Some finds from Lowmead

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any one wanting to buy any specimens at all? have heaps here an and need to fund next big trip my facebook page is dirty diggers minerals and gemstones its a closed group ill add you in.

Guys, be very careful digging at Lowmead. The ground is very unstable, being nothing but decomposed granite sand.

I just had a very close call there today when an extremely heavy section of bank that I though I was far back from enough for safety, collapsed. A very large piece tumbled out of the collapsing mass and struck me in the chest, crushing me against the floor of the hole and burying me.

I am very grateful to Rockhound and his father who helped me to my car as I was unable to walk, so my mate could drive me to the local ambulance.

I am very lucky to have no broken bones or internal injuries ( though I am as sore as hell) and am probably lucky to be alive.

You don't have to be underneath a bank when it collapses, merely too close beside it as I was. I have been beside collapsing banks before but always been far enough back to not get hit - this time was different.

I have a new level of respect for the sheer power of collapsing earth and will be re-assessing what constitutes a safe distance back and my approach to digging. We all love finding gemstones/gold but always remember, they are only rocks - they aren't worth dying for.

glad yr ok Lefty
a crush to the ego a bit and maybe a bruise or 2
must admite i,v givin it a bit more respect after a few fall ins
better to be safe and dig the top out and work safe
only loose some sweat diggin it out

like most things we do as we get older it,s always good to have someone with you
Nice of rockhound and his dad to help u out
be carefull out there

Gee's,that's not good mate,very glad to hear you will be okay.
You never know what can happen, my mate had some bank collapse and an old stump fell in towards him and just missed his head.
As you say Toogoom,it only takes 5 minutes to safely dig the over burden out of the way.
Will be doubly careful next time I'm digging up there.

Happy to hear you are ok lefty :D I had the same thing happen to me.Pretty scary stuff!!Judging by some of the undercut holes out there some people are taking a big risk.

Good to see your still with us Lefty,... what doesn't kill us makes us smarter,.... I just do open cut and only undermine a bit with the shovel if the stones are there,... never hoppin in under an edge though,.... once again, glad you got out ok and that Rockhound and his Dad were there for you.
Lucky Lefty. we all be rubbin your head for good luck now. ;) :D

Lucky Lefty hey sounds like a new nickname lol

hey justa odd question
Does anyone know the true boundaries on where we dig up there ?
Be good to know yr within it

I'm not exactly sure,... but I would expect a fence of any sort should pull us up short.
The Cattle Farmer is freindly and gives a wave or says hello when you see them driving down the back track through the creek area,... but I havn't had a real good chat with them yet,... I'm sure they would have the best local knowledge of the area though. :D

yeh a fence or gate pulls me up and i,dont go through and do the right thing
but as a group of rockhounds like us should know i reckon
even if it,s to look after our selves out there

I can't say I feel particularly lucky this morning :) I'm still kicking though, that's the main thing.

Just got in strife because I ate wife's lunch last night around midnight when I couldn't sleep. I honestly couldn't remember taking a heap of excess pork out to the other fridge early yesterday evening. I wasn't hit in the head but I was pretty dazed for a while. Yeah, everything was just shimmering purple. Weird.

Something poked me in the back of the ribs last night - I discovered on of the ECG monitors that the ambo stuck on me when he tested my heart function, still stuck to me like a limpet :)

Hey guys im new to this forum. Noticed your in the lowmead area im from calliope and keen to get out and meet people with the prospecting interests. Im just a novice panning around for gold.

welcome grubbygold hope we all find the colour
bloody kids bailed out on me so looks like time wasted at home and no trip up
hope u all u find some

Good to your ok lefty it is dangerous doing what we do and as golden rule dig in pairs lucky rockhound and his father was their to help. Hopping you geel beta.

DirtyDigger said:
Good to your ok lefty it is dangerous doing what we do and as golden rule dig in pairs lucky rockhound and his father was their to help. Hopping you geel beta.

Thanks DD.

As a footnote to this story, it seems I may have suffered a little bit of lasting damage. I had a hearing test done this week and I returned a rather unusual result. At 42, I still have perfect hearing in my left ear. The hearing in my right ear is perfect up until a certain pitch range. It then drops away dramatically to the moderate to severe hearing loss range. As the pitch gets higher - perfect hearing suddenly returns. So it seems I'm half deaf on the right side and in a certain pitch range with perfect hearing both below and above that range. Lady who examined me thinks that would be a pretty unusual overall result to be from industrial deafness. She suspects it may be from the accident - apparently, you don't need to get hit in the head or be exposed to loud noise over a long period, you just need to cop a severe jolt to the body.

It hasn't bothered me when faceting, I can still hear the stone on the lap perfectly. That grinding noise must be at a lower pitch range or something. She wants me to go and have further tests, this can sometimes be corrected by surgery.

At this point, I haven't noticed and debilitating effects. It could even have positives if that pitch range is the same range that nagging occurs at or that kids ask for money at :D

And I learned a fun fact : did you know that you can tell if someone is left or right handed by looking at their ear wax? Whatever your dominant hand, that's the side you instinctively turn your head to when a gust of dust laden air blows in your face. You will have a noticeably greater buildup in one ear than the other. Unless you drive for a living, then you cop it in the right ear anyway from the open window.

I'm not sure where I'll ever use that info but maybe it'll come in handy someday :)

Latest posts