Snake Valley, Smythesdale, Happy Valley, Linton, Skipton areas information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hold off on the print with the joining map 2-3 as there is a error I will correct it and repost. :8 :8

Here is Bute 1 Reef feeding Sludge Gully and a nice bit of Au ground to the right it running up the hill.

SludgeGully_zps2c3c746b.jpg

Headup

You can use 3rd party maps have you read through this

memory-map.com.au/mapping-software/pc-mapping-software-topo-maps-marine-charts-4x4-maps/features-and-add-ons-for-memory-map-mapping-software.html

Topo2-22_zps9c193c23.jpg

Topo2-21_zps753b2955.jpg

Topo3-3_zpsbfd4f73b.jpg

Any luck Valleyboy? Last time I was out that way all we found was huge amounts of junk and iron.

Valleyboy hey mate if you like you can come out with my mate and wintersnake next Sunday week if your free and you too wintersnake. Cheers let us know guys. Will meet up your way.

PaulFritz said:
Any luck Valleyboy? Last time I was out that way all we found was huge amounts of junk and iron.

Met a few guys out in the mapped areas (between linton and snake valley), Most swing 5k's and not doing so well however lately the SDC guys have been killing it!
I use a modded GP extreme and stay a long way from the doug stone maps.
On the other side of the Carngham - Linton road gets a lot less attention but old workings show Lots of alluvial surfacing of ancient river gravels/conglomerate.
If you do take a look on the other side of the road enter near the water tank on the hill top and move towards Linton as the other way will put you on private property eventually. Another thing is take a propper 4WD you'll know why when you get there.

For anyone else that is looking out snake valley way this area has the site of the last know Puddler operation in Victoria. I believe it was last used in 1984.
Historically Most of the gold wasn't found out where the Doug stone maps are but very close to the current snake Valley township.
The Original Snake Valley town ship was at Preston Hill making Preston hill Rd the main st of snake Valley.

Just a couple of small pieces PaulFritz been a while since been on here but i keep plugging along hoping to find the bigger ones lol im getting more patient i think i enjoy it out there no misses annoying me lol Hows everyone been going? any decent finds out SnakeValley way?

snake valley, smythesdale, scarsdale are all withn few minutes of each other. Alot of locals head out that way, id prefer the creswick area just for convenience. My mate detects that way and does ok, another banks out smythesdale and does similar.

I passed the turnoff's for Snake Valley twice. One near Smythesdale and the other on the way to the Grampians. Couldn't figure it out as they were miles and miles apart.

Good luck if you go out that way.

Ha - ha 5ftfossicker.

Out in the middle of nowhere I generally haven't seen any signs for Sydney myself :D although plenty of Snake Valley ones hours of driving, apart :)

Let us know which one you go to AR and what it's like out there. I passed a historic gold marker near the one heading out to The Grampians.

Driving too fast though, so I didn't get to stop :(

Hi Karen, Snake Valley is situated between (to the north of) Smythsdale, Scarsdale, Linton etc to the west of Ballarat, and to the south of Beaufort and Burrumbeet on the highway to the west of Ballarat going out to Ararat on the way to Halls Gap. The other place you're likely thinking about that has gold interest from the past is likely Cathcart just west of Ararat on the road out to Halls Gap via Moyston and Pomonal. :)

Thank you Scrounger. I went through all of those places so that makes sense.

Had an absolutely yummy GF pie in Beaufort. Can't rate it highly enough. Well worth the stop in a small town with very yummy pie and cake shops.

Karen said:
Thank you Scrounger. I went through all of those places so that makes sense.

Had an absolutely yummy GF pie in Beaufort. Can't rate it highly enough. Well worth the stop in a small town with very yummy pie and cake shops.

Too right Karen, they are fantastic pies, I go out that way regularly and never fail to grab one.
And guess what?
In a couple of weeks I am out that way again. :p
Cheers Steve

Latest posts