Some finds from Lowmead

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have gone there and found nothing at all but usually I take home something. Where did you dig Silver?

I've never found a thing on the southern side of Clarkes road, though there has been a lot of digging done there. The northern side, close to the road itself seems most productive from my experience.

But yeah, Lady Luck is either with you or she ain't - I dug a hole there a while ago and turned up virtually nothing while people a few dozen steps away absolutely cleaned up. And I dug all day up here at Mount Gibson and while I got some decent faceting topaz and some good smokies, I failed to turn up any of the whoppers that I was shown the day before.

That's the thing about we prospecting types - it doesn't matter what else in life we might be pessimistic about, we never stop heading out there to battle the elements, the creepy-crawlies and fatigue in the eternal hope of the big find :)

Hello all,I have been following the forum for a few weeks.I have just joined and this is my first post.I have lived in bundy all my life and didn't know there were any crystals at lowmead.I have always been into fossicking but mainly for sapphire and the yellow stuff.Have been up to clarkes rd for a scratch and found a nice double terminated smoky and a few bits of purple and now I have crystal fever lol.Hey Wrasse how did you go the other day any luck?

Down the track that goes straight in off clarkes rd Lefty(not the angled track to the creek) near where someone left a full sized pick(we used it and left it near where it was laying so the owner can still find it). We still had a great time and got lots of fresh air while we were up there.
Lefty said:
I too have gone there and found nothing at all but usually I take home something. Where did you dig Silver?

I've never found a thing on the southern side of Clarkes road, though there has been a lot of digging done there. The northern side, close to the road itself seems most productive from my experience.

But yeah, Lady Luck is either with you or she ain't - I dug a hole there a while ago and turned up virtually nothing while people a few dozen steps away absolutely cleaned up. And I dug all day up here at Mount Gibson and while I got some decent faceting topaz and some good smokies, I failed to turn up any of the whoppers that I was shown the day before.

That's the thing about we prospecting types - it doesn't matter what else in life we might be pessimistic about, we never stop heading out there to battle the elements, the creepy-crawlies and fatigue in the eternal hope of the big find :)

It was sloggy for us yesterday,.... but Mrs Silver and the three little Silvers all pitched in and we made short work of the digging,.... it was just that either someone had beaten us to the gravel this time, or if there was gravel it had absolutely no gem material in it at all,... almost like some one had a good laugh way back by putting the gravels back in above the white layer,.... minus the gemstones(haha) and then backfilling their hole again(properly). Another Family up there as well as us was having a similar experience to us. :)
ktmman said:
Sounds interesting,my kids will love to go on a treasure hunt while I slog my guts out digging a big hole :)

Welcome to the forum Rockhound,.. you found the right place to be.

Well there you go,... I was finaly able to get a couple of photos up,....This is the treasure that has been buried up at Lowmead,.... I would expect that if someone actualy found it before I post up the map details that we see the photos of their adventure up here also(ha). ;)
1436316930_sam_2041.jpg

1436316930_sam_2043.jpg

Thanks for the welcome silver, Sounds like I found the right place to be.I am only a newbie to fossicking for crystals but I have the bug now.As everyone says Lowmead certainly has been worked over.I have been out to clarkes rd a few times and found enough to keep me interested. :).

Full house fully stoked they would be P 305,.... sandy soil and a shallow target,.... why, you could just dig it with your bare hands it'd be that easy. :lol:

All coins prevously found by yours truly, and lovingly restored(can't do much for coppers), wrapped and rolled in tissues, double bagged in snaplocks, placed in a small glass jar(upside down) so they are stuck in the bottom of the jar and I burned a bit of tissue in the jar before i sealed it to remove any oxygen, just in case no one ever finds it for years and years and it just lays dormant, at least no water will get to it and even if the lid rusts away the bottle has a thinner neck so the bundle of goodies would just sit up high away from any water ingress,.... so it's in there for the hard yards if it has to be. I might wait for about two weeks before I put the map(instructions) on how to find it in the members section, that will give everyone an even chance to get in on it if they are in the area.(timing to be advised).I think that's about as fair as I could be with it all,... after all this is only my second go at doing something like this. :)

excellent work silver seems ya went to alot of trouble in prepping this target for longevity ... good one son .. shoulda put a note in it too maybe ...or maybe not

P305 you must be a bl00dy mind reader,..... I did put a little note in with it(should have put a fiver in for a beer at the lowmead pub),... but it was only a hand written note(ha),.. maybe next one could be cash money ! ;)
phantom 305 said:
excellent work silver seems ya went to alot of trouble in prepping this target for longevity ... good one son .. shoulda put a note in it too maybe ...or maybe not

Wow... Very nice Silver. Thanks for the chance to find them ;)
You just made my trips there 5 times harder...haha, I always struggle to decide, will I detect or will I dig.... My head was always in dig mode there..,now I can see myself after a few hours of nothing, struggling not to start detecting for the rest of the day... :)

Next time I'm up there I'll just start digging where ever it looks like someone has dug before,should be able to find your stash in no time silver.....

Rockhound said:
Thanks for the welcome silver, Sounds like I found the right place to be.I am only a newbie to fossicking for crystals but I have the bug now.As everyone says Lowmead certainly has been worked over.I have been out to clarkes rd a few times and found enough to keep me interested. :).

Welcome aboard the local train Rockhound good to see a few more in the area.

Thanks BundyBen,I see you are after new patches on private property.A couple of years ago my father and myself were caretaking on a 2000 acre cattle property a few km's south of Lowmead.Not being interested in crystals at the time and to busy chasin cattle about I didn't bother having a look around but in hindsight it looks the goods.Lots of alluvial granite country.I think the property changed hands since then but should be no problem gaining access. I will let all know how I go. ;)

Well it's definately in the ground up there BB,.... very shallow and easy to retreive,..... glass bottle bottom is only 1-2 inches below the surface,..... that's all I'm saying.
Bundy Ben said:
Wow... Very nice Silver. Thanks for the chance to find them ;)
You just made my trips there 5 times harder...haha, I always struggle to decide, will I detect or will I dig.... My head was always in dig mode there..,now I can see myself after a few hours of nothing, struggling not to start detecting for the rest of the day... :)

Good luck with that Ktmman,..... should be able to spot places like that to start right off the bat, anywhere and everywhere(ha).
ktmman said:
Next time I'm up there I'll just start digging where ever it looks like someone has dug before,should be able to find your stash in no time silver.....

Latest posts