographic .dont know if its ok or not till it gets a bit darker

Check out the following link in regards to the scope you've got Fred: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=37639

Tis an old thread (2008) but seems like they're talking about the same scope...even though it's called "Optus something or other" in the link. I would imagine it would be much the same though. All I will say is don't be discouraged if its not all what you thought it was cracked up to be. It's probably fine for dipping your toe in, but don't expect too much from that scope.

Anyways hope the clouds clear out for you .

Enjoy! :)

PotOfGold said:
Check out the following link in regards to the scope you've got Fred: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=37639

Tis an old thread (2008) but seems like they're talking about the same scope...even though it's called "Optus something or other" in the link. I would imagine it would be much the same though. All I will say is don't be discouraged if its not all what you thought it was cracked up to be. It's probably fine for dipping your toe in, but don't expect too much from that scope.

got different eye pieces than u add .national geo not optus

There was a competition on Australian SKY & Telescope a couple of years back and the winner wins a backyard observatory. I was pissed i didn't win it but a guy from Caroline Springs did and being a suburb of Melbourne there would of been a lot of light pollution. You can't beat the country for stargazing.

Old Fred said:
PotOfGold said:

got different eye pieces than u add .national geo not optus

Can slap whatever name you want on there, still the same basic scope though. Eyepieces will only help so much. As I said, just don't expect too much from that scope or you may be disappointed...and we certainly don't want you to lose interest because of that (as often happens when people buy cheap scopes).

Good luck :)

fair enough.looking at some good stuff now tho / Looking forward to getting it up the cape with its dark skies. Something to do at camp after tucker time while having a scotch or two .

I have several scopes and some nice eyepieces. 5" refactor , aldi scope, 12" dob & 16" dob. the Aldi goes with me just to be able to see the moon & some planets when driving around the country. The 16 goes to star parties. the 12 mostly used in the back yard as either occupies a heap of room in the car. the 5 is unused,, it will have to go.

Get an app Sky safari or skyeye or stellarium free versions. there is heaps to learn, amazing apps. Stelleruim has a desktop too.
Enjoy what you have. If it is interesting and you want another step, iceinspace forsale items is a good way to go.

Latest posts