Snake Valley, Smythesdale, Happy Valley, Linton, Skipton areas information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there everyone im new to all this so just trying to get a topic up and running for these areas just input or info on anything about these areas would be good, Ive just started getting into going out fairly regularly and thought to start this topic up for people who go around these areas? Im currently out trying Snake valley way and no luck at moment but hopefully the big one is just around the corner :lol: :lol: So come on guys tell me your stories about these areas or any info be much appreciated

I got a few littlens up along Kelly rd a few weeks back. It's pretty hard going there, I was wondering why it was so well detected until a mate told me there's a Doug Stone map with stars right near where we were :rolleyes: no wonder I liked the look of it haha.
If you get his map it should show you lots of spots. I would come have a swing with you but I'm going to WA this weekend.
Good luck

DD

Hey Valleyboy, assume by your name its your local?
I was in the Ballarat Library a while back and picked this up its a good summary of events that lead to the goldrush there kind of a non event as far as records go. While most of the gold there was small, men made a good living due to the deep lodes. The deeper they went the better the gold for example the Britannia Eclipse Mine - worked a lode from 1911 to 1913 to 150 feet in 1911- 92 tons crushed for 19 ozs, 1912 -328 tons crushed for 155 ozs, 1913 - 361 tons crushed for 178 ozs so at best 1/2 ounce per tonne.
0.2 ozs/t, 0.47 ozs/t, 0.49 ozs/t not great when compared with Ballarat but good results for today money that for sure.

If your in Ballarat your welcome to borrow it for a read regardless of the gold history its a good overview of how the area was settled with relation to schools, families and farming etc. might help to get your head around the lay of the land. PM me if your coming into town
1401224148_20140528_065121.jpg
1401223780_snake_val.jpg

Diggerdude said:
I was wondering why it was so well detected until a mate told me there's a Doug Stone map with stars right near where we were
DD

Hey DD & Vboy
Firstly welcone VB...
From memory, or what's left of it, the Snake Valley area became extremely popular about 35 years ago when someone found a decent sized nugget with a detector and it started a mini craze, as does each 'new' large nugget find .... remember that in those days detectors weren't quite what thay are today ... although I was into fishing rather than prospecting at the time my wife's now 91 year old aunt was a member of a gem club and actually owned a detector .... we went out thet way a few times (without success).
Maybe some of the other "older" members can shed some additional light on that period or the locations prospects today or share stories of similar modern day "rushes" started because of 1 good nugget being found.
Cheers Tom

Teemore said:
Diggerdude said:
I was wondering why it was so well detected until a mate told me there's a Doug Stone map with stars right near where we were
DD

Hey DD & Vboy
Firstly welcone VB...
From memory, or what's left of it, the Snake Valley area became extremely popular about 35 years ago when someone found a decent sized nugget with a detector and it started a mini craze, as does each 'new' large nugget find .... remember that in those days detectors weren't quite what thay are today ... although I was into fishing rather than prospecting at the time my wife's now 91 year old aunt was a member of a gem club and actually owned a detector .... we went out thet way a few times (without success).
Maybe some of the other "older" members can shed some additional light on that period or the locations prospects today or share stories of similar modern day "rushes" started because of 1 good nugget being found.
Cheers Tom

Spot on Tom, I was reading a mines report of the alluvial claim they pegged right near a big nugget find 30 years ago. They got over 100 oz's from a hole 25m x 10m x 4m deep. It was on the hill to the east of the crossroads there, I found the pit but only got 1 little nugget just down hill from it.

DD

That's a nice book goldigga has got, with some great info. I got a photocopied version of it from the snake valley historic society, it was only $10 and the society members are extremely helpful and knowledgable ;) You should give them a call they meet once a week at the hall across the road from the store.

DD

Thanks alot gents already some great info and stories I will have to get a copy of that book for sure could be best $10 bucks ive spent ever lol I had a look at the big mine yesty down nugget gully rd just in linton near the old cemetary its still a massive sight cant believe the size of the mine and all that was done by hand gee they must have been tough old buggers back then...

There are lots of unmarked/undocumented areas around snake valley township in public land that have been worked by old timers as well. Unfortunately there is also a lot of brush and gorse coverage in these areas too.

Just a little more info on Snake valley from one of the historical society publications. A Mines report from the district mines inspector claiming that "Snake valley is estimated as the most rich alluvial deposit in Victoria" Cant find the book at the moment but recall it was late 1800's.

Snake valley is where the big nugget, the Ballarat nugget, which was found a couple of years ago came from. Though it was dozed up and then detected. Not by a new comer as the story circulated said. :D

Yeah, that was the fairy tale that was told to everyone. Was certainly well worked after the dozer had done its thing :D Notice this, it was shown by a guy that has working claims, advertised my him, even named by him. And went troppo for someone posting the pic of it on his site (the guy who posted its site). Why, if it wasn't even his nugget???? Im not asking why myself by the way, it was found, but the story behind it, twas a fairy tale.
Oh yeah, he even wrote an article about it :D

South of Snake Valley has given up lots of gold over the years and I'am sure there will be more to surface, work the upper leads on the slopes that fed them with a 12" plus coil.

Hard Hills, Chinaman Flat, as well Madden Flats at the corner of Kellys rd and Possum Gully rd I and others that had camped there would often pick up a ounce on a weekend campout, 8)

Hi Detrack,

I like the look of that mapping software.

What is that mapping software?
Does it cover the central victoria area?
Where can i get it?
How much?

Any info you can provide is much appreciated,

Cheers

Gday Detrach,
Good to see you are still around and have joined
this forum.
For those who don't know your work it will be
a real eye opener for them to gain the knowledge
you so freely offer.
And yes, anyone who hasn't seen your 3d maps
before will ask the same question GFC07.
Welcome mate.
Cheers Steve :)

GFC07 said:

Check out Memory-Map, it's not free and not completely up to date but has a nice 3D option and ability to add tracks, marks, comments etc.
Cheers T.

meant to add when you but it it does allow you to use it on 3 different pc's/tablets etc, have mine on a desktop (allows 3d viewing), my iPad for travelling/tracking,marking waypoints), and macbook. The skill to do the nice additions you'll have to acquire as Detrack has so capably done.)

GFC07 said:
Hi Detrack,

I like the look of that mapping software.

Does it cover the central victoria area?
Where can i get it?
How much?

Any info you can provide is much appreciated,

Cheers

beautiful map work Detrack and i second the above

Thanks Steve and Headup

GFC07

Memory-Map is the software

There area is always worth alook around, it has had a few control burns over the years with some very nice lumps found so who knows with the new Detector coming :cool:

Hope these turn out below

Topo1_zps5e8a03c7.jpg

Topo2_zps81515921.jpg

Topo3_zpsfd86cc96.jpg

IF YOU RIGHT CLICK ON THE IMAGE AND SAVE EACH ONE THEN YOU CAN PRINT THEM AND JOIN THEM AS ONE.

TopoGISMap_zpsd04ba12a.jpg

Latest posts