Can you legally go panning in Warrandyte State Park Victoria.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OldGT said:
I'll assume you've purchased your Victorian Miners Right and had it hand whilst out..

Hi OldGT,

Yes i had it in my pocket. Wouldn't have known about it without visiting this forum and reading through some of the other threads.

Melbournites like me used to visit Anderson's Creek on our bikes and pan nearly 60 years ago - we even used cradles and sluices in those days. In the end we could barely raise a colour along its length. I suggest that as a Newbie you try somewhere better, out in the bush and farther from Melbourne, so that you don't lose heart. The creeks were also full of the hungry around Melbourne in every depression (the good news there is that the last completely new goldfield in Victoria was only discovered in the depression, so the old-timers even missed goldfields in remote country). But don't go remote - less than 90 minutes drive will get you scores of better but accessible goldfields.

Thanks for the advice. I went up to Castlemaine on the weekend to try panning, but no water in the creeks i went to. I need to do some more research i think.

I went back to andersons creek today, equipped with gum boots, and collected the two tools i left behind. No snakes this time (thank god). I tried some panning whilst i was there and found my first tiny piece of gold which i was really happy about.

The reason i've been trying Andersons creek is because its so close to where i am working at the moment. Otherwise i would go further afield.

AM1990 have you google searched venomous snakes of austraia plenty of pics to see what snake is what snake gaiters is another research issue, plenty of designs i like the ones that cover the top of your boot, no good having gaiters if your shoes are not tough enough to withstand the snake fangs

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
AM1990 have you google searched venomous snakes of austraia plenty of pics to see what snake is what snake gaiters is another research issue, plenty of designs i like the ones that cover the top of your boot, no good having gaiters if your shoes are not tough enough to withstand the snake fangs

Hi mate. Yeah i've had a look. I'm pretty sure the one i saw was a small tiger snake.

I had a look at gaiters but they looked expensive. Obviously the cost would be minimal compared to getting bitten.

I have brought some gum boots from bunnings. I have seen another thread on this forum where someone had cut the sole out of the gum boot and slid the remaining gum boot over their walking boots which is a good idea to me but it wont stop my feet getting wet.

I'll do some more research into gaiters and see what i find. Any recommendations on brands?

Simmo said:
What size gaitors do you need? I might have spares here.

Hi Simmo,

Im a size 8 but dont worry mate, i've had a look online and they dont look too pricey. Going to have a look on the weekend. I have my gumboots too, just prefer my walking boots.

Cheers.

BigWave said:
Andersons Creek Warrandyte replenishes a bit after heavy rains, but the creek takes a while to drop to useable levels.

Thanks BigWave. Theres still enough water to pan in but now i'm just constantly looking over my shoulder for snakes. Haven't found anything other than a tiny piece of gold so im going to research other places.

AM1990 said:
Simmo said:

Hi Simmo,

Im a size 8 but dont worry mate, i've had a look online and they dont look too pricey. Going to have a look on the weekend. I have my gumboots too, just prefer my walking boots.

Cheers.

Mate we bought the stock of a closing down (closed!) adventure shop. I can send ya a set of Gaitors no worries. pm me your address.

Simmo said:
AM1990 said:
Simmo said:

Hi Simmo,

Cheers.

Mate we bought the stock of a closing down (closed!) adventure shop. I can send ya a set of Gaitors no worries. pm me your address.
Very generous offer Simmo,this is what is great about this forum.Well done mate.

Simmo said:
AM1990 said:
Simmo said:

Hi Simmo,

Cheers.

Thank you mate, very generous. I really appreciate it. This is a great forum.

AM1990 said:

No worries I'll put a medium set in the post on Monday. Dont forget they are not brand new but in great nick.

Simmo said:
AM1990 said:

No worries I'll put a medium set in the post on Monday. Dont forget they are not brand new but in great nick.

Thank you very much. You're a gentleman!

Just an update on the Warrandyte panning situation.

I spoke to the Vicparks manager for Warrandyte and he confirmed there are only two creeks you can pan within the Warrandyte area.

Andersons Creek and Jumping Creek.

I've been to Andersons Creek a number of times (probably a total of about 10 hours) and found a couple of micro specks and one small piece. There is still running water (very slow) in the creek but not tons. I probably wont be going back there much to be honest.

I checked the water situation at Jumping Creek today also. There is no water in this creek.

I have a day off tomorrow so im going to Andersons one last time for a couple of hours in the afternoon (heading that way for another reason anyway). Going to grab a yabbie pump on the way and see if this helps my luck. The rest of my day tomorrow will be spent researching a new spot for me to go to on Saturday.

For any new guys reading this, if you are wondering where you can and cant pan, i recommend calling Parkvic and asking to be put through to the park manager for a particular park you are interested in. They are very helpful and appreciate you going about it in the correct way.

A new update on Warrandyte Panning (anyone getting bored yet?)

Went up on Saturday, and found loads of colour compared to what i normally find up there. Tried a new spot and spent the day. Hard work but got a fair amount.

Snake Update for Warrandyte

Haven't seen any since the first time, but it doesnt matter if i do now, as Simmo (absolute Gent) sent me down some quality gaitors, which arrived today. Thank you very much mate, i really appreciate it!

Im heading up there tomorrow after work for a couple of hours. Looks like the fever is getting worse.

I'll try and reduce my picture sizes down to upload some pics i took. Beautiful spot to spend the day.

Latest posts