Stupid Question - Can I use a normal sieve to find gems?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have recently come across gem sieving, and I have a few locations in mind to try it out, but I don't have a gem sieve! Could I use a normal kitchen sieve to find gems, or does it not work because of the sieve's shape?
Thanks,
ManfiCat

Kitchen sieves are designed for aerating flour and draining wet ingredients. Flour is a powder, so a kitchen sieve would be way too fine for use in separating gemstones from sand, dirt and small pebbles. A garden sieve, such as you'll find at Bunnings, would be a good way to get started.

I have recently come across gem sieving, and I have a few locations in mind to try it out, but I don't have a gem sieve! Could I use a normal kitchen sieve to find gems, or does it not work because of the sieve's shape?
Thanks,
ManfiCat
you need one of these, from a detector shop, Garrett panning sieve, you need sieves with flat bottoms so as when you tip the sieve upside down to check the stones the heavy gem stones are at the bottom of the layer and end up on top of the layer when tipped over.

this single one has the 1/8" screen and about $42

1695174398763.png

or a whole Garrett panning kit which has the 1/8" screen in the kit seems to be about $110

1695174455261.png

cheers dave

https://highbanker.com.au/products/gold-sieve-set-1-4-inch-and-1-8-mesh?if you are mainly gem stone hunting grab a set of these guys
if you decide to buy a willoughby they will fit perfectly
with the sieving there is a knack in doing it but it is not hard ,and you will end up with all the gemstones in a line in the bottom of the sieve flip the sieve upside down on a hessian bag and pick up the gemstones

Latest posts