Snake sightings, encounters and reminders.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snakes are one of the most misunderstood creatures, they are similar to spiders and sharks in that they should be respected, not feared. If you have a snake too close to your home that worries you there are plenty of people that will relocate it for you if you are unable to do so yourself. Most snake bites occur when people with a fear of snakes try to kill them.

reynard said:
Garyo if tigers are on the decline please come and tell all of the one,s around my way that they should not be here
Jim
You must be living in healthy part of the world , do you have many frogs around where you are Jim ? .
By the way Browns main food source are mice , so those with bird cages often get mice so in snake areas its a good chance there will be some hanging around .

There were two snakes talking.
The 1st one said Sidney, are we the type of snakes that wrap ourselves around our prey and squeeze and crush until they re dead? Or are we the type of snakes who ambush our prey and bite them, and they are poisoned?.
The second snake says Why do you ask?
The 1st one replies: I just bit my lip!

Snakes are coming out this time of the year. Several have been spotted around our area in backyards. As said if you call someone who knows what they are doing then it all will work out. Please don't try to kill them. They are a valuable part of the ecosystem and mostly if left alone only are after what we call vermin. Mice ,Rats, Spiders etc..

Anolphart said:
There were two snakes talking.
The 1st one said Sidney, are we the type of snakes that wrap ourselves around our prey and squeeze and crush until they re dead? Or are we the type of snakes who ambush our prey and bite them, and they are poisoned?.
The second snake says Why do you ask?
The 1st one replies: I just bit my lip!

1513161631_1512791652_67.jpg

What they don,t tell you is it will cost you around $60 even if they find nothing "how many times you going to call them back" and its more if they find it. As for tigers living on frogs of course they eat them but not exclusivly. Around here most are found in hay sheds ,wood sheds ,around rubbish bins or compost bins and these are places that attract mice not frogs.most people who are bitten either step on the snake 0r when gadening /weeding etc.
They are very active at night when thy are hunting so people walk out the back door in the dark and step on them.
It cost me $3600 to save my dog thanks to one of these loverly creatures so they get no sympathy from me
Jim

Found this on the front verandah this morning it's only a small one about 5.5ft long.I reckon it's a brown but the old boy say's it's a carpet snake.What do you guy's reckon?
1514078464_img_3239.jpg
1514078501_img_3240.jpg

reynard said:
What they don,t tell you is it will cost you around $60 even if they find nothing "how many times you going to call them back" and its more if they find it. As for tigers living on frogs of course they eat them but not exclusivly. Around here most are found in hay sheds ,wood sheds ,around rubbish bins or compost bins and these are places that attract mice not frogs.most people who are bitten either step on the snake 0r when gadening /weeding etc.
They are very active at night when thy are hunting so people walk out the back door in the dark and step on them.
It cost me $3600 to save my dog thanks to one of these loverly creatures so they get no sympathy from me
Jim

They don't advocate DIY snake catching but really if they cared about snakes and not merely profits they should be. Despite what they preach of the dangers in attempting to capture a snake yourself it can be done very safely. You can buy a kit on ebay (hook, pin stick, bag) for little more than the price of getting a snake catcher out. To stay safe you'll need a full body suit and gloves which protects all but your face from bites and you should never have your face anywhere near the snake in the first place. Chances are you'll take a few strikes as you learn to capture them efficiently but it gets easier with practice. When the weather warms up keep your gear where you can grab it in a hurry. One of my dogs got bitten a couple years ago and cost $1200 at the vet but I know she was the aggressor having decided to chase after an eastern brown snake. Kind of hard to blame a snake for simply defending itself which is most often the case with dogs.

You are a sick puppy Anolphart, but funny. It sure looks like a brown skin to me or depending on where you live a mulga or king brown. (Just thought I would cheer you up).
Jim

After almost 30 years around Creswick and the Creswick Forest not seeing a snake or hearing about snake encounters I have heard of three encounters in the last two weeks - two browns and a likely tiger.

One brown and one tiger were run over on Petticoat Road just in the last week. I saw the dead brown on the back of a ute and it was over one metre long and apparently well-fed by its girth.

A new hazard to keep you on your toes. Cant put up a pic till I get back to work but brother sent me a pic and video today of a tiger up in the trees. Never seen one in a tree before but if ya worried about snakes might pay to look up as well :)

Whilst I protect against snakes around my house/dogs/kinder etc and will kill them if they are menacing, they're a crucial part of our bio-diversity, and we must let them go their way in the wild.
Mankind will always have predators in every country on earth, and so it should be. That's just nature.
I hope that mankind (or preferably nature) finds a cure for-this potentially species threating event.

Bjay said:
A new hazard to keep you on your toes. Cant put up a pic till I get back to work but brother sent me a pic and video today of a tiger up in the trees. Never seen one in a tree before but if ya worried about snakes might pay to look up as well :)
It's not that uncommon for Tiger Snakes to be in trees. Remember years ago on a search in Blackwood are having one drop out of a tree dislodged by a backpack.

Latest posts