Speculating on dated coin finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's human nature to let your imagination run riot when you find a coin and start wondering about who might have dropped it. I had a funny experience in the mid-80's when I was working as a guitar roadie for a Scottish band that were touring Germany at the time. We arrived in Frankfurt quite early and the sound check was over before lunchtime, so we all split up and went our separate ways to find a spot of lunch. I wandered around some of the shops and got myself a couple of sandwiches and a drink which I decided to eat in a big park I found, nice big shady tree provided the perfect spot for a sit down and munch. While I was sitting there I spotted a large coin near me in the dirt and was shocked to see it was a Brit penny from the 1920's... much imaginings later I had formed an idea of some soldier from one of the WW's dropping it whilst stationed there.
Much later after the gig we were munching again, on the provided rider food backstage when I mentioned to the other roadies and band members about my amazing find... it had another roadie desperately scrambling to his trouser pocket and announcing that the coin was his lucky penny, telling me the exact date on it. He had sat under the exact same tree in a park that was huge.
Food for thought about when coins were dropped, even when you think about it... some of the earliest Australian settlers might have collected coins and brought some over, or had a lucky coin of their own, which nowadays would be remarkably old and a real head scratcher trying to work out how some 17th century Dutch coin ended up being dropped in Australia 8)
C

Even some ancient gypo coins too ,.... be nice to find a really old one of those here. :)

How about the fella that lost his lucky penny in the first place, imagine how his side of the story would go: "and you would never believe it but my lucky penny that I lost ended up finding its way back to me"
Now that is a lucky penny :D

Latest posts