Can you legally go panning in Warrandyte State Park Victoria.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Recently moved to Melbourne from the UK and just got myself a pan. Have wanted to do some gold prospecting for years so it's great to finally get the chance.

I have a question regarding panning in Andersons Creek near Warrandyte. I have seen older threads discussing it however i am not sure if this is still allowed?

On the exempted rivers and streams list it states:

"Yarra River and tributaries above its junction with the Plenty River."

Any help would be appreciated! And thanks for everyones input, it has been a great help reading the other threads.

Thanks all.

pretty sure it falls into 'above tributaries' and would be a no,but get a local or the department to confirm.

i'm just basing on looking it up on the map.

Prospecting is permitted in the bed of Andersons Creek which is located off Gold Memorial Rd.
Only non-mechanical hand tools are permitted, excavations must be backfilled and vegetation must not be disturbed.
https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/a...ark-note-Warrandyte-SP-Gold-Heritage-Walk.pdf

Park management plans over-ride the exempted list once gazetted.

This means that the bits of Andersons Creek outside the park boundaries are no-go, but panning in the creek inside the park is fine.

Excellent. Thanks for your help. I'll check it out today after work. Not sure if there will be any water in there but its worth a look.

Thanks again.

Went to the creek and tried some panning for about an hour. Didnt find anything but theres a fair amount of water.

I planned to stay longer but i heard a noise behind me, turned around and there was snake slithering towards me. Naturally i s**t myself, grabbed my bag and ran off. Leaving a couple of tools behind. I debated going back to get them, but i dont know what snake it was, and the value of the tools is only about 20 dollars.

Any advice on this? Anything i need to keep my eye out for?

I tried to upload some photos of the creek but it hasnt let me. I'll try again later.

AM1990 said:
i heard a noise behind me, turned around and there was snake slithering towards me. Naturally i s**t myself, grabbed my bag and ran off. Leaving a couple of tools behind. I debated going back to get them, but i dont know what snake it was, and the value of the tools is only about 20 dollars.

Any advice on this? Anything i need to keep my eye out for?

Plenty!

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEeq5qGh8I[/video]

We have many types of snakes in Australia. Most of the ones youll find in Victoria are venomous. My rough guide to common snakes, sorted by colour:

Black: Black snakes are typically shy and rarely bite unless picked up or patted or cornered. Theyll mostly slither past or disappear quickly if they see a person.

Brown/tan: Eastern Brown snakes and Tiger snakes can be territorial. If one raises its head, back away and leave it well alone. If it moves away, it was probably just passing through. Ive only seen a few copperheads, but found them more docile than the tigers and less shy than black snakes.

Snakes often hang around and hunt around water, and are adept swimmers.

Next time you meet a snake, maybe dont run away. Put a safe distance between you and it and observe what its doing and how it behaves.

Most likely a Tiger in that area. They are an aggressive bugger.
The area that you can pan on Andersons Creek is signposted in the car park off Gold Memorial Rd.
100m or so downstream is the memorial to first gold found in Victoria, but many gold towns claim that.

Thanks for the advice. It was definitely coming towards me with its head raised. I ran no more than 5 meters before turning around and looking back at the tools (small trowel and a crevicing tool i made, no bulldozers). I'll go back tomorrow and collect them. I couldnt see the snake, i probably scared it.

From your descriptions, i think it was a tiger snake.

Might have to invest in some wellies.

As a general question, how often do you guys come across snakes whilst panning?

Thanks again.

Hi Big Wave. I wasnt far from the memorial. And yeah i think it was a tiger. It wasnt massive but its the first snake ive seen, so gave me a heart attack.

Just put on some gaiters. They're generally after a few frogs.
If you stop and don't move, they'll carry on as they are sighted for movement and have very short memories (only a little longer than a gold fish - I hear).
I've seen quite a a few around Warrandyte (even at my house - I live there), but generally near or in water.
Browns generally go for a drier area (also like my house).
Interestingly (I think), I've been detecting in the GT bush for around 6 years (all terrains), and have not seen a single snake out there, and don't think my detecting mates have as well.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try and grab some gaiters tomorrow before going back to fetch the tools.

Do they hibernate in winter?

AM1990 said:
Thanks for the advice. I'll try and grab some gaiters tomorrow before going back to fetch the tools.

Do they hibernate in winter?

Contrary to common misconceptions, snakes in Australia don't hibernate. They just slow down.

However you're less likely to see one during the colder months because they don't move around a lot.

It's quite possible to see a snake in the bush basking in the sun on a sunny winter day.

Where's that video of that guy detecting,then it rewinds and points out the huge snake in the grass.

least you got your hearing check for the day.

Yeah i knew i was hearing something moving, just couldnt see it until it was right behind me.

Hasn't deterred me though. I cant wait to get back there tomorrow.

That is insane.

I'm embarressed to say I had a more extreme reaction to what was a baby compared to that.

Brave man!

Latest posts