Streams/Creeks/Rivers Legal or not any one know? (VICTORIA)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if anyone knows, are all creeks and rivers government owned and are they all detectable and pannable, other than those stated in the exempt rivers and streams list of coarse, or can part of a major or semi minor-major creek-river be owned privately, and im saying other than the heritage listed and registered spots.

When im on Geovic for example i click "watercourses and lakes" & also "crown land" but they dont overlay so i dont know what streams, rivers if any i can legally pan in so iv never even bothered to attempt to pan, sluice, high bank ect any help would be great.

Thanks, OPM :)

Good question bud, pritty much, if its on the list, its on the list.
if not, fair game.
there is also only 3 waterways that are privately owned, eg. little Stevenson river, as they diverted part of the river on private land to feed the trout farm in Buxton.
I can't remember the other 2 off the top of my head, but there not in known gold areas anyway.
Hope this helps you out

Check list
  • Research area[/*]
  • Access, Is the area private or public ( National park or State forest etc )[/*]
  • Restricted, heratige or no go area. ( refer back to research)[/*]
  • On the exempt list or not ?[/*]
If in doubt don't go !

If anyone would like to add to this quick list :D :D

Learn, learn, learn and always ask. Some really helpfull and knowledgeable members here. Such as XIV, LOL there is too many to name
Checkout some of the previous posts here on PA.
Hope you enjoy your new hobby ! :Y:

List of exempted rivers and streams, they could have just said you are not allowed to pan in any river or tributary in Victoria, all of the good gold bearing creeks (that I know of) etc are on the list! :(

Hey Russ
If it ain't on the list I figure it's fair game, including tributaries !!!!

I'd like to know if some of the more seasoned prospectors see it otherwise???

Cheers
Bazz

Bazz said:
Hey Russ

Cheers
Bazz

I keep a PDF of the list on my phone, just so I don't get into trouble in the bush.
If it isn't on the list, its fair game. Plain and simple

A little useless info.... for around 6 weeks in December / January 2015 or 2016 the Goulburn River had dropped off the list and i couldn't believe my eyes and downloaded it to my phone in case i needed it ;) ;) ;)

However like all things that seem too good to be true it was! :( and it was back on the list in February. I'm thinking now that the brief omission of the Goulburn just might have coincided with the time the new reduced Miners Right fees were announced and the Earth Resources web pages might have been in the process of being reworked.

Bazz said:
Hey Russ

Cheers
Bazz

One thing prospectors need to be aware of, say for example you are within the Alpine National Park near a gold bearing River that is on the list.
You are wrong to assume that the tributaries of that River you are allowed to prospect in as the No Prospecting Rule for the Alpine National Park
overrides that ruling.

Hope that clears it up! :Y:

Latest posts