Sunny Corner NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm looking at sunny corner for a bit of high banking went for a drive out there but didn't quite find a location, does anybody here have any info on the area they can share ?

A lot of sunny corner is under state forest and I don't think you are allowed to highbank in state forest,I could be wrong....
Cheers GR.....

There is still some gold to be had on the Mitchell creek and another creek called deep creek
Cheers Dave.....

Thanks Dave, will I be able to get there in a 2wd hilux? Think I'll head up there in the next few weeks to check it out, hopefully I get me some shiny stuff. Cheers

Yer no problem all the tracks and fire trails are keep in good order....

Drive up the great western hwy towards Bathurst take the kirkconnell turn off on to sunny corner rd dive for about 5klms you will see the state forest on the left there is a few tracks that lead down to the Mitchell creek,,,you will need a permit to fossick in the state forest you can get one online just go to the state forest web site.....
Cheers GR.......

Hi Diggin

Have a look at the Google Earth thread here on Prospecting Aust have Google Ert installed and down load the file it will show you all the registered gold mines in NSW with their approximate location on a Google Earth Map. The thread is:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11
It shows the Mitchells Creek and Mitchells Ck mines near Sunny Corner, you turn to the left in the state forest and follow to the creek. Make sure you have a State Forest Permit before entering the State Forest. Contact the Bathurst Forestry branch and they will help you out no problems (try and get a statewide permit if they will issue to you). Most of the surrounding creeks in the area show some colour. I have been meaning to explore Dark Corner for awhile the surrounding area is worth some investigating.
On a bit of a down side I did hear that some people dredged part of the creek a little while ago so test pan before you start.
I hope this helps.

Hey guys I got my permit sorted and made a day trip to sunny corner checked out a few of the creeks ( daylight , bobs creek and I think it was Mitchell creek) was a lot of water flow and they all looked very interesting but only managed to pan about 3 tiny specs from bobs creek, lead in daylight creek and checked out a few old mine sites, has any one found decent amount of gold in these creeks or would I be better of heading further west?

Hey Digging I go there quite often and get continually good color from Mitchell's creek. Look for large cobble beds and sample down to bedrock. Also try crevices that are up the bank a little as the creek gets quite high there. The crevices in the creek seem to have all been dredged. Good luck and happy panning

hi all
just wanted to know if anyone has found gold at sunny corner around in the pine forest?

If they have they may not wish to tell you. I've always driven past Napoleon Reef and wondered what's out that way, Sunny Corner same thing. Been told there's Gold and Gems out there by mum who has a friend with property out that way....but hey i've been told a lot of stories that I cant validate. If you find any interesting spots let us know so more of us can go out for a prod around. The main issue is always private access!!! Not too many spots sitting there on Crown land that haven't been slammed, would love to know as well.

i am going up next weekend will let you know if i have any luck, thanks for responding.

Good luck Simon, I have not been to the area nor heard many stories but it is on my bucket list.

Hope you get onto the gold.

A lot of Gold was found at Sunny Corner, was mostly Reef Gold and Sulphide Ores from the big mines there. Alluvial Gold was won from a lot of the creeks in the area. I've been there quite a few times and have come home empty handed every time. Though I'm slowly working out the places not to detect there.

Still heard many stories of gold coming out of the area.

Latest posts