My Finds From The Holidays + Help With Cabbing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Over the holidays, I went to Sailor's Creek, Moonlight Head and the quarry at Mt Shadwell. I found a small handful of garnets and zircons, nothing big enough to facet, and got a Woolies shopping bag full of olivine at the quarry. I am in the process of opening my olivine to look for gems big enough to use, and started to wonder if I can perhaps cab them? I found a few chunks that aren't all that crumbly, but I think if I tried to cab them, there is a good chance that they will fall apart. Do any of you have any experience cabbing or shaping olivine?
Also, I found some nice agates at Moonlight Head, and have sanded them. They look quite nice! There is a photo of one below. I have only ever cabbed agate and wondered which other rocks work well, and where in Victoria I would find these rocks. Any help is appreciated! 😃
One more thing, I have heard about zircons in lake Bullen Merri near mount Shadwell. It's quite a large lake, and I don't know where people find these zircons. I pass this area often and it would be perfect if I could grab some zircons whenever I pass through the area.
Thanks again!
agate.jpggarnet.jpgolivine.jpg

Thanks mate, alright, the eastern shore. I'll be sure to go there. It seems more lesser known, so hopefully they are relatively plentiful. I'll send an update of what I find. :)
Yep, but please note that the excerpt from the geological report in the pics above says, "a limited section of the Eastern Shore", so you may need to carry a small shovel and a gold pan to test samples as you walk, to narrow down the precise area.

Latest posts