Beginner prospecting tips/ideas (NSW)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals

I was looking for ideas for fossicking around Sydney or NSW across the easter weekend with my girlfriend, we often go hiking and collect interesting looking rocks, obsidian and other basic things. I tried searching/looking through sticky posts on various sections of the site but it all seems very advanced and i dont know alot of the lingo, sorry if this question has been answered many times.

I was wondering if there are any areas or tracks where you can search for anything interesting, we regularly drive a few hours into the blue mountains so we dont really mind a bit of a trip. We really dont have any expectations and are happy to try and find anything from minerals, gold or gems to a cool looking rock/stick. About the only thing i would favour would be a place to potentially find thunder eggs as they look pretty interesting.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest you make a start by checking out the rules and regulations applicable to fossicking in NSW, in this thread:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ecting-regulations-all-australian-states.125/
After that, the quickest way to start finding possible locations to visit is to use the PA Search function at the top right corner of each forum page. Enter the name of a potential location, click the Search button and look through the resultant list of posts where that place is mentioned on this site. Soon enough you'll no doubt come across places of interest for your next trips away. Likewise, search for "thunder eggs" and see what you can find.

Best of luck with your adventures and please don't forget to let us know how you get on.

Latest posts