Can you legally go panning in Warrandyte State Park Victoria.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1519120965_20180217_102202_resized_1.jpg

1519120992_20180217_102207_resized_1.jpg

1519121012_20180217_102210_resized_1.jpg

1519121034_20180217_183728_resized_1.jpg

Looking at the amount of gold, it really isnt a lot. It felt like a lot more at the time haha as a newbie its a great feeling seeing 3 small pieces in the pan though.

I used to love that area back in the day! Good stuff on getting some colour!
The crevices look great in one of your photos, make sure you clean 'em right out, 'cos the yello stuff will be right at the bottom.
Also, think about digging this area up..... not into the bank, but dig it and put all your over burden upstream, then next flood, everything will be gone.
Get down to bedrock and see how you go???
1519126053_1519120965_20180217_102202_resized_1.jpg

That's a great effort for that section of creek. It's been heavily worked and often see many leave with zero. I often go there as its close to home for a quick pan fix (yet to find a flake).

Simmo said:
I used to love that area back in the day! Good stuff on getting some colour!
The crevices look great in one of your photos, make sure you clean 'em right out, 'cos the yello stuff will be right at the bottom.
Also, think about digging this area up..... not into the bank, but dig it and put all your over burden upstream, then next flood, everything will be gone.
Get down to bedrock and see how you go???
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...6053_1519120965_20180217_102202_resized_1.jpg

Thanks Simmo! Great advice. I'll give that part a go later and let you know how i get on.

Detectorist said:
That's a great effort for that section of creek. It's been heavily worked and often see many leave with zero. I often go there as its close to home for a quick pan fix (yet to find a flake).

I found one flake the first time i went, nothing for the next 4 or 5 times. I've either found a crevice area no one has touched for a while or the use of a yabbie pump is making the difference.

Nice to just get outdoors after work though, even if i dont find anything.

Simmo, tried the spot you pointed out. Got down to bedrock, panned the over burden and the bedrock material. Used the yabbie pump. Only found one flake of gold.

Went back to a crevice that i had some luck on before and continued with that. And found a few more pieces.

Not a bad 2 hours to be honest. Although, having seen a snake there previously im always on the look out. I heard a noise in the crack of bedrock in the bank and thought it was a snake. Turned out to be some kind of small eel or catfish or something. Not sure what it was doing in the bank.

Heres a picture of my luck for the afternoon:

1519200472_20180221_185414_resized.jpg

Also noticed that the area of the creek had a bit more flow then it previously had on the weekend, however further down the creek was dried up which it wasnt on the weekend. Strange.

Looking forward to the rain to be honest, so i can get up to the golden triangle and try my luck up there.

Gold prospecting is like gambling mate, you never know when its your turn to strike it rich....
Now you know, move on and keep learning!

Simmo said:
Gold prospecting is like gambling mate, you never know when its your turn to strike it rich....
Now you know, move on and keep learning!

I know mate, i enjoy the chase. Working out the areas of low water pressure in flood, who might have cleaned areas out, tell tale signsn where gold would deposit in flood conditions, etc. I'm learning a lot and enjoying it too. I think it helps going to an area that has been worked over a lot too, as when you do find it, its a mini achievment, especially if you are new to it like i am. It also shows me that im thinking along the right tracks.

Im hoping the limited experience i am picking up at Warrandyte will help me when i venture further out of Melbourne. Once the rains start (rain dancing nightly before bed so its bound to happen soon) im thinking about getting a Croc Gold Trap. No need to classify sounds inticing to me. Having said that, not sure if the hefty price tag is justified against the amount of times i will have the use of a flowing stream to utilise it.

Hi all,

I when with my brother last weekend past and we managed to find some small colour about 4 crumes after a full days panning in several spots.
although i was extremely happy to find my first colour :D , i will agree with goldierocks, we won't be returning to Anderson's Creek any time soon.

TheMediocritist said:
Prospecting is permitted in the bed of Andersons Creek which is located off Gold Memorial Rd.
Only non-mechanical hand tools are permitted, excavations must be backfilled and vegetation must not be disturbed.

Park management plans over-ride the exempted list once gazetted.

This means that the bits of Andersons Creek outside the park boundaries are no-go, but panning in the creek inside the park is fine.

Hi TheMediocritist, your comment about the "This means that the bits of Andersons Creek outside the park boundaries are no-go". Why would that be the case? I kind of understood it that the parts of the creek outside the Warrandyte State Park were not restricted. Or is it because the creek is a tributary of the Yarra? Sorry for my confusion. Cheers :)

Snake bite advice (since it's relevant).

Do NOT attempt to suck out the venom, or cut the site of the bite. DO NOT attempt to kill or capture the snake, you'll just end up with more bites.

Carry a compression bandage in your first aid kit when you go bush. If bit, do not wash the site of the wound; the hospital can take a swab to identify the species and administer the correct antivenom. Apply the compression bandage, starting below the bite and working towards the body. The bandage should be firm but not tight enough to cut off your circulation. Contrary to popular belief, snake venom (in Australia at least, where our dangerous snakes are all members of the Elapid family) travels in the lymphatic system, not the blood stream, and this is what the compression bandage aims to slow. This will buy you several extra hours to get to a hospital.

With the marker you keep in your first aid kit, mark the location of the bite on the bandage along with the time of the bite to help emergency personnel.

Splint the leg or sling the arm to prevent movement. You want to keep movement and excitement to a minimum, again, to slow the passage of the venom through the lymphatic system.

Then get to hospital. You've got hours to achieve this, so go slow, call an ambulance or use your emergency beacon.

freemedia said:
TheMediocritist said:
Prospecting is permitted in the bed of Andersons Creek which is located off Gold Memorial Rd.
Only non-mechanical hand tools are permitted, excavations must be backfilled and vegetation must not be disturbed.

Park management plans over-ride the exempted list once gazetted.

This means that the bits of Andersons Creek outside the park boundaries are no-go, but panning in the creek inside the park is fine.

Hi TheMediocritist, your comment about the "This means that the bits of Andersons Creek outside the park boundaries are no-go". Why would that be the case? I kind of understood it that the parts of the creek outside the Warrandyte State Park were not restricted. Or is it because the creek is a tributary of the Yarra? Sorry for my confusion. Cheers :)

Mate Warrandyte is a suburb so you are allowed to prospect within the designated area. Some creeks run through private properties. The water in the creek stinks of sewage as lot of the houses are on septic tanks which leak. Make sure you wear gloves.

Mate Warrandyte is a suburb so you are allowed to prospect within the designated area. Some creeks run through private properties. The water in the creek stinks of sewage as lot of the houses are on septic tanks which leak. Make sure you wear gloves.

Thanks Beagleboy! I'll heed that sewerage advice!
Back on the topic, so your answer is that there is no prospecting allowed in the creek outside of the Warrandyte state park designated area where it flows through? even though the creek begins way before the state park and exits outside of the state park? Would the creek thats outside of the park not fall into Crown or council land which would potentially make it allowable?

Cheers :)

I thought the whole idea of the panning area at Anderson,s Creek was for school kids and Family once of fun outings.
Been so close to Melbourne and such a strong interest in Gold hunting i think the gold deposits of the Creek are unsustainable with current activity.

Warrandyte is Camp Greeny of Melbourne, and the locals don't really like significant activity on their doorstep.

Not sure about upstream, but downstream of the State Park the Creek is within a linear stream side reserve.
Pretty sure the gold does not come in till around the state park boundary.

freemedia said:

Thanks Beagleboy! I'll heed that sewerage advice!
Back on the topic, so your answer is that there is no prospecting allowed in the creek outside of the Warrandyte state park designated area where it flows through? even though the creek begins way before the state park and exits outside of the state park? Would the creek thats outside of the park not fall into Crown or council land which would potentially make it allowable?

Cheers :)

Sorry missed you post above. There is designated area where you can prospect for a reason. Warrandyte is full of greenies so they will not be happy if you start digging up their backyard. There are few spots that I know of where people go panning but I don't think it would be legal. Yarra is definitely off limits.

Thank you to Swinging & Digging and Beagleboy.
My post was more about clarying what is legal or not as there is confusing information relating to gold areas in general so I picked this topic at Andersons Creek for an example. Generally, my preferred areas are around North West Vic (Castlemaine and beyond.) :) Hopefully I get a chance this Easter weekend. :cool:

I was there yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours. Got about 5 tiny pieces.

There is still a slow flow of water down there and its a good place to practice panning and maybe find a piece or two.

I've been there maybe 5 times this year, each time somebody comes and has a chat with me. They have all been nice and interested in what i was doing and i've never had a problem.

Making sure you dont make a mess, leave rubbish behind, leave the creek as you found it, be polite etc. These things help in my opinion.

If you are looking for lots of gold this isn't the place for you. If you want a quick practice or temporary relief from the fever or have a spare few hours but don't want to go miles from melbourne, its pretty good. I quite like being outdoors and away from the city for a couple of hours and the place is peaceful so i enjoy being out there regardless if i get anything.

Latest posts