Some finds from Lowmead

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi merry Christmas everyone has anyone been up to mt Maria for a look just near lowmead at all i was thinking of going up to take a look in a couple of days for goodies.

1451047311_screenshot_2015-12-25-22-31-182.jpg

Looks like Mount Maria is part of Gwynne range. But what is it? Private property? State forest? Something else?

hey all
hope you,ve had a great chissy and great new yr
looking forward into finding more colour this yr
cheers len

Thats a good looking pettition,.. real digger photography too,.. definitely real Queenslanders. :D I'm thinking we need a special section on PA for finding petitions like this easily,.. one that has no abilty for coments, just the speil and the shortcut,... make them stickys whilst they are relevant and in play. :D

Queensland is remarkably rich in gemmy potential, the corridor down the east coast/subcoast area being composted mainly of ancient volcanics with many offshoots and outliers further inland - the very geology that supported the formation of most gemstones. There are probably a couple of hundred thousand square kilometres at least.

For all this rich potential, Queensland is remarkably poor in areas actually designated for fossicking. The nearest areas to me are Gympie and the Anakie gemfield - both at least 4 hours drive away. Too far for weekend family trips.

Yet wherever I look as I drive through the region I live in, I see towering granite outcrops and weathered volcanic plugs in all directions - and not so much as a square centimetre of this vast area is allowed to fossickers.

Huge swathes of these ancient volcanics are encompassed by national parks and state forests. In many cases, the terrain is steep and rugged - completely useless for cropping and of little use for grazing but they are usually sitting right on top of some of the most promising geology. Now a national park has been set aside to preserve a significant environment and this is the way it should be. But a state forest is another matter. A state forest is merely a standing timber reserve and every tree with a millable log will ultimately be cut down. Yet if we so much as stick a pick in the ground inside one, the full force of the law will be brought down on us with enormous penalties applying.

What is the reason for this truly amazing double-standard? Recreational fossicking could scarcely have 1% of the impact that logging will have. It makes no sense to lock people with picks and shovels out of areas that are put aside not to protect the natural environment but simply as a resource stock like a coal or iron ore deposit and literally treat them as criminals if they venture in and stick a hand tool in the ground, using laws seemingly based on the notion of environmental protection.

Half-a-day's drive to the nearest designated fossicking area for me while potentially gem-bearing ground is a mere stones throw away from my home in all directions in timber reserves - but if I take a single shovel full of dirt then I am breaking the law and while the action is trivial, the penalty will not be!

The economic benefits of allowing recreational fossicking in state forest (as I believe is the case in NSW) to such a gemmologically rich state as Queensland would be significant.

Thanks for the pics Rockhound,now I have to wait 12 hours before I get to dig,the suspense is going to kill me :)

Those big ones come out of the same hole as the others?

ktmman said:
Thanks for the pics Rockhound,now I have to wait 12 hours before I get to dig,the suspense is going to kill me :)

Those big ones come out of the same hole as the others?
Sorry about that ktm but you should be right,I don't think suspense has ever killed anyone :eek: :D .Yeah mate they all came from the same hole.See you up there tomorrow.

Some decent-sized crystals there Rockhound. I haven't been down to Lowmead for a few weeks. Did you see where the grader has been working just along from the diggings? I had a look on Qtopo and that appears to be a little house block.

Latest posts